MA/MS Best MFT/MSW Programs in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MelodyAve

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm curious to hear the experiences of graduates on this forum. I am going back to school with the intent of pursuing a MSW or more likely, MFT in Southern California with the desire to eventually open a private practice, maybe pursue doctorate studies later. Here are some schools I have in mind, brought to me by word of mouth (I currently work in treatment), or by my research:

Pepperdine (MFT)
SDSU (MFT)
USD (MFT)
LMU (MFT)
USC (MSW)
UCLA (MSW)
Pacifica (MFT)

Do you have any other suggestions? Opinions on these? Important things to consider? How important is COAMFTE accreditation? I look forward to hearing your thoughts, as more seasoned people in this world than myself. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am an alumnus of Pepperdine's MFT program and I really enjoyed my experience there (I actually will continue my education there for my PSYD). Some things I really liked about was Pepperdine was: they had an evening track, so it is possible to work and go to school; there are multiple campuses (West LA, Encino, Irvine); there were also opportunities available for me to make connections and get research and clinical experiences to be able to apply to doctoral programs. Overall Pepperdine is a good school, and I do recommend it :)

The other schools you listed: SDSU USD USC UCLA. I don't know too many details about these schools' MFT programs; however, I'm sure their programs are good considering these schools are some of the top schools. I know LMU's MFT program specializes in Art Therapy and Pacifica specializes in Depth Psychology. I'm not sure if that is something you are interested in.

And from what I hear COAMFTE accreditation is not that important. Most of the big name schools do not have this.