Best residency option for PhD graduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abualjood

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a PhD student at mid-tier US school and a medical graduate from foreign medical school. I have co-authored 4 papers, on my way to publish as a first author, all peered review journals. Hopefully, my paper will be accepted in a a journal with impact factor 15-20. My mentor is very well known and he's willing to give me a solid LOR. My major is Immunology, minor is Bioinformatics (our school has this major/minor program style just like undergraduate). And finally, I'm US citizen.

My primary plan was to work in science/academia. But throughout the years, I have witnessed and experienced how the funding situation could make your life difficult. There is no job security in Science at all, and the money is just miserable.

Being enthusiastic about science, I was thinking of alternative paths to work in science in more secured conditions and thought of working my way out to be a physician scientist. I will be 36 upon graduation and I don't want to spend so much time in clinical medicine before going back to science. What't the best option for me? Is there an accelerated residency research pathway? Would Pathology vs IM/hem-onc be a more suitable option ( Leukemia is my main area of interest).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a PhD student at mid-tier US school and a medical graduate from foreign medical school. I have co-authored 4 papers, on my way to publish as a first author, all peered review journals. Hopefully, my paper will be accepted in a a journal with impact factor 15-20. My mentor is very well known and he's willing to give me a solid LOR. My major is Immunology, minor is Bioinformatics (our school has this major/minor program style just like undergraduate). And finally, I'm US citizen.

My primary plan was to work in science/academia. But throughout the years, I have witnessed and experienced how the funding situation could make your life difficult. There is no job security in Science at all, and the money is just miserable.

Being enthusiastic about science, I was thinking of alternative paths to work in science in more secured conditions and thought of working my way out to be a physician scientist. I will be 36 upon graduation and I don't want to spend so much time in clinical medicine before going back to science. What't the best option for me? Is there an accelerated residency research pathway? Would Pathology vs IM/hem-onc be a more suitable option ( Leukemia is my main area of interest).

I agree with Jupiter; hemeonc.