Best State to establish Residency for Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NTF

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Idea for this thread came from a response to someone else's thread. Especially for nontrads trying to give themselves the best chances, what state is the best to get residency in?

I haven't investigated all the states but I'm an Ohio resident. I have to say I think Ohio is a pretty sweet state to apply to medical school in. We have 7 medical schools, 6 allopathic and 1 DO.

1. Wright State - heavily favors instate applicants (instate tuition)
2. NEOCOM - heavily favors instate applicants (instate tuition)
3. U of Toledo - somewhat favors instate applicants (instate tuition)
4. Ohio State - ranked #30, does not favor instate (instate tuition)
5. U of Cincinnati - ranked #40, does not favor instate (instate tuition)
6. Case Western - ranked #25, does not favor instate (same tuition instate or OOS)
7. Ohio University (DO) - somewhat favors instate (instate tuition)

while Case, Cincy, OSU don't favor instate applicants, if you get a job at one of these places you can get a little homefield advantage. For example:

1. If you do post-bac or graduate work there they will respect your coursework.
2. You'll be able to cull LORs from people who are actually faculty at those schools
3. You'll be able get to know people in the Admissions office on a personal level.

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen this idea before, & think that the factors that would probably be considered for "best state to be from" would be:

# of student seats reserved/primarily for instate, like you'd mentioned Wright State (took classes there years ago), I have a better chance of interview @ Harvard than I do as an OOS applicant at Wright State, per MSAR.

Level of academic competition at the school - Colorado's got an instate school with average MCAT 33 GPA mid-3.7s, versus U of IL's average several points lower MCAT, GPA 3.6 or so, both matriculate instate applicants around 70%

Success rate of instate applicants - total instate matriculants (at instate schools) versus total instate applicants.

Possibly, total applicants from a state versus total matriculants from a state, AAMC publishes this, it would include students from a state accepted at ANY college.

I'd still put IL as among the best states to be from, given even at the private schools, (chicago/northwestern/rush/rosalind franklin)the instate applicant/matriculant ratio is far more favorable than the out of state applicant/matriculant ratio, U of I I believe has the largest med school class of any school @ 300 or so w/70% instate, and SIU only accepts instate applicants.

No I would not consider moving to OK despite a previous post about OK being among the best states to be from given future school openings there.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would seriously move somewhere just to apply to med school?

You would seriously move somewhere just to apply to med school?

Absolutely - if I could do it again, I would have moved to TX or FL. The tuition savings alone justify this (at least $100k savings in-state at a public school vs. private or OOS). Lower admissions stats would have been useful as well. But I'm single and free to do what I want, unlike a lot of nontrads.

Texas has to be included in the list.

8 in-state schools + Baylor.

Tuition 10k / year

And, the Texas dept of education gives us like 1500 / year as part of an education grant, so tuition really is like 9k.

Can't beat that tuition. WOW! Med school for 36K total! That sure beats tuition costs in Ohio. I think instate here is like 22-26K/year.

How about Michigan?
Currently has
-U of Michigan
-Wayne State
-Michigan State CHM (MD)
-Michigan State COM (DO)

Will soon have:
-Oakland University SOM
-Central Michigan University SOM

If I wasn't here, I would be in Ohio (home of my first choice: CCLCM) or Texas.

Not an expert on this, but before you pack your bags, you'll want to check with the schools themselves to see how they (the public ones, anyway) do their gerrymandering for in-state/OOS qualifications. Having a residential address there doesn't necessarily make you eligible. You'll have to have lived there for a certain minimum period of time, or have family ties, or...I don't know what else. Google "[state] residency requirements" or check the financial aid page of a school from the state you're interested in.

In short, they're onto this sort of devious plan... :(

Not an expert on this, but before you pack your bags, you'll want to check with the schools themselves to see how they (the public ones, anyway) do their gerrymandering for in-state/OOS qualifications. Having a residential address there doesn't necessarily make you eligible. You'll have to have lived there for a certain minimum period of time, or have family ties, or...I don't know what else. Google "[state] residency requirements" or check the financial aid page of a school from the state you're interested in.

In short, they're onto this sort of devious plan... :(

Yeah looked that up to. LOL, trust no self-respecting non-trad wouldn't research that.

Ohio's residency standards are living in ohio for 13 consecutive months, not getting the majority of your living expenses from someone OOS, and filing Ohio taxes at least once. Also you can't get residency status if at any point during your 13 months you were a full-time student (unless of course you already had it before then).

But I do think it is a reasonable path for a non-trad to try to get a hospital research or patient care job at a major university in a friendly state to establish residency. It offers alot of benefits like: tuition benefits for extra coursework, the chance to get LORs from faculty at your school, and to build relationships with the adcom people.

I gotta put in a plug for FL. We now have six allo schools, all of which heavily favor in-state applicants (even U Miami, which is private). We also have two DO schools. Unlike OH or IL, we have no state or local income taxes, and best of all, you can go study anatomy at the beach in February. :D

Reactions: 1 users
I gotta put in a plug for FL. We now have six allo schools, all of which heavily favor in-state applicants (even U Miami, which is private). We also have two DO schools. Unlike OH or IL, we have no state or local income taxes, and best of all, you can go study anatomy at the beach in February. :D
I'll admit you kind of have a point there. Although we don't have hurricanes in Ohio. lol.

Texas has to be included in the list.

8 in-state schools + Baylor.

Tuition 10k / year

And, the Texas dept of education gives us like 1500 / year as part of an education grant, so tuition really is like 9k.
I think you forgot to add in the fees, because tuition + required fees were $12,609 for 2007-2008, but I'm still not complaining :)

However, while there are plenty of schools and tuition is low, there is quite a bit of competition for those spots.

I've got some questions on this topic as well.
I'm a Georgia resident, currently living in Montana while serving in the AF. I'll be getting out and attending a private school to finish my undergrad before applying to medical school.
Should I keep my GA residency, since Montana has no medical schools and GA has several? Since I'm going to a private school, my tuition isn't affected by my state of residence.
Is it even going to be possible to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got some questions on this topic as well.
I'm a Georgia resident, currently living in Montana while serving in the AF. I'll be getting out and attending a private school to finish my undergrad before applying to medical school.
Should I keep my GA residency, since Montana has no medical schools and GA has several? Since I'm going to a private school, my tuition isn't affected by my state of residence.
Is it even going to be possible to do?

Usually if a state has no medical school the state works out some deal where a school in a nearby 2nd state will treat the first state's residents as instate. (if I'm making sense). So find out which school treats Montana residents as instate and look at the numbers. Compare them to Georgia schools numbers.

I know that Mercer and Georgia College of Medicine favor instate applicants heavily and have generally low average GPA/MCAT. Then there's Emory which treats everybody the same. Also there's P-COM - Atlanta, a DO school.

Usually if a state has no medical school the state works out some deal where a school in a nearby 2nd state will treat the first state's residents as instate. (if I'm making sense). So find out which school treats Montana residents as instate and look at the numbers. Compare them to Georgia schools numbers.

I know that Mercer and Georgia College of Medicine favor instate applicants heavily and have generally low average GPA/MCAT. Then there's Emory which treats everybody the same. Also there's P-COM - Atlanta, a DO school.

I know that University of Washington gives Montana residents preference for medical school. They do this as well for folks from Alaska, Idaho, and Wyoming as well I believe, in addition to Washington State of course. The down side is that it is the ONLY medical school in Washington and very competitive. I'm still a Florida resident but am in Washington for a long job assignment and taking my last pre req (Ochem). As much as I love it up here in Seattle and as much as I hate the idea of going back to Florida, its pretty tough to beat having all of those in state schools down there. Even Miami, which is my hometown (go CANES :thumbup:), gives Florida residents preference, since they get some $$ from the state, and its a private school.

If you're starting a list of the WORST states to be from, NY (my state) definitely belongs on it. We have 4 state med schools, and the odds of admission for in-staters are minuscule: around 5%. (Meanwhile, for OOS applicants it's 1-2%. Boy, do we get a leg up!)

I've actually looked into this myself very seriously as I am a non-trad who has just returned to school. I live in Ohio as well which does has a fair amount of schools but really isn't that cheap. As you mentioned, many like OSU have a good amount of OOS students.

Short answer - TEXAS is the best state to be a resident in. Great schools, there are many (I think around 11 if you include the 1 osteopathic) and the average tuition is around $11,000 per year.

HOWEVER! Think long and hard about this. I've found Adcoms want long-term residents and don't think you'll just move and get residency. Texas requires many things; among them you cannot take any classes for one full year before attending school and requesting residency. In other words, you cannot begin to take classes and then request residency afterward - you must take one full year off first. I suppose the purpose is to prove that you didn't just move there to save money on tuition.

Calculate how much a year off is worth to you. It could be a HUGE momentum killer. For us non-trads staying on track, gaining and keeping momentum is critical. It's harder after we've been out for so long as we have other commitments as well.

I think the differential works out to be +/- $60,000 overall (without interest on loans) you'd save by moving to Texas and doing med school there compared to say Ohio (at +/- $25,000/yr) May seem like alot but I think that the time factor is much more important IMO.

Where are you at in the process - undergrad?

I am looking at University of New Mexico - anyone heard anything about that? Most of my family is there, so that is a big thing. And that is where I want to live after and provide care, so it seems to make sense.

advice needed.

my gpa stands at 3.5 cumulative and 3.35 science...what state should I move to cuzz, I certainly won't be getting into Iowa (my current state) with those stats.

Taking the mcat again in January, hoping for a 30, aiming for a 33.

advice needed.

my gpa stands at 3.5 cumulative and 3.35 science...what state should I move to cuzz, I certainly won't be getting into Iowa (my current state) with those stats.

Taking the mcat again in January, hoping for a 30, aiming for a 33.

Moving isn't going to make it any easier. Apply to your iowa school, apply private allopathic schools, osteopathic schools, and smoke the mcat.

I live in Ohio, just 20 minutes from Wright State, and am finishing up my BIO degree. I just completed by secondary from WSU SOM and most of the questions focused on establishing my state of residency. For example, it asks where you were born, permanent address, where your parents live if they claim you on their taxes, etc. Keep in mind, several of the state schools in Ohio that give preference to in-state residents have primary care/internal medicine/pediatrics in underserved communities as their mission statement. They are giving preference to students they think will stay in Ohio and not leave or who will enter primary care. If this fits with your plans, Ohio would probably be a good choice, especially since some of the schools really focus on the entire applicant and not just the numbers. They also have early-decision programs and will give greater consideration to these applicants.

HOWEVER!! If you apply to other medical schools out of state after you establish residency in Ohio, you will be at a disadvantage. Because Ohio has so many medical schools, other schools look less favorably on candidates from Ohio. My pre-med advisor said it is almost impossible for the average candidate to get into out of state schools when you are from Ohio.

Idea for this thread came from a response to someone else's thread. Especially for nontrads trying to give themselves the best chances, what state is the best to get residency in?

I haven't investigated all the states but I'm an Ohio resident. I have to say I think Ohio is a pretty sweet state to apply to medical school in. We have 7 medical schools, 6 allopathic and 1 DO.

1. Wright State - heavily favors instate applicants (instate tuition)
2. NEOCOM - heavily favors instate applicants (instate tuition)
3. U of Toledo - somewhat favors instate applicants (instate tuition)
4. Ohio State - ranked #30, does not favor instate (instate tuition)
5. U of Cincinnati - ranked #40, does not favor instate (instate tuition)
6. Case Western - ranked #25, does not favor instate (same tuition instate or OOS)
7. Ohio University (DO) - somewhat favors instate (instate tuition)

while Case, Cincy, OSU don't favor instate applicants, if you get a job at one of these places you can get a little homefield advantage. For example:

1. If you do post-bac or graduate work there they will respect your coursework.
2. You'll be able to cull LORs from people who are actually faculty at those schools
3. You'll be able get to know people in the Admissions office on a personal level.

Curious.. I thought OSU and Cinci did slightly favor instate applicants?

My pre-med advisor said it is almost impossible for the average candidate to get into out of state schools when you are from Ohio.

Yet another example of an idiot premed advisor (in my opinion). How to get into medical school is easy .... MCAT + GPA + not being a ***** on interview day = admission.

You have the scores for out of state, you'll get in. Period.

I absolutely hate these premed people, the only good one I have known about is from Austin College. Gets like 95 or 100% of his students into schools.

Same kind of people that say "its better to take orgo during the summer because it will look better" ... yeah right.

If you're starting a list of the WORST states to be from, NY (my state) definitely belongs on it. We have 4 state med schools, and the odds of admission for in-staters are minuscule: around 5%. (Meanwhile, for OOS applicants it's 1-2%. Boy, do we get a leg up!)

Not really understanding this. If in-staters have 5% chance of admissions and OOS has 1-2%, where are the other 93% coming from?

Not really understanding this. If in-staters have 5% chance of admissions and OOS has 1-2%, where are the other 93% coming from?

Read it again.

He's not saying 5% of the incoming class is IS, he is saying 5% of those that apply as IS, get in.

I am looking at University of New Mexico - anyone heard anything about that? Most of my family is there, so that is a big thing. And that is where I want to live after and provide care, so it seems to make sense.

You have to prove long-time ties to the state. Having family here helps, but you'd still need to be a resident. The longer you've lived here, the better. I don't know all it takes to become a resident and eligible to apply, so you should look into it. I've been a resident of NM all of my life, so I have no worries there. To be honest, though, if you're OOS it's probably not your best bet since it's our only med school.

You have to prove long-time ties to the state. Having family here helps, but you'd still need to be a resident. The longer you've lived here, the better. I don't know all it takes to become a resident and eligible to apply, so you should look into it. I've been a resident of NM all of my life, so I have no worries there. To be honest, though, if you're OOS it's probably not your best bet since it's our only med school.

I am from there originally - Portales and graduated high school from Roswell, and have lived most of the time as an adult there except for being stationed outside of the state while I was in the army. I am just in LA currently for my wife's work. All of my family is there and we are moving back before too long.

Heh, also, my letters of recommendation will be from NM doctors, so I am kind of hoping that will help.

But yeah, I am a little concerned about it.

Read it again.

He's not saying 5% of the incoming class is IS, he is saying 5% of those that apply as IS, get in.

Actually, it's "she," but you'd have no way of knowing that.:)

Lohktar's interpretation of my post is correct. If you want a concrete example to illustrate what's going on, take the stats for SUNY Upstate. Last year they got 4481 apps: 41% from in-state, 49% out-of-state, and 10% international. The school has 160 seats, so 3.5% of applicants were admitted overall: 100 IS (5% of IS apps), 43 OOS (2%), and 17 international (4%).

Upstate seems to admit a few more OOS students than the other 3, but on average we have about 20% OOS students in the SUNY med schools. That's much higher than most other states--many of which, by law, don't admit ANY OOS students. Even CA, another large state with highly competitive state med schools, has less than 10% OOS students. I don't understand why my state (where I pay sky-high taxes to pay for the SUNY system) can't be a little nicer to its own residents.

I am from there originally - Portales and graduated high school from Roswell, and have lived most of the time as an adult there except for being stationed outside of the state while I was in the army. I am just in LA currently for my wife's work. All of my family is there and we are moving back before too long.

Heh, also, my letters of recommendation will be from NM doctors, so I am kind of hoping that will help.

But yeah, I am a little concerned about it.

In that case, I think you'd actually be a good candidate. You know the state and have close ties, which means you can demonstrate your desire to stick around and practice in the state. I think that's all they really want anyway, someone who doesn't intend to flee after graduation (or rather, returns after residency). Good luck!

someone told me that DC residents count as state residents of EVERY state (since DC has no state schools) -- is this true? it seems to be the opposite of what someone said earlier on this thread. also, i'm pretty sure GW gives preference to DC residents.

someone told me that DC residents count as state residents of EVERY state (since DC has no state schools) -- is this true? it seems to be the opposite of what someone said earlier on this thread. also, i'm pretty sure GW gives preference to DC residents.

Definitely not true that DC residents are instate everywhere. At least not with respect to med school admissions.

There are some almost-helpful tables at http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/ with per-state numbers. (Only Puerto Rico has lower avg applicant GPAs than DC, btw.)

Last edited:
In that case, I think you'd actually be a good candidate. You know the state and have close ties, which means you can demonstrate your desire to stick around and practice in the state. I think that's all they really want anyway, someone who doesn't intend to flee after graduation (or rather, returns after residency). Good luck!

I second that. Plus, I really love that school. Very family-friendly, and the school really wants you to succeed. My mentor (who's faculty) told me that ~30% of the student body are non-trads. Excellent primary and rural care program and plenty of opportunities to do research (which is a requirement of graduation). I heard from several students that you get exposure to patient care starting in the first year. Laid-back atmosphere, which could be a plus or a minus, depending on your temperament. The minimum stats for acceptance are GPA: 3.0, MCAT 24, although the class average is higher. Cheap tuition, and if you are the outdoorsy type, an excellent place to live. Also a good place to raise kids.

Drawbacks: small class size (good if you're a student, but not so good if you're an applicant), and they only accept a very few WICHE state students OOS. But last time I checked, they will allow you to change status from OOS to resident after a year, i think.

Agreed - as a DC Resident this is the absolute worst hands down place to be a resident of when applying to med school. It's quite unfair.

Thanks DrMidlife. I'm wondering if you or someone else on here could help me with a Q i've been really confused about for a while - i have no idea which state I'm a resident of :(

i just graduated from college in 2008 so I've never paid taxes by myself at all.

I started a full-time job (but it's a "fellowship") in august 2008 in MD (so i've only lived in MD for 7 months-ish) and will have to file taxes by myself in April 2009 for the first time...i *think* i have to pay federal AND md state taxes in april, not sure...

I registered to vote and voted in MD in 2008...but I don't want this ONE act to determine like...my whole life -- i don't even like Maryland.

I don't have a driver's license.

My mom lives in another state (where I want to go to med school) and pays state taxes there but files federal taxes with my dad, who lives in another state and he pays THAT state's taxes. both of them are no longer claiming me as a dependent b/c i'm out of college.

I'm planning to apply to med school for entry in 2010 (which means I should start applying to my "state schools" now...) or 2011.

i have no idea which state i'm a resident of and have tried to look this up online but all the complications make it hard to follow...i don't even know if there's a number somewhere i could call to get an expert to answer this q.

if only there was some way i could get residency in my dad's state, b/c he lives in Illinois and there are lots of med schools there (5?) -- wouldn't that help my chances of getting into med school period? although i've never set foot in illinois ever...

thanks for the help in advance!

Since you are no longer being claimed as a dependent you can't use your parents' states of residency. By the time you're ready for matriculation you'll have lived in Maryland for over 12 months, have filed taxes there and voted there. If you're a resident of any state, you're a resident of MD. But I'd check the local MD med schools residency standards to make sure. You don't want to fall through the cracks and find out you're not a resident of any state (for tuition and application purposes).

Agreed - as a DC Resident this is the absolute worst hands down place to be a resident of when applying to med school. It's quite unfair.

:laugh: does anyone know if is this still valid in 2013?
Looks like i'd be packing my bags soon :scared:

What if i maintain residence in NY (house and file taxes there) and then actually live in another state DC (work took me here 1.5 year ago). Where is best for me to apply from? NY or DC?

What does Virginia look like as a state to establish residency?

I would choose Texas! Just for the cheap tuition!

Not MA. You need five years (!) worth of tax returns, plus it's wicked hahd, as we say, to get in anyway.

Question for the Texans (or anyone who knows):

If I hypothetically moved out there next June and got a job, while applying for medical school, I assume I would not be considered a resident for admissions (not tuition) purposes?

Not MA. You need five years (!) worth of tax returns, plus it's wicked hahd, as we say, to get in anyway.

Nah, that's wicked wrahng. You may have to submit five years worth of records, particularly if there's a contestable situation, but MA is not different from other states in wanting 1-2 years of non-student domicile to get instate tuition.

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/cis/ciswel/weltomas.htm
To be eligible for the resident tuition rate, the applicant must be able to indicate residency (physical presence) and twelve months domicile in Massachusetts with intent to stay prior to the date of entry into the state college or university (six months for community colleges).
http://www.umass.edu/umfa/basics/residency/
In general, if you are a dependent student and at least one parent or legal guardian has resided in Massachusetts for one year immediately preceding your enrollment, then you may qualify for in-state tuition. If you are a financially independent student, then the policy requires that you have lived in Massachusetts as a "traditional resident" (not a student) for twelve continuous months immediately preceding your enrollment or reenrollment at UMass. "Second residences" may not be used to qualify for Massachusetts residency.

Nah, that's wicked wrahng. You may have to submit five years worth of records, particularly if there's a contestable situation, but MA is not different from other states in wanting 1-2 years of non-student domicile to get instate tuition.

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/cis/ciswel/weltomas.htm

http://www.umass.edu/umfa/basics/residency/

Ooo, smacked down. I swear that I was talking to someone who said we needed to be here for at least 5 years and who, by virtue of her only being here for 3 years, couldn't apply.

What does Virginia look like as a state to establish residency?

If I recall correctly, it's fairly standard: 1 year of residence (but not as a full time student) at the time of your submission should be sufficient. As to how good a state it is to be applying from, I'd call it good but not great. You have 3 state schools that represent a wide range of competitiveness plus another private allopathic and a D.O. school. A downside is that VA schools don't favor in state applicants like TX for example.

If I recall correctly, it's fairly standard: 1 year of residence (but not as a full time student) at the time of your submission should be sufficient. As to how good a state it is to be applying from, I'd call it good but not great. You have 3 state schools that represent a wide range of competitiveness plus another private allopathic and a D.O. school. A downside is that VA schools don't favor in state applicants like TX for example.
I see..
Thank you for this detailed info

Question for the Texans (or anyone who knows):

If I hypothetically moved out there next June and got a job, while applying for medical school, I assume I would not be considered a resident for admissions (not tuition) purposes?

You have to work for at least one year or buy property to be considered a resident. Texas is very strict about residency qualification when it comes to medical school.applications.