BEST IM RESIDENCY FOR MYELOMA HEME/ONC FELLOWSHIP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kzoo1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently M2 at a US MD school. I'm basically 100% sure that I want to work with Myeloma, maybe exclusively. I want to eventually train under the best MM docs, and I imagine rotations for IM are my first opportunity to make those connections. That said, I'd really appreciate some advice ad answers to my questions.

I'd really like to do research/training under one of the bigger names in MM. Who are they? Do you know any leaders in the field in hospitals where I could do an away IM rotation, and potentially do research with them during M4 and/or match so that I can work with them through residency?

I should say, I really don't know much about how the process works, I just found my passion and need some guidance. I welcome any advice you may have for me, even if it doesn't directly answer my questions.

Last thing, if any of them are in California, who/where are they? I have a mild preference but I'm open to any doors that could open.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm basically 100% sure that I want to work with Myeloma, maybe exclusively.

let me tell you something that you can take or leave. no matter what your background is, you can't say stuff like that as a MS2. until you've done some clinical rotations as a MS, and then actually took care of patients during your IM residency, and then experienced the full spectrum of hem/onc and treated real patients with MM, you cannot say that you're "100% sure" you want to do myeloma. Please don't go to IM interviews telling PDs you chose to interview at their program because they have big name MM docs. It might put you at a disadvantage.

But to answer your question so I'm not like a total jerk, institutions that are known for MM: Mayo (Rochester of course), DFCI, MDACC, Emory (maybe). I'm sure there're more. I'm not aware that any of the cali programs is a MM powerhouse.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree that I may be a little ahead of myself. That said, I have been involved in the care of family members with MM and also spent a year helping this population, which I found it to be very rewarding. I know it's only a small taste, but it's enough to make me want more experience to see if it's for me.

I have no idea what a reasonable next step is, and it doesn't have to be to find the best researcher or hospital, but if one of you experienced physicians may have a suggestion as to how I can best pursue my interest in m3, that would probably be the most useful advice at this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea what a reasonable next step is, and it doesn't have to be to find the best researcher or hospital, but if one of you experienced physicians may have a suggestion as to how I can best pursue my interest in m3, that would probably be the most useful advice at this time.

A reasonable next step would be to quit posting new threads in all-caps. It doesn't catch more attention or do you any favors, especially for such a premature question.

Reactions: 1 user
The ALL CAPS are strong in this thread.

As has been mentioned multiple times in this sub-forum, even Heme/Onc fellows at UAMS aren't allowed access to their hallowed myeloma "institute".

Reactions: 1 user
As has been mentioned multiple times in this sub-forum, even Heme/Onc fellows at UAMS aren't allowed access to their hallowed myeloma "institute".

a.k.a the secret chamber of "total therapy"

a couple cycles of VDT-PACE followed by a couple transplants followed by another couple rounds of VDT-PACE followed by VDT maintenance ... I mean do fellows really want to see that?