1. As part of our nonprofit mission, SDN supports medical student publications, websites and blogs. Students with blogs are encouraged to apply for our publisher stipend. It's a small amount to help defray costs and encourage open discussion and exchange of ideas. Contact: [email protected]
  2. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Studying for the DAT, GRE, OAT or PCAT? Test Prep Week Exhibitors are here to help!

Best countries for IMGs

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by ferubond007, Sep 9, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
Tags:
  1. ferubond007

ferubond007

Sep 9, 2017
    Hello guys !

i wanted to know what are the best developed countries to get medical residencies in for International medical graduates (Pakistani national with a medical degree from Bulgaria) in terms of ease of getting residency, job prospects, immigration etc. As i intend to practice in that country indefinitely, immigration and job prospects are important factors for me. Maybe you guys can briefly describe the situation in the following countries ,now and in the future, and also recommend one according to experience and information. 1) USA 2) Canada 3) UK 4) Ireland 5) Australia & New Zealand 6) Western European Union countries like Germany, Sweden etc

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Cura_te_ipsum

Cura_te_ipsum

Sep 4, 2017
    Given President Trump's agenda on immigrants, you might explore non-US countries. Foreign Medical Grads (non-US born physicians) are having a really hard with staying in America. I live in USA

sorry

4. JibsGuy52

JibsGuy52 2+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Canada is nearly impossible for IMG's.

5. Cyal

Cyal 2+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I heard it's not too difficult to immigrate to Canada if you are young non-criminal professional. It's probably a different issue non-Canadian MDs.

6. IMG69

IMG69

May 11, 2017
    As a Nz'er, Australia and NZ will be near impossible as all the spots they have go straight to the grads from those countries and there's no room for others really, although you could try I guess.

UK is also impossible I believe, friend told me this; he said you basically have to have a UK passport and

7. JibsGuy52

JibsGuy52 2+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2015
    I'm Canadian. Our process is long as hell (multiple years). There is no guarantee your medical license will even transfer over. Most of these IMG positions are filled by Canadians that attend US medical schools.

8. Prehealth1011

Prehealth1011

Nov 28, 2015
    Canada - you need a PR/citizenship to even apply for residency.
    Aus/NZ - no spots
    UK/Ireland - you need a EU passport
    Germany/Sweden - you need to be proficient in their language first in order to apply for residency
    For the latter three, you can apply but the likelihood of getting a residency is extremely slim.

In other words, US is your best option out of the ones listed.

JibsGuy52 likes this.
  9. Prehealth1011

Prehealth1011

Nov 28, 2015
    Without a Canadian PR/Citizenship, you're rejected right off the bat. That's a specific requirement needed for getting a Canadian residency.

10. ferubond007

ferubond007

Sep 9, 2017
    Won't getting a residency and immigrating to the US permanently also become harder in 5-6 years? The political atmosphere seems to be quite uncertain and some say the increased number of US medical schools will affect IMGs in 4-5 years time. But since i just have an 'outsiders' view, i was hoping people who are better equipped to answer can help in this case.

11. JibsGuy52

JibsGuy52 2+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2015
    This is very true. DO's are gobbling up those residency positions. I would not want to be an IMG in 4-5 years.

12. ferubond007

ferubond007

Sep 9, 2017
    So what about EU countries like Germany and Sweden? Are they better alternative prospects for residency and immigration?

13. AnalisCanalis

AnalisCanalis 2+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Well, do you speak german or swedish?

14. ferubond007

ferubond007

Sep 9, 2017
    Currently, i don't. But assuming i am able to learn the language, are they good alternatives or is getting a medical residency for a non-EU national be significantly difficult?

15. PlutoBoy

PlutoBoy Sic transit gloria mundi 7+ Year Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Try Spain, Argentina, Chile, Mexico!

In Spain you take a test (called MIR) and if you pass you compete with everyone else on the same footing, Spanish citizens included. That means that if you get the highest score in the country you get to pick the specialty and location that you want. No dealing with LORs, IVs, etc.

After you complete training in Spain you can move to any other EU country although I don't know why you would do that. Spain is awesome.

In Mexico and Argentina you pay for the training. I'm not sure about Chile.

16. AnalisCanalis

Nov 4, 2013
    That's quite the assumption! It's not unheard of provided that you somehow manage to gain lawful residence in the country (most of the non-eu nationals are middle-eastern refugees). I'm not familiar with the immigration process for non-eu physicians. I suspect it's difficult (if at all possible). Your background will put you at a large disadvantage either way, but if you are fine with something like family medicine in a rural area you could make it happen (Sweden). More realistically you should save yourself the trouble and look for opportunities in an English speaking country. That's just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 at 9:12 AM
  17. AnalisCanalis

Nov 4, 2013
  18. ferubond007

ferubond007

Sep 9, 2017

Which English-speaking countries would you recommend?

19. AnalisCanalis

Nov 4, 2013
    The US, as pointed out earlier in this thread.