Best ways to save $ in school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danny0230

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'll be going to school this fall and will be paying for it all with loans. Since I'm coming right out of undergrad I haven't really had a chance to save up any $, so I wanted to get the opinion of dental students on the best way to save money while in school.

I really want to minimize my loans so any advice on what worked for you or what you wish you did to save a few bucks here and there would be a big help.

Members don't see this ad.

Find cheap housing close to school and share it with as many fellow students as you can stand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'll be going to school this fall and will be paying for it all with loans. Since I'm coming right out of undergrad I haven't really had a chance to save up any $, so I wanted to get the opinion of dental students on the best way to save money while in school.

I really want to minimize my loans so any advice on what worked for you or what you wish you did to save a few bucks here and there would be a big help.

As stated before, get cheap housing, split it with someone else.

Make your own food and avoid "splurging" at "night-outs".

Remember, it's not "your money", it's "borrowed money", keep that in mind and practice self-control with that loan cash. Its very easy to spend it, but restrain yourself. Don't go overboard and get all stressed out either.

If you live close to school and can use public transportation, don't get a car. I've used a car for many years and I now that I'm using public transportation (I'm in NYC) I now realize how expensive a car was (gas, insurance, tickets, maintenance).

Cheap housing and public transportation will allow you to save the most.
Try to cook at home.
Don't drink Starbucks' beverages; go cheap.
Dine out occasionally.
Since you're moving away from home (I assume), try to get a cell phone plan that gives you subsidized rates for long distance calls. Or just use a calling card.

Home cooking also makes for healthier living. If you are looking to slim down this is the way to go.

don't go out drinking every weekend (or ever in my opinion); use ur money on needs and cheap wants (like a hag n dans ice cream bar); room mates help immensely; cook; no car, no taxis, just buses and trains;

don't go out drinking every weekend (or ever in my opinion); use ur money on needs and cheap wants (like a hag n dans ice cream bar); room mates help immensely; cook; no car, no taxis, just buses and trains;

I think Haagen Dazs is a waste of money, unless someone else is treating you. :D . Some people like it, though. :)

If you wanna spend money on ice cream, get Ben n Jerry's Chunky Monkey:thumbup::thumbup:

Bring lunch to school

I survived cheaply on Cup-O-Noodle...only 20cents each. On weekend, I'd go to Costco and pig out on their free samples.

I survived cheaply on Cup-O-Noodle...only 20cents each. On weekend, I'd go to Costco and pig out on their free samples.

Ladies and Gentleman,
we have a winner for the 2007-2008 cheapest student award!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Don't use the card. Pay cash as much as you can. Trust me, it hurts more to give away actual money than just signing a piece of paper!

Now THAT is how you save money!:laugh: :thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked some second years what books they actually read and used the internet for the ones I did need . I also scavenged for extra supplies by asking the classes above me for stuff they didn't use anymore. My 3.5X loupes were $140+shipping on ebay and I doubt I'll need another pair in the next 4 years. My Laptop cost me 300 dollars 3 years ago and any repairs are done with a soldering iron and a multimeter; BTW Black Friday is a great time for cheap laptops. I have no Landphone or TV and got the cheapest internet i could find (verizon). I don't really go on dates anymore and gifts consist of what I get for free at the dental school or can make cheaply; if anyone is angry at me then at least I don't have to listen due to lack of said phone.

I can't beat the ramen/free sample thing. I generally eat balanced meals although I do buy a lot of chicken and *try* to make it last the week.

BTW: Cookies and Cream all the way!!!

Anybody willing to live in a cardboard box???:laugh:

living on your own is definitely a humbling experience; you tend to look back at all the things you took for granted when you were home.

some more things: don't pay for an extravagant cable package; basic cable will get the job done for your entertainment; try to see if u can get internet connection from neighboring people.

If you want an even cheaper alternative than basic cable, just hammer a nail into the cable that runs into your neighbor's house and connect your own cable to it.:D Free tv!
On a more serious note, if you're living with room mates, each of you can pitch in about 70-100 bucks and you guys can get a free-to-air satellite. It's a one time charge, but you get 400 channels. Costs around 250 bucks I think.

i just have to chime in on the ice cream debate - Ben and Jerry's Half Baked!!! MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm

sneak a flask into the bar

When times get tough, eat at those "fast-casual" Mexican restaurants; but don't order any food. Just get a water and then fill up at their salsa bar on all the tomatos, onions, cilantro, and hot sauce you can.

pack your lunch. find cheap/free things to do for fun. don't buy a new car with your loan $$ or plan an international trip with it. try buying the off brands in the grocery store.

ditto what everyone said about getting a roommate(s). not only will rent usually work out a little cheaper, you really save money when you split up the bills (cable, elect, gas, etc).
that being said, don't run out and get all the fancy cable packages right away.. give it a month and see how much you actually use it. i went out and spent ~$2000 on a tv/speakers, and i barely ever watch tv. i ended up getting rid of hbo and other packages and then going down to a more basic cable plan.

also the packing a lunch thing is definitely smart, although i still buy lunch everyday because i'm lazy

ditto what everyone said about getting a roommate(s). not only will rent usually work out a little cheaper, you really save money when you split up the bills (cable, elect, gas, etc).
that being said, don't run out and get all the fancy cable packages right away.. give it a month and see how much you actually use it. i went out and spent ~$2000 on a tv/speakers, and i barely ever watch tv. i ended up getting rid of hbo and other packages and then going down to a more basic cable plan.

also the packing a lunch thing is definitely smart, although i still buy lunch everyday because i'm lazy

Better yet, get an antenna. Those $7 bunny ears have saved me hundreds of dollars by not having cable as a student and resident. This only works if you can live without ESPN and HBO (all HBO shows come out on DVD soon after the season ends anyways). One of my dental school roommates insisted she couldn't live without MTV. I did the same as darius and asked her to give it a few weeks and if she still needed MTV, then I would be ok splitting a cable plan that had it. She found herself so busy as a first year student with studying and labwork, we never got cable for the next 2 years. They'll be phasing out antennas soon (2009?) and I think the replacement thingy you have to buy to watch free channels is much more expensive, but the government will have some rebates program for it.

two words: meth lab.......it also helps on those late nights trying to stay up and study.....although when u show up to class the next day wacked out with 3rd degree burns on your face and arms and green and grey teeth people may start to wonder....thats why I got titanium veneers:cool:

:thumbup::thumbup:

I agree. And I wouldn't waste money on cable. It's just a time and money suck. If you really want to watch something you can watch it on your computer.

And if you need furniture, etc., see if any of the upperclassmen are getting rid of their stuff. It might be better to wait till they are moving out, because then they will just want to get rid of it. I got most of my furniture for free that way in the first week of school. Although it was fairly easy since I live in school housing. And then Craig's list is good too, depending on what area you are in. Plus dollar stores, goodwill (esp. for kitchenware, plates, etc), and Costco.

More ideas how to save money...

1. Drink tap water
2. Cancel your home phone
3. Shop at Frugal Fannies-designer fashion for a few bucks
4. Cancel your cable internet-use some else's strayed signal
5. IKEA 99 cents daily breakfast-egg, bacon, and hashbrown
6. McDonald's/BK/Wendy's Dollar menu
7. Ladies don't use makeup-save time, money, and probably health
8. Only buy grocery items that are B1G1 free
9. Don't ever pay for software
10. Hang dry your clothes
11. Split apart your doublelayer toilet paper-becomes two rolls
12. Read "The Millionaire Next Door"

You go thought THAT much toilet paper that you need to split apart every sheet? I would just grab a few extra copies of the school news paper before i did that.

A tried and true method for every cheapo who has a hard time giving up those nights out on the town! Too bad they don't make Guinness concentrate...

1. Drink tap water
2. Cancel your home phone
3. Shop at Frugal Fannies-designer fashion for a few bucks
4. Cancel your cable internet-use some else's strayed signal
5. IKEA 99 cents daily breakfast-egg, bacon, and hashbrown
6. McDonald's/BK/Wendy's Dollar menu
7. Ladies don't use makeup-save time, money, and probably health
8. Only buy grocery items that are B1G1 free
9. Don't ever pay for software
10. Hang dry your clothes
12. Read "The Millionaire Next Door"

9 - Learn to use Bittorrent.
12- :thumbup:

haha Ironically enough he's my classmate next year, but he seems like a good guy, I think the post didn't come across like he wanted it to, and everyone piled on, I'm sure he's a normal guy

yeah, i know what u mean, the internet is funny weird like that.........i think thats why they say something like 50-90% of communication is via facial expressions.....smiley faces don't do that kind of thing too much justice......what school are u 2 going to be attending again?:cool::D:);):rolleyes::confused::love:: rock out with ur dirty sock out

I will be starting school in the fall, and I am not very familiar with the student loan process. I have filled out my FAFSA and have learned that there is a certain dollar amount that I will likely be loaned in order to pay for school and living expenses. I was wondering if there is any way to get additional money. I am interested in buying a house, but there is no way I can do that if I don't secure some additional funds. Is there a way to secure funding beyond what FAFSA provides, and if so, how?

Thanks!

Two words: Ketchup soup.

on the other hand...i guess it would taste somewhat decent if you eat it with grilled cheese sandwiches and goldfish crackers...

Ketchup soup is not the same as tomato soup. And I was joking.

I have found that getting a membership at Sam's Club or Costco has really helped save some major $$. Granted, you have to first shell out a little more but it pays off in the end. For example, I bought a HUGE bundle of TP in August, and haven't run out yet. Same thing with paper towels, ketchup, dog food, etc. Well, I have run out of dog food, but the bag lasts a really long time and the unit price is much lower than at a regular grocery store.

Take all the credit cards out of your wife's wallet!

I know many of my classmates strive to save as much money as possible to minimize their loans and repayment once we get out. However, I believe that we bust our butts so hard in dental school that we should live comfortably on our loans, because although we will have some amazingly huge debts sacrificing comfort for a few thousand dollars is not worth it. Most of us know that once we graduate we will be making a great living and we will still be paying a boat load in debts.

so enjoy what your loans offer you because you work your butt off in dental school and you will have ample money once you graduate

I have found that getting a membership at Sam's Club or Costco has really helped save some major $$. Granted, you have to first shell out a little more but it pays off in the end. For example, I bought a HUGE bundle of TP in August, and haven't run out yet. Same thing with paper towels, ketchup, dog food, etc. Well, I have run out of dog food, but the bag lasts a really long time and the unit price is much lower than at a regular grocery store.

I love dogs but if you're trying to save money...no pets!

The human body is like the car (no gas -no power) , so no good food- no power to work. The dental school = hard, very hard work.
:) Guys......for few $ ...

the best advice i got is "live within your means."
you don't need to go out and eat fancy food everyday, but once in a while it would be nice. as long as you're not strapped on cash you should be fine. you shouldn't be eating crackers and water everyday too.

Eat bread dipped in vinegar&olive oil for meals.

Its really not as bad as it sounds.