Books for Plastic Surgery Sub-I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDrToBe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips for what books would be good for my plastic surgery rotations? I have been looking around and it seems like these are the top options:
1. Michigan manual of plastic surgery
2. The Hand: Anatomy, Examination. and Diagnosis
3. Grabb and Smith's Plastic Surgery

I have a pocket version of Plastic Surgery Essentials for Medical Students, is it worth getting another pocket book such as Michigan Manual? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

My chief resident told me to get Essentials of Plastic Surgery by Jeffery Janis. Though I haven't used Michigan manual to compare; I've found Janis to be clear and concise with just the right amount of info. It's also slightly more up to date(2007 vs 2004). Order this directly from qmp.com to save ~50 dollars off amazon price.

I also heard good things about Plastic surgery secrets plus by Weinzweig but have found it hard to get through. Seems a little disjointed in the question based format it presents information. Maybe better as a review text to prepare for pimping the night before?

I've read the first 5 chapters of Grabb and Smith and like it so far but it seems like an inefficient way to get information; blocks and blocks of text. Good if you have time and as a reference. I was able it to borrow it from the library on a semi permanent basis as nobody else my year is applying to plastics =).

Thanks for the response, I will check out the Janis book. I got The Hand, it's a pocket book, has great color anatomy figures plus hand exam tips (I am on the hand service right now). Lucky for you you're the only one applying, there are five of us :(

Hahaha, necroed this thread, but thanks for sharing. Always appreciate more plastics resources.