Benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is it so difficult to get information about benefits? And why is it so taboo to ask this information? While it may not be the most important issue, it's still important. For example, some places provide health insurance. Other places require you to pay part of the premium. Some places insure the whole family. Other places sock you with $$$ in order to insure spouse/children. I think it's reasonable for me to know whether I have to pick between health insurance or food. At one program I interviewed at, it's going to cost $280/mo to insure myself and my husband. I think that's unreasonable and I think all programs should have to disclose this information up front instead of when you show up for orientation.

Also, what is the big deal about telling us what the salary is going to be? I spent $$$ to go interview at these programs. Now I'm supposed to rank them with only part of the information? Why do PD's not know this information, or are they simply withholding this information? Does no program do their budget before July? They know they're budgeted for a resident slot for the year. They ought to know how much is budgeted for that slot.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for this lengthy oration. Thank you for the oppportunity to scream.

Members don't see this ad.

This is an important issue for me too. Try contacting the GME/human resources dept's of programs to get the scoop. That's what i've done.

Hmmm...I am not quite sure what you mean, because most programs when I interviewed were pretty forthcoming about this stuff. They may not have had exact amounts but they would have put me in contact with someone. And salaries are quite often posted on the website - because they are the same for every field within the hospital or institution. There is generally some kind of pamphlet they can give you that explains it.

Perhaps they don't tell you because often the specifics are different for each person and they don't want to give you the wrong idea. And sometimes salaries do change, but they should be able to tell you current information. None of this is secret info.

Most the programs I went to were up front about it...the ones with the really good salaries/benefits used it as a selling point.

But there were definitely some programs with crappy benefits that really tried to hide it...I found that asking the residents about it was the easiest way to go. I felt that it was an appropriate resident question to ask. I feel that benefits are a very important part of it, especially if you have a family.