Best Veterinary book for (Human) Physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Staphylococcus Aureus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a personal interest in zoology, evolution, and practical uses of veterinary medicine (particularly what would be helpful for a rural physician to know about animals, or an outdoor enthusiast to know). Any good book/text recommendations??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the Dog/Cat/Horse Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook does a good job of explaining things while making it clear when you do need to see a veterinarian. A quick Google search should find any of these for you. Beyond that, it gets sort of specific for what kind of information you are wanting...

Reactions: 1 user
@twelvetigers scientific veterinary information (yet practical and concise that an MD/DO would be able to read it and get something from it)
What can you recommend for a veterinarian to read in order to be able to get practical information and be able to treat people who get sick while in a rural location?

Reactions: 5 users
I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he wasn't gonna try to treat any animals that should see a veterinarian instead. I hope that's the case.

Yes I have no intent of treating animals, just a prersonal interest as an outdoors enthusiast and a pet owner (for example, I try to learn which mammals are endemic to the area I'm hiking, what organisms are poisonous and how their bite will present, effects of selective breeding, does this human disease have an analogous form in animals, etc).

Last edited:
Yes I have no intent of treating animals, just a prersonal interest as an outdoors enthusiast and a pet owner (for example, I try to learn which mammals are endemic to the area I'm hiking, what organisms are poisonous and how their bite will present, effects of selective breeding, does this human disease have an analogous form in animals, etc).
I mean, Google works pretty well for a lot of that...