Berkeley Review Biology Section 1 Question 1 (page 40)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncotraum

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would someone be able to explain to me the reasoning for this answer?
1. Nicotinic cholinergic receptors can be found at all of the following locations EXCEPT:
a. cells of the adrenal medulla
b. autonomic nervous system ganglia
c. postganglionic parasympathetic neuron targets
d. endplates of motor neurons

I thought the answer was A but the answer is actually C. I'm confused because I thought the parasympathetic nervous system always releases acetyl choline as its neurotransmitter.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If I'm not mistaken nicotine receptors can be found at all autonomic sympathetic and parasympathetic ganglia, including the adrenal medulla, also neuromuscular junctions. C is the correct choice because it says the target of the postganglionic parasympathetic neuron "targets" which would be effector organs which have muscarinic receptors

Reactions: 1 users
f08a474967cd069d35cd48fe5d1a3b12.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Think of nicotinic as a stimulant. Stimulants are related to adrenaline, in sympathetic nervous system. Now think of muscarine, sounds like mescaline, a soothing relaxant, appropriate for resting and digesting those target organs, via parasympathetic post ganglionic neurons

Members don't see this ad :)
do we have to know something like this in as much detail as this? i too was stumped by this and since it was stand alone filed it under one of those too specific questions.

besides psych soc most is passage based and general deep understanding right?