MCAT Berkeley Review Homestudy Schedules and Homework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep for now-defunct Course & Bad Singer
Vendor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is here for quick reference for people using BR materials for self-preparation. There are two schedules listed here (12 weeks and 16 weeks). The idea was to list two variations that could be completed while leaving time for full lengths at the end. Neither plan is necessarily better than the other, so you should choose based strictly on your available time. If you are in school and you know you'll have to take three or four weeks off from MCAT studying, then modify the schedule here to work around school.

Comments will be added with changes, such as the implementation of the new physics books (October 2010) and the new chemistry books (October 2011).

BR 12-Week Study Schedule: View attachment Berkeley Review 12-week Syllbus.xls

BR 16-Week Study Schedule: View attachment Berkeley Review 16-week Syllabus.xls

You'll notice that phase 3 for physics is open ended at the moment. There are passages to fill those slots, but they are being revised at the moment and will be released over time. Look for updates in this thread from time to time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
{{{{{Please note that the attachments in the previous post are for 2011 test takers and are based on the Summer 2010 BR books, including the latest physics book and general chemistry book. If you have older books, the page numbers may not match with the phase list.}}}}}

I figured I should repost the a rundown of the homestudy books from a neighboring thread.

Books that are available with Homestudy program (all passages include full explanations)
Biology Book 1
Neuro and Muscle, Heart and Lung, Kidney and GI, Reproduction and Development, and Endocrinology and Imminology 75 passages
Biology Book 2
Cellular Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Genetics 75 passages

General Chemistry Book 1
Stoichiometry, Atomic Structure, Equilibrium, Acids and Bases, and Titrations 68 passages
General Chemistry Book 2
Gases, Phases, Thermodynamics, Chemical Kinetics, and Electrochemistry 63 passages
(Our general chemistry books garner high praise for their passages, answer explanations, and unique tricks for solving questions quickly. We proudly boast the best general chemistry books for the MCAT anywhere)

Organic Chemistry Book 1
Organic Structure, Spectroscopy, Stereochemistry, and Hydrocarbons 53 passages
Organic Chemistry Book 2
Carbonyls, Carbohydrates, Amino Acids, and Laboratory Techniques 54 passages

Physics Book 1
Translational Motion, Forces, Work, Momentum, Torque, Periodic Motion, and Waves 50 passages
Physics Book 2
Sound, Fluids and Solids, Electrostatics and Electromagnetism, Electrical Circuits, Light, and Optics 50 passages
(Our physics books garner high praise for their passages, answer explanations, and unique tricks for solving questions quickly. We proudly boast the best physics books for the MCAT anywhere and we'll be introducing a new physics book for homestudy in October 2010.)

Verbal Reasoning Book
includes 105 passages with full answer explanations and test strategy tips
Essay Composition Book
includes sample essays and a strategy formula for writing a strong essay

What makes our books the best?
Simply put, the authors are all experienced teachers in their field of exertise, and they write explanations, concepts, and strategies gleaned over years of teaching. Only experts at teaching MCAT preparation know how to write a book aimed at this level, mixing strategies, problem solving skills, and conceptual review of material. No other MCAT preparation material authors can claim to have as much teaching experience as Berkeley Review's authors. We've been writing practice questions and review MCAT for the MCAT since 1988. BR's explanations are second to none.

Here are some samples:

Titration Text and Sample Question: View attachment 15483

Electromagnetism Sample Passage: View attachment 15482

Electrochemical Cells Sample Text:

Last edited:
Few questions.
1. Was a new bio book released? the one i have has 2009 copyright. The pages listed correlate to the pages in the bio book i have.
2. Are the question review tests for the physics passage-based like the current book? if they are, why are they not listed by individual passage numbers like the others or is it because they're lumped up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Few questions.
1. Was a new bio book released? the one i have has 2009 copyright. The pages listed correlate to the pages in the bio book i have.
2. Are the question review tests for the physics passage-based like the current book? if they are, why are they not listed by individual passage numbers like the others or is it because they're lumped up?

(1) The biology book gets cosmetic changes with each new printing (upgraded drawing or two and a changed question here and there), but the book's core has not changed in at least six years. If you have one of the tapebound versions, you essentially have the latest. It should match the list.

(2) The 12-week and 16-week study guides are modified versions of a class homework list. Because the class uses the newest physics books (due out next month sometime--really--I think they actually mean it for real), the planner uses those passages. What they've done in the new books is taken the previous ten passage per chapter format and laid the passages out differently. There is a three 3-passage review test for phase 1. It comes with enough free standing questions to make it 25 questions total. Phase 2 for students who take the course is a set of passages that are passed out in class. I believe those are five passages with between 32 and 35 questions per set. Phase 3 is a 52-question practice test that includes 7 passages and 12 free standing questions. Phase 3 involves questions and topics from other chapters mixed in with the topics from the section they are attached to. For the list posted here, you'll notice that only phases 1 and 2 appear. Phase 3 can be filled with passages based on what each student is using in their homestudy arsenal.

I have to say I'm really impressed with the attention they put into selecting exactly what passages and questions went into each set. In the end, most students do every passage anyway, so maybe it's not that important. But I personally like their phases, because I learn best that way.

I bought the physics, chem and orgo books in the fall of 2008. Have they changed much since then or am I OK with using those for prep?

Also, I think I heard that the verbal books got a complete makeover (content). Is that true?

Thanks!

I bought the physics, chem and orgo books in the fall of 2008. Have they changed much since then or am I OK with using those for prep?

Also, I think I heard that the verbal books got a complete makeover (content). Is that true?

Thanks!

Physics is much different, and once the new version is released, it will be VERY much worth updating. The strategies that have been added are superb, there are now explanations to all of the questions (emphasizing both test techniques and the material), and the key chapters have been fortified (Fluids and E & M).

General chemistry has some revamped questions, additional electrochemistry, and improvements and editting since then, but I'm not sure it's worth spending the money and wait time to update. I suspect anything 2007 or later will work quite well.

Organic chemistry has a shinier cover now. You can use it to reflect the library lights into the eyes of your competitors and ruin their studying, thereby lowering the curve. Just make sure you zap people taking the exam the same day as you. As for the content, I think it's pretty much identical to 2008.

I haven't looked at the verbal book in years (since the time I was working to improve my score), but I do know it's certainly thicker than before. I'm pretty sure there are some new passages, but I think the biggest change is increased length of answer explanations. For someone like me, I get lost withh too much of an explanation when it comes to verbal. My small attention span limits my appreciation to explanations that are two paragraphs for less.

Physics is much different, and once the new version is released, it will be VERY much worth updating. The strategies that have been added are superb, there are now explanations to all of the questions (emphasizing both test techniques and the material), and the key chapters have been fortified (Fluids and E & M).

General chemistry has some revamped questions, additional electrochemistry, and improvements and editting since then, but I'm not sure it's worth spending the money and wait time to update. I suspect anything 2007 or later will work quite well.

Organic chemistry has a shinier cover now. You can use it to reflect the library lights into the eyes of your competitors and ruin their studying, thereby lowering the curve. Just make sure you zap people taking the exam the same day as you. As for the content, I think it's pretty much identical to 2008.

I haven't looked at the verbal book in years (since the time I was working to improve my score), but I do know it's certainly thicker than before. I'm pretty sure there are some new passages, but I think the biggest change is increased length of answer explanations. For someone like me, I get lost withh too much of an explanation when it comes to verbal. My small attention span limits my appreciation to explanations that are two paragraphs for less.

When will these new physics books be released?

Great spreadsheets Berk, thank you. This should be stickied. :)

Quick question: do you know why Bio Part I is scheduled/taught before Bio Part II?

I would think the Bio books should be in reverse order since traditionally cell functions and metabolism are taught first. In contrast, TBR starts with nerves and muscle while leaving cell stuff for later. I wonder if there's a method to the madness.

Great spreadsheets Berk, thank you. This should be stickied. :)

Quick question: do you know why Bio Part I is scheduled/taught before Bio Part II?

I would think the Bio books should be in reverse order since traditionally cell functions and metabolism are taught first. In contrast, TBR starts with nerves and muscle while leaving cell stuff for later. I wonder if there's a method to the madness.

The logic behind the biology sequence was built on doing book 1 (the physiology material) and book 2 (the genetics, molecular biology, and cell biology material) independently for the most part, once cell biology was reviewed. The schedule calls for covering cell biology before other topics, as that is the foundation of many of the sections in biology. The genetics chapters are back-to-back in the schedule to help the knowledge building process. Neuro is covered before heart and lung and kidney to again establish some foundation. Other than those points, the biology teacher who set up the syllabus wasn't adament about anything else. I think endocrinology can be done pretty much anywhere. Reproduction falls about the same time as genetics, which fits together well.

If you want to modify the sequence to fit your approach, you should. Although the schedule is based on a good deal of thought, that thought stems from the live class schedule which is heavily influenced by course sequences at UCI, UCLA, and UCB (where most of BR's students come from).

THEY'RE OUT!!! Finally! :)

I just got my real copy of Book I and Book II is on the way!!!

Do you know if there's an inventory of old books they'll have to work through first? If I order now will I definitely get the new books?

Do you know if there's an inventory of old books they'll have to work through first? If I order now will I definitely get the new books?

yeah, do we need to wait? i just received my copies of chem and bio today, but will buy physics at the end of the month...do you think i will get the new edition or the old?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a copy of Book I and it is a huge improvement on an already really good book. The only problem is that now I'm going to have to go through it over again haha.

I just got a copy of Book I and it is a huge improvement on an already really good book. The only problem is that now I'm going to have to go through it over again haha.

What are the huge improvements? I have a used edition from last year, and wonder if I should pay for the new ones.

I'm not sure of my answer, but I believe they make the physics books as they need them (as they're ordered), so I don't think there's any stack to go through. I think the issue will come down to when Book II is delivered to them by the printers. I'll post when I finally get my Book II, because I'd guess that will be the day they're available for homestudy.

That describes it really well, "it is a huge improvement on an already really good book." I like that there are more tricks and mnemonics in each chapter. The layout of the passages is better and I like the explanations to the B-questions. I know you haven't seen it yet (I have the beta version), but the Magnetism section and the Optics section are so much better than before.

Are you in the class or did you get it homestudy? If it's homestudy, then everyone should disregard my answer above because they might be sending Book I new version and Book II 2010 version.

BRT - is the passage phases breakdown for physics listed by passage number rather than page number somewhere, similar to how they're listed in the other books?

BRT - now that the new physics books have been published, have the new study schedules come out yet (w/ phase 3 updated for physics)?

BRT - now that the new physics books have been published, have the new study schedules come out yet (w/ phase 3 updated for physics)?

Phase III is a bit of a mess at the moment. It's in the developmental stage, which basically means it's being used in class as suplemental handouts until they get enough feedback to decide what to keep and what to throw away. The phase III homework likely won't be in the book for another year.

The schedule I've put as a downloadable attachement has a hole for Phase III of physics. I'm assuming most people will fill that hole with whatever they have available at the time. Even if they just do two phases of homework, that's 770 questions (not counting the ones in the text section).

Could you please post the new home study schedules for 2012?
Thanks!

BR-Teach,

Could you please post the new 12 week study schedule for the TBR 9 book set since the books are revised?

Thank you!

Berkeley Review can you post an updated schedule for 2012 as there are many "to be released sections" in the current schedule. Thank you in advance!

Berkeley Review Tech can you please upload the updated version of the schedule. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.