Best Material to Build Foundation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingme23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you say is the best prep material for someone who has no foundation to prepare for step 1 (I am not a medical student)? I followed the customary "UFAP" for several months and felt like I learned a lot, but I was also very lost doing most of the qbank questions and was getting 40% or below. I tried to use it as a learning tool as everyone says, but couldn't help but feel like I was simply memorizing everything in UFAP. That showed when I took the most recent CBSE in July and scored in the 50s, I couldn't apply what I knew very well. Are there any good sources out there for building a good foundation for step 1-like questions?

Members don't see this ad.

What would you say is the best prep material for someone who has no foundation to prepare for step 1 (I am not a medical student)? I followed the customary "UFAP" for several months and felt like I learned a lot, but I was also very lost doing most of the qbank questions and was getting 40% or below. I tried to use it as a learning tool as everyone says, but couldn't help but feel like I was simply memorizing everything in UFAP. That showed when I took the most recent CBSE in July and scored in the 50s, I couldn't apply what I knew very well. Are there any good sources out there for building a good foundation for step 1-like questions?
I'm more interested in why a non-med student wants to study for Step 1?!

And can a non-med student even take Step 1?!

I'm more interested in why a non-med student wants to study for Step 1?!

And can a non-med student even take Step 1?!

"Want" is not how I would describe it. Taking the NBME CBSE is a requirement to apply to oral/maxillofacial surgery after dental school. I would love nothing more than to not have to study for step 1.....

I recommend Boards and Beyond, or Osmosis. You can try my videos, but they aren't complete yet. Otherwise, just google and Youtube the things in First Aid that you don't understand.

Reactions: 1 user
"Want" is not how I would describe it. Taking the NBME CBSE is a requirement to apply to oral/maxillofacial surgery after dental school. I would love nothing more than to not have to study for step 1.....
Ah, I see. Makes sense. I'd recommend Boards and Beyond. I only used part of it, but thought it was great. It's done by a cardiologist and has a lot of clinical application as well so hopefully it'll tie in concepts for you.

Reactions: 1 user