Benzo Withdrawal guidelines?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxBlueDevils

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think there is some information in Goldfrank's Toxicology about benzo withdrawal, but are there guidelines available for it? :scared::scared::scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I think there is some information in Goldfrank's Toxicology about benzo withdrawal, but are there guidelines available for it? :scared::scared::scared:

I don't think there is a guideline. What we are taught is: decrease dose by 10% of the starting dose per week. For the final 20%, decrease by 1/2 per week.

While I am not precisely certain what in your post requires three "scared faces," here is a review covering some of the literature on this topic by someone I have come to rely on when it comes to CNS active drugs. What in the hell is scary about your question? The mere thought that there may not be guidelines on this is too terrifying for you to even think about? Weird. Maybe I am missing something.

http://www.thecarlatreport.com/index.asp?page=wp316200794254

I doubt there are any "guidelines" dedicated solely to this issue. But, I am often wrong, especially regarding things I spend little time thinking about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, since there aren't any guidelines, are there any other references that may have information on benzo withdrawals?

While I am not precisely certain what in your post requires three "scared faces," here is a review covering some of the literature on this topic by someone I have come to rely on when it comes to CNS active drugs. What in the hell is scary about your question? The mere thought that there may not be guidelines on this is too terrifying for you to even think about? Weird. Maybe I am missing something.

I doubt there are any "guidelines" dedicated solely to this issue. But, I am often wrong, especially regarding things I spend little time thinking about.

Good article. Do you know anything about switching someone to a LHL BZD, like chlordiazepoxide, if they are on a SHL and then decreasing by 10%/day?

Last edited:

got an interesting case on rotation at the moment -

26 y/o male hx of psoriasis - on raptiva x10-12 months - med hx includes zopiclone and acetaminophen

shx non smoker - positive for etoh and cocaine
negative iv drug use / sexual risk factors

presented with diffuse severe lymphoadenopathy ... acute onset.... every lymph node from his jaws to his groins. biggest the resident has ever seen - even came up on MRI.

raptiva immediately d/c'ed and now being assessed by hematology.

you hear much about lymphoma risk and raptiva? (or its class)...

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I found this link online. Anyone know anything about this Ashton Manual? Is it a credible source?

http://benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

Yes, that manual became the basis for the British National Formulary's guidelines on benzodiazepine withdrawal.

As far as I know there is no no US equivalent. I strongly suggest following Ashton/British National Formulary.