Best Study Material 2017 mcat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I was wondering what everyone considered the best study material for the new mcat. I already have EK but I have not done well on the mcat so far. Suggestions please!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I used the Kaplan book set and Khan Academy. Took all the practice tests from Kaplan, took the only official practice test from the AAMC (for the 2015 test).

*not sure if it has helped my get accepted yet, but I do have 2 interview invites thus far. So I would suggest the above. I have the old EK books, never used them... to many pictures and goofy drawing. I wanted info and kaplan had that.

I used the Kaplan book set and Khan Academy. Took all the practice tests from Kaplan, took the only official practice test from the AAMC (for the 2015 test).

*not sure if it has helped my get accepted yet, but I do have 2 interview invites thus far. So I would suggest the above. I have the old EK books, never used them... to many pictures and goofy drawing. I wanted info and kaplan had that.

Hi. I plan to take MCAT this Jan. N I'm using the same materials: Kaplan and Khan. When you mean Kaplan practice tests, you mean the end-of chapters questions? Can you elaborate how you use those two materials? I've been watching every single video on organ sys sections on Khan and took note. It took so much of my time. So I dont think it's a good idea for me to continue doing that for biochem, physics, and psy. What you think? Any advice? Thanks. It's jux two months left until my exam. N I'm still not ready yet. Starting to get panicked and stressed. Congrats on your II btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I plan to take MCAT this Jan. N I'm using the same materials: Kaplan and Khan. When you mean Kaplan practice tests, you mean the end-of chapters questions? Can you elaborate how you use those two materials? I've been watching every single video on organ sys sections on Khan and took note. It took so much of my time. So I dont think it's a good idea for me to continue doing that for biochem, physics, and psy. What you think? Any advice? Thanks. It's jux two months left until my exam. N I'm still not ready yet. Starting to get panicked and stressed. Congrats on your II btw.

Kaplan has/had for me 3 or 4 online practice tests. If you bought the book set you should have gotten an activation code or link to the online portal. They have several full length exams and several biochem/physcis/biology oriented shot tests. I also took the 2015 AAMC practice test - they only had one when I took it, looks like they have two now. - https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/online-practice-mcat-exam/ (these, as always, cost money)

I read through the Kaplan books and did most of the end of chapter questions, I probably did not do all of them (~90%?). I did not even touch the critical analysis and reading skills book, but that was because I always scored high in that area on other tests (GRE, NCLEX) - this worked out for me but don't recommend it for everyone!

As far as Khan goes, I tried to watch all the videos for Biochem, Physics, Biology, and body systems. I really slacked on Pysch and Soc because it bored the hell out of me. But I still watched probably 1/3 of the videos. Yes it is time consuming, but I usually watched it at 1.25x the normal speed just to cut time.

I got a 501, not grand, but it works for me. I think if you continue with what you are doing you will be fine. ;)

Hey guys. I was wondering what everyone considered the best study material for the new mcat. I already have EK but I have not done well on the mcat so far. Suggestions please!!!!

Full-length practice exams. Take as many as you possibly can. The test is very lengthy, and even if you’re academically prepared, taking a seven-hour exam without having practiced sitting and focusing on answering exam questions for such a lengthy period of time prior to test day is a recipe for disaster.

I took the MCAT in June 2016 and scored a 511 (124/130/127/130). Leading up to the exam, my chief study resources were Kaplan’s MCAT® Complete 7-Book Subject Review (1e) and the YouTube channel Khan Academy Medicine, which has videos made in partnership with the AAMC on virtually all of the material covered in the AAMC’s Complete MCAT 2015 Exam Content Description.

I took seven full-length (FL) practice exams between December 2015 and May 2016:
  • 3 Kaplan FL (~$113; part of the purchase price of the above-mentioned book )
  • 1 The Princeton Review FL (FREE here)
  • 1 Next Step FL (FREE here)
  • 1 AMMC Official MCAT® Practice Exam (Scored) One ($35 here)
  • 1 AAMC Official MCAT® Sample Test* ($25 here)
My scores on these exams ranged from 499–509, with an average total score of 504.

I felt that The Princeton Review’s FL was by far the most difficult and detail-oriented, but my lowest score (499) was on the Kaplan FL I took. It is my general observation that practice exams (especially those from third parties) tend to deflate one's scores a bit below how one is actually likely capable of performing.

Below is a spreadsheet of the data from all seven of my practice FLs:

main-qimg-4bfccf130519d95e9da107f1cf85c81f

Very best of luck!

Reactions: 7 users
Let’s crack it.

As MCAT is a very difficult exam and plays a huge role in your medical career future. So let’s take precautions not chances. For the preparation of MCAT exams, there are various types of books available in the market. So it is very difficult to choose the best one which will help to crack the exam.

Because of this reason I have created a list of BEST MCAT Prep BOOKS. All the required information is given below which will guide you to choose a correct book for your MCAT Prep.

check out reviews of all the books and choose the best MCAT prep book for yourself --> BEST MCAT Prep BOOKS # 2017:Easy comparison & Quick Review