Black women stem professors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eskisme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I love medicine and science and cannot see myself not working in the medical field.

But lately I've been so distraught thinking about the lack of black women stem professors at my school and many other PWIS. I love teaching and mentoring students of all ages. I definitely can see myself as an educator and am seriously starting to consider this path.

My question is: can MDs become professors of let's say intro bio courses? I want to teach college students probably at an LAC.

Does anyone have any knowledge on how I can teach at a college after a career in medicine? Would I have to get a PhD?

I just really want to help increasethe number of black women in stem and medicine and think/hope I could be influential helping out first year college students.

Thanks for reading, would love any and all input✌

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I go to a large state school and one of the professors for our genetics course is an MD, I believe we also have an MD/PhD teaching physiology and my A&P 1 and 2 was taught by my favorite professor who also is an MD, she decided after medical school that she didn't want to practice clinical medicine anymore. So it is definitely possible. I think the main reason why you don't see more people doing this is simply because you will most likely be taking a pay cut by teaching and practicing medicine on the side instead of just practicing medicine full time.

I believe a teaching certificate is not required to be a professor, they are typically looking for somebody who has some sort of doctorate and who is doing research in the field that they are teaching, and thus is knowledgeable on the subject.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard that there are a few MDs that teach bio at UC Berkeley. One (in pediatrics) that teaches Medical Ethno/Nutritional botany. You may not have to wait until you're done practicing.