Best prelim surgery programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GuP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this may be an oxymoron but I just wanted an honest opinion about where some of the best prelim surg programs in the country, esp. in the NY/NJ area, are.

Members don't see this ad.

In New York Einstein and St. Lukes are good choices.

i think you have to ask, what are you looking for out of a prelim. do you want to find some researchers and possibly do something with them to be more competitive, work under a big wig so they can get you into a categorical spot because they have a history of doing so, or do you want to be in the OR all day as a designated prelim. or go to a program who that traditionally takes one or some of their prelims on as categoricals the following year.

i think there are programs that are the best , but in their respective categories

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
i think you have to ask, what are you looking for out of a prelim. do you want to find some researchers and possibly do something with them to be more competitive, work under a big wig so they can get you into a categorical spot because they have a history of doing so, or do you want to be in the OR all day as a designated prelim. or go to a program who that traditionally takes one or some of their prelims on as categoricals the following year.

i think there are programs that are the best , but in their respective categories

good luck

Yes true. My question was way too vague. I am more interested in places where you will learn/operate a lot, and do less scut. Not afraid to work hard or a lot but just rather not do moneky-work.

carolina's medical center is the only one i've heard about.

There are two ways to find out:

1) Ask each program about its placement percentage for their prelim-surg intern after PGY1. I heard that only 50% of surg-prelim interns are able to secure a position after their PGY1 year. So, if a program can find a position for 75% of their prelims, it is a good program. I mean, isn't that the only reason people choose prelim-surg? You do not want to do a year of surgery, then could not find anything afterwards.

2). If it is difficlut to do #1, just look for the which programs fill through match each year. Rarely do surg-prelims fill. If some program do frequently, there must be a good reason.

There are two ways to find out:

1) Ask each program about its placement percentage for their prelim-surg intern after PGY1. I heard that only 50% of surg-prelim interns are able to secure a position after their PGY1 year. So, if a program can find a position for 75% of their prelims, it is a good program. I mean, isn't that the only reason people choose prelim-surg? You do not want to do a year of surgery, then could not find anything afterwards.

2). If it is difficlut to do #1, just look for the which programs fill through match each year. Rarely do surg-prelims fill. If some program do frequently, there must be a good reason.

I guess you make a decent point but I do not want to go into categorical gen surg. I don't think there is a correlation between a prelim prog. being good and placement into cat. spots - it may just be that at the program a cat. spot opened up or they may just have big-wigs w/ connections - not necessarily a good, hand-on prelim prog. As for filling in the match - I do not know how I woud go about doing this and again there might be some regional bias.

speaking as a medical student Iv

sounds to me like you want to just operate for a year and thats it. well, i would definitely find a smaller gen surg program with high volumes, i.e carolina med center .logic being the smaller the program with larger volumes, the more likely you are to operate with the attending. i did an away at a community hosp in atlanta, the intern (prelim) was doing a cabg with the attending. now i dont know if that is a regular thing.

maybe posting a thread asking who operates as an intern will be the best way to find a place.

to find out how much surgical volume a place does, u can look on freida and search the hospitals associated with programs. i think how quickly programs fill has too many variables.

in north jersey, morristown memorial and st barnabus (sp?) are 2 cushy, busy community programs where you'll do less scut and get treated better. those residents are really happy

Yeah I had a friend fro Morristown...they operate a lot, have night float systems and get paid well:)

in north jersey, morristown memorial and st barnabus (sp?) are 2 cushy, busy community programs where you'll do less scut and get treated better. those residents are really happy

I think we need to to clarify some terms here. What is cushy and can a program be both Cushy and Busy. If you're up all night operating and pushing over the 80 hour week but they cut out the BS, you don't have to wheel your own patients to CT, labs get drawn when you order them and the nurses dont give you ****...I don't consider that Cushy, its just bad-ass. If you're sleeping 4 hours on call then THATs cushy.

Bump. any other suggestions for surgery prelims where you get to operate and are treated like a decent human being? not necessarily in NY/jersey

my own personal bias will show here, but i'd vote for mayo clinic

Reactions: 1 users
I was going to respond that no one has ever referred to St. Barnabas as cush or residents treated well at, especially in 2007, but realized I'd be responding to a 10 year old post as such...