Best way to commute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheesyfries

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I will be living about 3 miles from school and I wanted to here your thoughts on commuting. I've been thinking about buying an electric skateboard to save money on gas and parking. What do y'all think and what's your method of commuting?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDN,

I will be living about 3 miles from school and I wanted to here your thoughts on commuting. I've been thinking about buying an electric skateboard to save money on gas and parking. What do y'all think and what's your method of commuting?
Are you already competent at longboarding? If so then I say go for it. Sounds fun (unless it rains). I'm planning on longboarding from my house every day, but I'll only be about 1/2 mile from the building.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey SDN,

Which school you got accepted to?

Biking and electric skateboarding seem like viable options. Just be weary of bike thiefs... If it's raining then you could possibly take the bus if it would be impossible to bike or skateboard

-Fyz

Reactions: 1 user
Hey SDN,

How is the weather there? Does it snow in the winter? Windy?

Reactions: 1 user
Walk. Just kidding.

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned carpooling.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you already competent at longboarding? If so then I say go for it. Sounds fun (unless it rains). I'm planning on longboarding from my house every day, but I'll only be about 1/2 mile from the building.
Well... I had a skateboard in middle school, does that count? Jk, I'm sure I'd get the hang of it after taking it slow haha.

Which school you got accepted to?
UTHSCSA!

How long is the battery life on the skateboard?
The one I want has a range of "up to 21 miles" with a 187lb rider and can go up to 22 mph.

How is the weather there? Does it snow in the winter? Windy?
It's San Antonio, TX so no snow and no wind for the most part (as far as I know)!

Walk. Just kidding.
I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned carpooling.
Haha nothing like an hour walk to start your day and an hour walk back home! Car pooling is good idea, maybe I'll do that when it rains!

And Biking sounds fine but then I'd have to worry about bad drivers, locks, air pumps, etc... And it's not as radical dude!

Well... I had a skateboard in middle school, does that count? Jk, I'm sure I'd get the hang of it after taking it slow haha.

UTHSCSA!

The one I want has a range of "up to 21 miles" with a 187lb rider and can go up to 22 mph.

It's San Antonio, TX so no snow and no wind for the most part (as far as I know)!

Haha nothing like an hour walk to start your day and an hour walk back home! Car pooling is good idea, maybe I'll do that when it rains!

And Biking sounds fine but then I'd have to worry about bad drivers, locks, air pumps, etc... And it's not as radical dude!

The UTHSCSA campus is kind of in a weird position if my memory serves correctly, I think it would be a pretty rough ride if you were long boarding from 3 miles out. It honestly seemed like the type of campus you drive to IMO. Otherwise i would look into a bike (or moped lol).

When it is summer/spring it is very beautiful in my opinion though, loooooottss of green. Also how is the bad driver situation better any different on a longboard or bike?

When it is summer/spring it is very beautiful in my opinion though, loooooottss of green. Also how is the bad driver situation better any different on a longboard or bike?
I was thinking of just riding on the side walk, 3 miles of sidewalks won't be too bad and the board I want has all-terrain tires if I have to ride on the grass to pass people.

I got my boosted board recently in NYC, after months of waiting. I have never skateboarded before, but I quickly picked it up in 30 minutes in third mode. I'm almost comfortable with fourth mode going 22 mph.

CONS:

1. Despite it being waterproof, you should avoid water puddles and only ride during very light rain.
2. About 20% of boosted boards have RLOD (red light of death) and it's caused by many things and you have to ship it back to Mountain View, California which can take 1-2 months.
3. The boosted board can only go 4-5 miles average with the normal battery pack. The extended battery pack doesn't come until the end of 2017 or the beginning of 2018.
4. I bought a Dakine Mission backpack that is designed to carry any board (i.e. long boards, snow boards and etc). The boosted board is about 15-17 pounds and will damage the backpack straps that holds the board in place. Do you know how it feels to carry 20-25 pounds around every day? Like a freshman carrying all the textbooks.
5. You replace the belts to the motor very frequently if you brake the boosted board INSTEAD of cruising (you shouldn't be accelerating more than 40% of the ride).
6. You will feel every bump and crack during your ride, so stick to good pavement which means car roads most of the time. Most car drivers have not seen electric skateboards before, and I've had a few close encounters on the road. WEAR A HELMET EVERY TIME!
7. You think you will save a lot using an electric skateboard compared to driving a car. That is TRUE, but a bike will save you so much more especially when a boosted board costs nearly 1,700 dollars before board repairs in the future.

Biking and Skateboarding is statistically dangerous. Pros are saving money and exercise but cons are impossible when raining and you will end up sweaty. My school is around 3 miles away as well, I tried biking but I always ended up sweaty/ it would be raining when I would try and bike back which is easy if you are prepared all the time. I currently drive to a parking garage, then skate from the garage to the school. Trust me when I say you should not longboard even when it's a little wet as polyurethane will hydroplane on a carve sending you flying. In addition, if you do get a longboard get big wheels with a soft duromater to handle those cracks. A con of longboarding is you forget you are carrying a backpack and it really really throws off your balance.

I know it sounds girly but if you do that stuff you should wear a helmet every time. I like to do my hair before school (sue me) and look presentable. Couldn't do that with a helmet. If I would recommend anything it would be a good bike and carry a rain jacket/plan.

UTHSCSA!

No snow, but it can get VERY windy there. And the drivers are incredibly aggressive there. I would not recommend this. All it takes is 1 fall, if you hurt your hand you're screwed.