Book Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xClashx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking for recommendations for resources for all my clerkship rotations.

My rotations are only 1 month, so that is the only time I will have to study for the Shelf Exams. Which resources (aside from Uworld) do you think are the best for that time?

I have surgery and IM as my first 2 rotations (lucky me :smack:).

Went through the form and saw a lot of suggestions, but wanted to know which ones are doable in 1 month.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had some recommendations bestowed upon on me: Mass Gen Pocket Medicine, Case Files for everything except Surgery, Dr Pestanas surgery notes, IM essential questions for IM, First AID/Lange for Psych

Reactions: 1 users
Surgical Recall is great for answering pimp questions. Also, I agree with the above.

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

I passed all of mine with:

Family Medicine: Case Files, AAFP questions (you have to join but it's free), OnlineMedEd
Internal Medicine: Step Up, UWorld, OnlineMedEd, part of Case Files
--StepUp is really tough to do in a month. I'd recommend focusing on other resources if time is limited
OBGYN: Case Files, OnlineMedEd, UWorld, ACOG questions (had subscription via school)
--Did not love Case Files for OBGYN, I'd recommend some other resource.
Pediatrics: Case Files, UWorld, OnlineMedEd
Psychiatry: First Aid for Psych, UWorld
Surgery: Pestana (book), OnlineMedEd, UWorld
--This is enough to pass, but probably add something if you want to rock it. I've heard good things about the Pestana audio/video.

Last edited:
I had some recommendations bestowed upon on me: Mass Gen Pocket Medicine, Case Files for everything except Surgery, Dr Pestanas surgery notes, IM essential questions for IM, First AID/Lange for Psych

IM Essential Online (for IM Shelfs / Step 2 CK) is running a holiday special. From now until Dec 28th it is free (check attached screen shot). Additionally they are running a $10 fee reduction until Jan 5, 2018. If you join ACP (which is free for medical students), the IM Essentials Online suite cost as an ACP member after their discount will be $34.95. You get 500 Shelf / Step 2 CK type questions, 1000 flashcards and their IM Essentials online textbook

Although I already use UWorld, I find IM Essentials helpful because each question has a link that directs you precisely to the relevant info being tested. That saves time from using the internet search while reviewing UW

Sample question attached as well

cheers
CB811F2F-6844-42AA-8ACE-7338F6071243.jpeg
40BB2A5F-4249-43BD-AEBA-E60BF23F7F8C.jpeg

I agree with above. I mostly just used Uworld to pass. I really like the Washington manual of medical therapeutics to supplement in IM if I didn't get something in uworld