Book Reimbursement Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

customx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to purchase some of the required textbooks before this quarter ends, but was wondering how reimbursement works with the Army. I was told by a few people that the Army doesn't actually reimburse you for the entire cost of each book, and in many cases I will need to pay out of pocket. I just entered the first textbook on MODS and I'm being told that I need to submit a waiver for a book published in 2014 because it's considered a "new" textbook. Is there any way to see what the reimbursement rate is before I actually proceed with the purchase? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just going to submit the waiver request for all the books and I'll return them to Amazon if I get turned down.

The issue might be buying it on Amazon. You would have a better chance of getting reimbursed if you can purchase it straight from the school, even if the price is higher. We have the digital book things that nobody likes so I haven't had to buy any books (nor would I if they asked) but if your school requires it I would think you'd be able to purchase them straight from the school. If that's the case you should get reimbursed as long as the school does indeed require it.

The issue might be buying it on Amazon. You would have a better chance of getting reimbursed if you can purchase it straight from the school, even if the price is higher. We have the digital book things that nobody likes so I haven't had to buy any books (nor would I if they asked) but if your school requires it I would think you'd be able to purchase them straight from the school. If that's the case you should get reimbursed as long as the school does indeed require it.

Not all schools have their own bookstore. Most do, but not all.

The source of the purchase shouldn't matter as long as the book is the same book and edition as noted on a required book list provided by the school.

Actually, the price of the books at the bookstore, may be capped at a ower rate (say, Amazon) based on geographical location. A bookstore in the midwest may charge $10.00 less for a text sold at a bookstore in Boston. Amazon charges the same no matter whee you are located.

Just because a book is required by the school does not mean that you will be reimbursed. Review books (including all of the Lippincotts) will not be reimbursed. Also, be sure to upload a copy of the required reading list or syllabus as well as proof of payment (not the invoice stating how much you owe).

Reactions: 1 user
Uploaded a copy of my Amazon receipt and the syllabus showing the required book list and everything was approved today.

On a side note, is there a limit to the amount that we can be reimbursed for loupes? The MODS handbook says $1000 or the price of the loupes. I asked my MODS manager if $1000 is the max and she said "submit a request." Not quite the answer I was looking for.

Max for loupes is $1400

Sent from my FRD-L04 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I was reimbursed $1400 w/o light unless it's changed in the past couple of months. You can even go to the reimbursement page and enter in the amount and once it asks for an exception then you know it's too much.

I was reimbursed $1400 w/o light unless it's changed in the past couple of months. You can even go to the reimbursement page and enter in the amount and once it asks for an exception then you know it's too much.

I'm looking to get 4.5 or 5.5 expanded field which will probably run close to $2000. I don't mind paying some out of pocket, but it's nice to get an idea of how much to expect.

I'm looking to get 4.5 or 5.5 expanded field which will probably run close to $2000. I don't mind paying some out of pocket, but it's nice to get an idea of how much to expect.
Yeah, I got 4.5x prismatic loupes from q-optics that were $1960. So, I'm paying $560 out of pocket.

OK, I kinda let this go just to see where it would end up. Now here is the long and the short of loupes in the Army:

1. Your school needs to verify that they are REQUIRED for all students within your year group. Meaning if you don't need them until D3 you will not be reimbursed in the beginning of D1 or D2. Your school does this online through MODS, so don't bother asking for a letter from someone at the school.
2. The Army will reimburse for the loupes and only the loupes. Not the lights, head strap, box, engraving or anything other than basic loupes with magnification of choice.
3. When you submit for reimbursement, you must supply a RECEIPT not the invoice and it must be itemized. That way the Army knows that you have already paid the bill and what it is paying for and not pay for any of the extras.
4. Max reimbursement is $1400.00. Now, the people who process reimbursement requests have been doing it for more than a minute, and have a pretty good idea how much they cost and from whom. It will be hard for you to justify $1400.00 when the last two or three people at your school have been putting in for $860.00 for Designs for Vision loupes.

Caveat is if loupes are included in the tuition (not itemized separately) and the school buys them for you then you don't have to worry about it, just pick from whatever the school offers you. Some schools throw in a light as part of that package as well...

Now for a bigger life-lesson that you will learn in the military, and this applies to a lot of threads I've been seeing lately: if you keep going out of your way and asking for someone to say "no" to you it won't take very long for someone to do just that. Keeping your head down, knowing the rules/regs, and being polite will get you a lot farther.

Now for a bigger life-lesson that you will learn in the military, and this applies to a lot of threads I've been seeing lately: if you keep going out of your way and asking for someone to say "no" to you it won't take very long for someone to do just that. Keeping your head down, knowing the rules/regs, and being polite will get you a lot farther.

I just wish my MODS manager was more polite and knew what we are reimbursed for. She emailed me today and said I would only be reimbursed $1,000 for loupes :annoyed: