Biochemistry Class Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SteinEye

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm applying this 2017-2018 cycle but I still need to finish a biochemistry class for some schools I am applying to. I currently work full time at an eye clinic, which prevents me from taking them at a local university or community college due to my work hours.

My top choice school listed two online courses that I can take to fulfill the requirement: one from UC Berkeley and one from UNE. But many reviews say negative things about these courses.

Another option I have is taking an accelerated 4-5 weekends course at Southern California University of Health Sciences. This is very pricey, but at least I don't have to quit my job to take this class. If anyone has taken/is taking the accelerated biochem course from this program, do you mind sharing your input on the program? Is it doable for someone working full time? Would it be worth commuting 1.5 hours to take this course?

If anyone else has fulfilled the biochemistry requirement by other means, what course did you take and where did you take it? All feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

This might not be helpful, but I took Biochemistry as a regular class (non-online) at my university in the spring.

I wouldn't recommend taking an accelerated course. You'll most likely have more biochem in school and if your foundation isn't strong, the material will be harder. There's no way you can learn biochem in 4-5 weeks. Take the online course if need be. I took a summer course of o-chem and even that was too quick to really pick up everything I needed for the oat/our first year general science course.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't recommend taking the accelerated class. I just finished taking biochem as a summer class and it was horrible, I managed to get a decent grade but I didn't retain anything because I didn't have time

I have to agree with the above comments as well. I similarly, took an accelerated organic chem class over the summer, 4 weeks, and it made it very difficult to retain any information. Once I was done studying for the 1st exam, I didn't have time to even reflect before I had to start studying fort the 2nd.