book/reference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shizzle123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Long-time lurker since pre-MCAT days. Wow, time flies. Anyways, currently in an IM program with strong interest towards HPM fellowship. In fact, I begin an elective tomorrow. I was just curious as to what people would recommend a good read for the subspecialty as a whole? I love PCNOW and have been reading plenty of that, but was wondering if anyone had to recommend a real hard copy reference, which book would it be? While perusing Amazon, the oxford handbook has piqued my interest, as well as the handbook by Dr Susan Botdke and Dr. Kathy Ligon.

Ideally, it would contain topics such as analgesia/symptom control and have dosing/frequency etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for sharing PCNOW. I would also like to know what resources are available for palliative care.

This is what i have read/am reading over the course of my hpm fellowship.

I debated about buying a textbook but given the dust covered status of my harrisons, i havent bought one yet.

Demystifying opioid conversions is an excellent book (i would say required reading for hpm fellows)

Unipac series is good but probably not needed for an elective. Aahpm does publish a primer on palliative care if you want something smaller.

Pcnow/fast facts does come in an app too

Palliative care perspectives

Im planning on getting the following when i start my job and have cme fund available:
Hospice medical director handbook
Mastering Communication with Seriously Ill Patients: Balancing Honesty with Empathy and Hope

Other general/mainstream books relevant to hpm that are good to read and discuss
Being mortal
When breath becomes air
Kubler Ross' on death and dying
No good deed
The spirit catches you and you fall down
Diving bell and the butterfly
.... im sure there are more ( perhaps a thread on mainstream book recommendations would be a good idea?)

Reactions: 1 user
This is what i have read/am reading over the course of my hpm fellowship.

Other general/mainstream books relevant to hpm that are good to read and discuss
Being mortal
When breath becomes air
Kubler Ross' on death and dying
No good deed
The spirit catches you and you fall down
Diving bell and the butterfly
.... im sure there are more ( perhaps a thread on mainstream book recommendations would be a good idea?)

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down should be required reading in every specialty. When Breath Becomes Air is on my kindle...need to move it up, I think.