Bioastronautics/Space Medicine Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EngineerMedic

It's not rocket surgery...
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about which universities do research in bioastronautics, space medicine, etc. So far the only ones I've found are MIT/Harvard (Bioastronautics Training Program | Harvard-MIT Health Sciences and Technology), University of Colorado - Boulder (Bioastronautics), and Texas A&M (Graduate Training Program in Space Life Sciences :: Program Overview). Is anyone aware of any others, or are these three about it? I understand it's a pretty niche topic, so there probably aren't many places that study it.

Members don't see this ad.

Just out of curiosity, what even is Space medicine. Is there a seminal paper or study somewhere that defines it? Is just studying the body in low gravity environments?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, what even is Space medicine? Is there a seminal paper or study somewhere that defines it? Is just studying the body in low gravity environments?

I'm not aware of a specific paper that gives it a formal definition (although there may be one; I'm just not familiar with it), but I think Wikipedia gives a good summary:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_medicine said:
Space medicine is the practice of medicine on astronauts in outer space [....] to ensure that astronauts work in a safe environment. The main objective is to discover how well and for how long people can survive the extreme conditions in space, and how fast [sic] they can adapt to the Earth's environment after returning from their voyage.
The main challenges tend to be changes in force of gravity (~0g in orbit, 3-5g on launch/reentry, ~0.4g on Mars, 1g after return to Earth, etc) and radiation exposure.

Gravity affects all organs from relatively little (but some) to a lot (i.e.: muscle atrophy). One of my own military colleagues did some work placing pilots and astronauts in a centrifuge equivalent to mimic G forces briefly experienced. Their brains appear to develop changes in microvascular regions... There is a lot to learn.

Reactions: 1 user
You have very similar interests to me! I was originally applying MD/PhD hoping to do some sort of engineering focused on space medicine. I applied to the Harvard/MIT program, and Texas A&M. Dartmouth has a space medicine lab, but it is very small. I worked as a research assistant there. I did not apply to UC boulder because they were very resistant to my interests in pursuing bioastronautics with medicine. However, they have a new professor there in bioastronautics who may be able to help you bridge the programs. I ended up choosing between Texas A&M and UTMB. Ultimately, I chose UTMB because that is where they have the aerospace medicine residency, as well as a concentration for med students. I am currently doing my first research rotation at NASA and loving it! This is truly the heart of aerospace medicine! Feel free to inbox me and we can talk!

Reactions: 1 user
You have very similar interests to me! I was originally applying MD/PhD hoping to do some sort of engineering focused on space medicine. I applied to the Harvard/MIT program, and Texas A&M. Dartmouth has a space medicine lab, but it is very small. I worked as a research assistant there. I did not apply to UC boulder because they were very resistant to my interests in pursuing bioastronautics with medicine. However, they have a new professor there in bioastronautics who may be able to help you bridge the programs. I ended up choosing between Texas A&M and UTMB. Ultimately, I chose UTMB because that is where they have the aerospace medicine residency, as well as a concentration for med students. I am currently doing my first research rotation at NASA and loving it! This is truly the heart of aerospace medicine! Feel free to inbox me and we can talk!
I know this is three years old, but better late than never! I am a highschool student and I am interested in becoming a doctor and specializing in space medicine or emergency medicine. I also wanted to do a MD/PHD in bio astronautics, but I discovered that you can do a residency in aerospace medicine. I have a few questions about undergraduate majors and minors and about the UTMB medical school aerospace medicine concentration.

1. How hard is it to get into the UTMB medical school aerospace engineering concentration?
2. Is it harder to get into the medical school if you apply out of state?
3. Do you still do all of the other classes and clinical rotations that normal medical students do?
4. I am also interested in radiology preventive, emergency, internal medicine. Does this medical school have strong programs and/or a rotation in these specialties?
5. I am interested in going to Purdue to major in aerospace engineering and doing pre med, is that a good idea? I also am interested in biomedical engineering. Should I double major or do something more general like mechanical engineering and choose my electives in aerospace and biomedical engineering? Is there any other college you recommend me going to based on my career interests?
6. During college I want to get a lot of shadowing experience and research in space medicine. Is there are college you would recommend me going to that has a strong engineering program, strong research opportunities, and a strong ore med program?
7. What did you get a bachelor's in college?
8. What school do you go to for your undergraduate degree?