Bio, G chem, and Orgo Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Queen Beach

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bio
If I get a question that a woman carries a sex-linked gene do i automatically assume it's recessive unless she expresses the phenotype then homozygous?

G chem
Is this a type of ? that i'll get on the DAT? if yes then how do i solve it?

What volume of HCl was added if 20 ml of 1 M NaOH is titrated with 1 M HCl to produce a pH=2?

Orgo please check attchment
WIN_20170622_23_58_27_Pro_LI (2).jpg

Members don't see this ad.

If a women is a carrier for a sex-linked gene it means it is a recessive disorder and she is heterozygous. If she actually expresses a diseased phenotype then unless it tells you, it could be a recessive or dominant disorder. You would need to examine the phenotype of her offspring to tell which.

You probably won't see something exactly like on the DAT but do need to understand titrations. This is really two problems.
The first problem is you need to neutralize the base. So 20 ml of HCl is added to do that. At that point your pH is 7 and you've got 40 mL total of solution.
We know we want the H+ concentration to be 1x10^-2 and this can now be viewed as almost a separate m1v1 = m2v2 problem.

Concentration of HCl solution used m1 = 1M
Volume of HCl solution needed v1 = x
Final H+ concentration to get pH = 2 m2 = 1x10^-2M
Final volume of the solution at pH 2 v2 = 40 + x mL

v1 = 0.4 mL

Final answer is 20.4, 20 mL to neutralize all the base and an additional 0.4 mL to get the pH down to 2.

When you do ozonolysis under oxidizing conditions or oxidative cleavage reactions, any resulting aldehyde will be oxidized
to a carboxylic acid. In the top 2 examples, those will split into 2 aldehydes that are then both further
oxidized to carboxylic acids. In the bottom 2 examples, you are left with 1 ketone and 1 aldehyde so only the aldehyde is
oxidized into the carboxylic acid.

Reactions: 1 user