This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

germindian123

perioaroundtheworld
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. It's 2016. What are some of the best perio programs that come to mind? I've heard that the strength of the program is highly influenced by the leadership of the director. I've heard of some good ones but want to know if anyone has any comments on the current state of the quality of perio residencies? And by what you will learn -- more surgeries, more research-oriented, implants, progressive surgeries, perio-systemic health, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I would recommend trying to do externships in order to get insight about various programs :) It really depends on your career aspirations (academia, private practice etc)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I would recommend trying to do externships in order to get insight about various programs :) It really depends on your career aspirations (academia, private practice etc)

I agree. I've heard certain clinically strong programs and certain research strong programs. But, especially for perio, I think a good balance is good because perio is such a research-intensive field.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. I've heard certain clinically strong programs and certain research strong programs. But, especially for perio, I think a good balance is good because perio is such a research-intensive field.

what clinically strong programs have you heard of? i am also curious to know!

A good perio program should have a close working relationship with the prosth program. These 2 programs should have joint lectures, case presentations, and tx planning sessions on a regular basis. Learning how to place implants is not hard. Knowing how to correctly tx the implant cases is the hard part. Being competent in implant tx planning is very important in helping you getting more referrals from the GPs.

A good perio program should teach the residents to perform complex autogenous grafting procedures such as connective tissue graft, ramus/chin graft.....and not using junk bone from a bottle. If it was your mouth, wouldn't you want your own bone (and not some cow bones) to support the implant? You become a better clinician when you learn how to do things the hard way.

I think USC and UConn perio have these qualities.

Reactions: 2 users
If those are your criteria, one should not overlook UTHSCSA.

Reactions: 1 user
Tuition free at VCU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am a resident at Texas A&M (formerly Baylor) perio residency. We have a new chairman and a new program director, which have been excellent changes. They have a very progressive modern viewpoint and are continually improving the program in order to have the best equipment/instruments and best clinical faculty at our disposal. We get a lot of clinical experience, we probably do more IV sedation than any program in the country, and we also have a nice research component since that is the focus of our chairman. I interviewed at all 3 Texas programs and there are pros and cons to each. San Antonio and Alabama are top notch programs as well, but I think the best fit for me was Baylor, or should I say A&M. Also, we pay approx 9k in tuition and then get a monthly stipend of $780 (~ 9k/year). These cancel out and so all you have to worry about is living expenses (moonlight or loans).