Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same boat here - Friday got my 4th md II. So waiting on all md decisions still, and 2/2 on do interviews to acceptances.

I had zero II's last year

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
3.1cGPA, 3.5sGPA, 30 MCAT - in my thirties. Technically started off with a term of 5 classes I never dropped while dual enrolled in HS, so all F's so a 0.00. Then I took classes here and there during my first career (action sports photographer/writer) and got some good and some bad grades. I decided while I loved it, it wasn't enough, went back to pursue medicine. Did 1 year at a cc, then moved to start a consulting job in the medical field, did another year at cc, then transferred to a top state U. Took me 4 years of every quarter (no summer breaks) because I was taking 10-12 credits at a time and working more than full time at the hospital, but I managed to get my GPA over 3.0, and did basically 4 years of pure science classes (I only took 1 non-science class at UW over those 4 years)

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
3.1cGPA, 3.5sGPA, 30 MCAT - in my thirties. Technically started off with a term of 5 classes I never dropped while dual enrolled in HS, so all F's so a 0.00. Then I took classes here and there during my first career (action sports photographer/writer) and got some good and some bad grades. I decided while I loved it, it wasn't enough, went back to pursue medicine. Did 1 year at a cc, then moved to start a consulting job in the medical field, did another year at cc, then transferred to a top state U. Took me 4 years of every quarter (no summer breaks) because I was taking 10-12 credits at a time and working more than full time at the hospital, but I managed to get my GPA over 3.0, and did basically 4 years of pure science classes (I only took 1 non-science class at UW over those 4 years)

Thank you for the motivation, and congratulations on the acceptances Dr.

This is what 230+ quarter credits of hard work looks like - and if I can do it, so can you! It may seem like a long hard slog at times, but it will be worth it in the end. I highly suggest using one of the available gpa calculators like the one I made, it really help motivate you by seeing positive changes and encourages you to keep up positive trends.

ImageUploadedBySDN1488393904.142293.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Hello everyone, I've been lurking around SDN for a few months and decided this is the thread for me.

After 4 years of taking classes off and on, I had a 1.51 GPA after 80 units attempted. I worked too much and kept signing up for courses I couldn't finish, and I'd either withdraw past the drop deadline or just stop going to class and get an F. Long story short, my transcript looked like a warzone, I was dismissed and I had no motivation. I finally said forget it and worked for a few years.

When I finally got my act together, I started over at a community college. Got an AS with a 3.96 GPA, and now I'm finishing up my bachelor's at a different 4 year. I'm a non-science major and I should graduate next Spring.

Assuming I added everything up correctly, I'm currently at a 2.66 combined GPA. The number of units I've taken means GPA lifts are increasingly incremental, but it is still a far cry from the 1.51 I had. My loftiest estimates tell me that I could have up to a 3.3 GPA when all is said and done.

My plan is to finish my bachelors and then do a 2 year post bacc to further raise the GPA and complete my science prerequisites. DO grade replacement is going to be my best friend, but I will probably apply to some MD schools as well.
Here's my first post from 2014. I was accepted to a DO school today, and I'm waitlisted at another DO school and an MD school. It can be done.

Reactions: 12 users
Here's my first post from 2014. I was accepted to a DO school today, and I'm waitlisted at another DO school and an MD school. It can be done.

CONGRATULATIONS! Nothing short of inspiring! How closely did your plan align with what you actually ended up doing? Also, did you end up making it over the 3.0 hump?

CONGRATULATIONS! Nothing short of inspiring! How closely did your plan align with what you actually ended up doing? Also, did you end up making it over the 3.0 hump?
My plan was fairly close. I ended up putting off graduation in order to stay eligible for financial aid as I completed my pre-reqs. I did 1.5 years of pre-req work and I'm currently in an SMP. Probably the biggest difference in my plan was that I didn't end up using grade replacement because the units of my courses didn't add up and I didn't have a lot of options. I did not maintain straight As in my pre-reqs, but I did fairly well. I did do a retroactive medical withdrawal from my worst semester and ended up applying with a 3.28 overall and 3.20 science gpa.

Reactions: 4 users
My plan was fairly close. I ended up putting off graduation in order to stay eligible for financial aid as I completed my pre-reqs. I did 1.5 years of pre-req work and I'm currently in an SMP. Probably the biggest difference in my plan was that I didn't end up using grade replacement because the units of my courses didn't add up and I didn't have a lot of options. I did not maintain straight As in my pre-reqs, but I did fairly well. I did do a retroactive medical withdrawal from my worst semester and ended up applying with a 3.28 overall and 3.20 science gpa.

I wish there was a retroactive medical withdrawal for being immature (in the way I handled things). But I am very slowly learning to forgive my younger self.

Thanks for updating this thread! It is always so inspiring to see folks who don't just have big ambitions but who go out and put in the work to slay them. So inspiring.

Congrats again!

So glad I found this thread!

Background
25 Years old
Double Majors: Biochemistry and Microbiology
Undergrad cGPA: 2.54
Undergrad BCPM GPA: 2.46
Extra Curricular: Mentor middle school kids in MedTrek, a science based program where they get meet people in health professions and do lab projects.
Shadowing: I have about 40 hours of shadowing a family medicine doctor and will continue to do so.
Patient Care Experience: I have 120 hours in PCA work.
Publication: One scientific paper in PLOS

Should I even try to apply to Medical School or am I just wasting my time? I didn’t have a lot of support while I was in school with pre-health advising or financial help. I went from an honor student getting straight A’s in everything in high school to struggling really hard trying to adjust to college life as well as having some personal problems. I was a first generation college student and a refugee so I worked full-time while attending school full time to make ends meet. I ended up getting pregnant after my freshman year. I’m still a single mom, she’s now 5 years old! I took a semester off to have my baby and took summer courses to graduate on time with my class. My cGPA and sGPA are almost the same as I only took science courses (one of my problems). I should have just taken the general courses instead of taking the science courses “for majors” (they were harder than the general courses). I’ve always wanted to be a doctor since 4th grade and I’ve still been working towards it. I’m not ready to give up that dream just yet. I’ve been working in as a lab tech/researcher for about 3 years. I’ve been doing my MPH part time while working and so far I have a 3.8 gpa. I also took some science classes as continuing ed and I have a 3.45 gpa. If I also got a Masters in Medical Sciences with a 4.0 gpa, a strong MCAT score, and great LORs and PS, would this better my chances? I’m looking to apply to my state school which also happens to be my alma mater. I’m curious if I am being too ambitious on my chances of getting in anywhere? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

So glad I found this thread!

Background
25 Years old
Double Majors: Biochemistry and Microbiology
Undergrad cGPA: 2.54
Undergrad BCPM GPA: 2.46
Extra Curricular: Mentor middle school kids in MedTrek, a science based program where they get meet people in health professions and do lab projects.
Shadowing: I have about 40 hours of shadowing a family medicine doctor and will continue to do so.
Patient Care Experience: I have 120 hours in PCA work.
Publication: One scientific paper in PLOS

Should I even try to apply to Medical School or am I just wasting my time? I didn’t have a lot of support while I was in school with pre-health advising or financial help. I went from an honor student getting straight A’s in everything in high school to struggling really hard trying to adjust to college life as well as having some personal problems. I was a first generation college student and a refugee so I worked full-time while attending school full time to make ends meet. I ended up getting pregnant after my freshman year. I’m still a single mom, she’s now 5 years old! I took a semester off to have my baby and took summer courses to graduate on time with my class. My cGPA and sGPA are almost the same as I only took science courses (one of my problems). I should have just taken the general courses instead of taking the science courses “for majors” (they were harder than the general courses). I’ve always wanted to be a doctor since 4th grade and I’ve still been working towards it. I’m not ready to give up that dream just yet. I’ve been working in as a lab tech/researcher for about 3 years. I’ve been doing my MPH part time while working and so far I have a 3.8 gpa. I also took some science classes as continuing ed and I have a 3.45 gpa. If I also got a Masters in Medical Sciences with a 4.0 gpa, a strong MCAT score, and great LORs and PS, would this better my chances? I’m looking to apply to my state school which also happens to be my alma mater. I’m curious if I am being too ambitious on my chances of getting in anywhere? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hey there - glad you found this forum too! As far as your plan, I would really focus on taking a few key undergrad science classes and knock them out with As. I think your MPH track record at a 3.8 is sufficient and a masters in science would serve a redundant purpose as your MPH. (Showing you can handle the work)

At this point, what is your cumulative undergrad cGPA, sGPA and gGPA?

If you can get your cGPA/sGPA above a 3.0, (with 3-4 recent undergrad courses at straight As) coupled with your MPH grades, a STRONG MCAT score (>90%ile), and you top it all off with a personal statement in which you tie it all together and clearly differentiate old vs. new you, and you have a shot!!

However, apply broadly! I know you have your sights set on your state school, but if this is truly your dream, apply to both DO and MD schools and go where you get in.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there - glad you found this forum too! As far as your plan, I would really focus on taking a few key undergrad science classes and knock them out with As. I think your MPH track record at a 3.8 is sufficient and a masters in science would serve a redundant purpose as your MPH. (Showing you can handle the work)

At this point, what is your cumulative undergrad cGPA, sGPA and gGPA?

If you can get your cGPA/sGPA above a 3.0, (with 3-4 recent undergrad courses at straight As) coupled with your MPH grades, a STRONG MCAT score (>90%ile), and you top it all off with a personal statement in which you tie it all together and clearly differentiate old vs. new you, and you have a shot!!

However, apply broadly! I know you have your sights set on your state school, but if this is truly your dream, apply to both DO and MD schools and go where you get in.

Thanks for the reply! I have about 107 credits majority all hard sciences as I double majored.. So my sGPA is 2.46, cGPA is 2.54, and gGPA is a 3.6. If I got all As doing the Masters program which is 120 credits in science courses, I would only be able to raise my GPA up to a 2.8. It's going to be hard to repair my sGPA as I've taken nearly all BCPM courses. I will definitely keep trying! Thanks!

My undergraduate gpa was less than 3.0. Not even close to a 3.0. My transcript had as many red flags as there can be. I'm currently an MD student at a good US school.

I had a ton of research and experience. I had great letters but most were from MD's and not undergrad professors. I applied to 93 medical schools. I cashed in all the favors. Also- I make a good impression in person.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't do this but honestly- if you really want to guarantee yourself a spot then establish residency in a state with public med schools which prefer in-state students. Like Kentucky. Get a job there. Rent a room there. If you are a non trad student or a low gpa student then the state in which you claim residency will have the largest impact on your acceptance. Seriously- go check out the schools in Alabama, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Kentucky.

Hello fellow non-traditionals,

As moonlightstar16 put it, "Am I wasting my time?"

I'm 32 years old. I received BS in Biotechnology 10 years ago on an athletic scholarship, 2.5gpa at that time.
After my previous undergraduate degree I did co-author and publish physical chemistry research.
I was an athlete first and my gpa shows it.

I attempted to return several times and literally wasted my time and money. If I got a bad quiz grade I honestly would not come back to class.
It was completely a disproportionate response to the stress. I wasn't angry. I just withdrew myself.

I got married and talked through my issues with my wife and I felt good about coming back.

At the end of this spring semester I will have completed 70+ credits in two years accounting for a 3.8gpa taking only bio/chem/medicine related classes(new and repeats of old).
I will have a B.A. in Biology whenever I take a required spanish class.
I also TA for Anatomy and Physiology and have mentored another student who needed to repeat a required internship for their Biotechnology degree.

Prior to this I had accumulated a combined ~1000 Emergency room tech, Inpatient EKG tech, and Inpatient (cardiac stepdown) CNA shifts.
Every ER shift included planned sitdown/shadowing time with the attending physician.

Last Fall I took the MCAT a month into the new semester and received a 496. My sciences were 68% and 56%, however I scored in the 25th and 36th percentile in CARS and Psych/Soc.
I was weak on psych/soc discrete questions(basic definitions) and I fell a passage and a half behind during the CARS.
I plan on taking it again in the summer and I feel good about making a large jump in those two subjects.

I live in a flyover state that accepted 1/3 of the instate applicants to the state medical school and have multiple DO schools within 3 hours away. I will also apply to the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences medical school (wife is an alum).

Currently, I am running low on classes left to take and will need a new plan for Spring 2018.
I am taking 21 credit hours right now and it's going to be tough to get up to 16 in the fall.
I am waiting to hear back from research lab positions I applied for.
It now looks as if I will have a good shot at getting sponsored my school's pre-med committee.

-Thank You

I'm 32 years old. I received BS in Biotechnology 10 years ago on an athletic scholarship, 2.5gpa at that time.
After my previous undergraduate degree I did co-author and publish physical chemistry research.

I attempted to return several times and literally wasted my time and money. If I got a bad quiz grade I honestly would not come back to class.
It was completely a disproportionate response to the stress. I wasn't angry. I just withdrew myself.

I got married and talked through my issues with my wife and I felt good about coming back.

At the end of this spring semester I will have completed 70+ credits in two years accounting for a 3.8gpa taking only bio/chem/medicine related classes(new and repeats of old).
I also TA for Anatomy and Physiology and have mentored another student who needed to repeat a required internship for their Biotechnology degree.

Prior to this I had accumulated a combined ~1000 Emergency room tech, Inpatient EKG tech, and Inpatient (cardiac stepdown) CNA shifts.
Every ER shift included planned sitdown/shadowing time with the attending physician.

Last Fall I took the MCAT a month into the new semester and received a 496. My sciences were 68% and 56%, however I scored in the 25th and 36th percentile in CARS and Psych/Soc.
I was weak on psych/soc discrete questions(basic definitions) and I fell a passage and a half behind during the CARS.
I plan on taking it again in the summer and I feel good about making a large jump in those two subjects.

I live in a flyover state that accepted 1/3 of the instate applicants to the state medical school and have multiple DO schools within 3 hours away. I will also apply to the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences medical school (wife is an alum).

Currently, I am running low on classes left to take and will need a new plan for Spring 2018.
I am taking 21 credit hours right now and it's going to be tough to get up to 16 in the fall.
It now looks as if I will have a good shot at getting sponsored my school's pre-med committee.

-Thank You

What is your current cumulative GPA and science GPA with all of your courses?

How did you prepare for the MCAT last time and for how long?

I absolutely love and appreciate this thread. I'm not sub-3.0 (cGPA 3.2), but have two previous MCAT scored (both 489).
I had very little support from my school advisors and was always put down for having a career as a Licensed Veterinary Technician (started as a receptionist and learned quickly, grandfathered in for my license). To be honest, I've never seen myself in VetMed - it was all chance. My job pays the bills and has allowed me amazing medical practice throughout school. I'm prepared to answer "Why not DVM" since that's going to be a big deal.
I'm taking my 3rd MCAT in May, having been using a completely different study technique.

Here's to us underdogs who have incredible determination!

Reactions: 1 users

-Thank You

What worked for me with CARS, if you're interested:
To each his own- especially with CARS- but I've always found the trick to be highlighting the proper nouns and numbers. I dont waste time with passage maps. I just highlighted years, names, and titles- these are the flags that the questions are typically tethered too. I never had to look back and ask myself, "ok where was that first author mentioned?"

Also, if you have life experience then its important to clear your mind of everything you know about the topic. I found I was more likely to answer wrong on passages that I actually found interesting- because I would bring in other information I knew and popular opinions. But you gotta clear your mind of all past knowledge.

I took the MCAT multiple times and always scored about 93rd percentile in cars. Also- The Atlantic offers good practice reading.
----

You're currently a CNA? Do you an in? Someone who can put in a good word? I'm convinced this is basically required for at least half of acceptances.

I'm graduating next quarter from a UC. I'm not a bio major because I wanted to major in cognitive science. For the longest time I was unsure about medical school but now it's clear to me that it really is something I want. Staying at a UC will be too expensive though I wished I figured all of this out earlier. If I really have to, I'll try to enroll in a post bac because the thing is.. I've yet to take biochem and ochem. I was thinking about taking those at a community college. I've been reading and researching and I think in the end, it doesn't matter if one takes classes at a CC as long as their MCAT score is high which shows that they're capable of taking that class anywhere.

I'm in this thread because currently, my GPA is about a 2.96c and science- is about a s-2.6. Do I have a shot at this? Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should do and where I should start? I could probably bring up the cumulative by the time I graduate but it still won't change the science GPA.

Hi guys, I need you guys' opinions here, please.
my cGPA is 2.89, sGPA is 2.5. The new grade replacement policy killed me earlier, but I won't give up. Right now, I registered for DIY postbacc at 4year university.
I am going to take Neurobiology, cell biology +lab, Pharmacology I and II, special topic for bio, and immunology + lab for fall and spring 2018. And then I will give it a shot to apply for medical school in Spring 2018. If I don't get accepted, I wilkl apply for master's degree.

I am not going to retake any classes since AACOMAS changed the grade policy.

Does it sound like a great plan?

Thank you in advance.

Hi guys, I need you guys' opinions here, please.
my cGPA is 2.89, sGPA is 2.5. The new grade replacement policy killed me earlier, but I won't give up. Right now, I registered for DIY postbacc at 4year university.
I am going to take Neurobiology, cell biology +lab, Pharmacology I and II, special topic for bio, and immunology + lab for fall and spring 2018. And then I will give it a shot to apply for medical school in Spring 2018. If I don't get accepted, I wilkl apply for master's degree.

I am not going to retake any classes since AACOMAS changed the grade policy.

Does it sound like a great plan?

Thank you in advance.
That sounds good. Have you done the math as to where that would get your gpa? What are your MCAT plans?

I'm graduating next quarter from a UC. I'm not a bio major because I wanted to major in cognitive science. For the longest time I was unsure about medical school but now it's clear to me that it really is something I want. Staying at a UC will be too expensive though I wished I figured all of this out earlier. If I really have to, I'll try to enroll in a post bac because the thing is.. I've yet to take biochem and ochem. I was thinking about taking those at a community college. I've been reading and researching and I think in the end, it doesn't matter if one takes classes at a CC as long as their MCAT score is high which shows that they're capable of taking that class anywhere.

I'm in this thread because currently, my GPA is about a 2.96c and science- is about a s-2.6. Do I have a shot at this? Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should do and where I should start? I could probably bring up the cumulative by the time I graduate but it still won't change the science GPA.
I did a combination of UC extension courses and CC courses to get my pre-reqs done. CC is fine, but you do want to make sure you do well, so that it doesn't look like you went to an easier environment and couldn't cut it. It's a dumb stigma that CC is easier, because my CC sciences courses were more difficult that some of my UC extension ones, but it persists. The only hangup that you might fall into is biochem, some CCs don't offer it and some that do offer it as an "intro to biochem" course that doesn't count for what some medical schools are looking for.

That sounds good. Have you done the math as to where that would get your gpa? What are your MCAT plans?

Thank you for replying me.
I already calculated my sGPA with all my retakes. It's going down to 2.5. For MCAT plan, I am going to study soon and going to take around Feb 2018 for June 2018 application cycle.

Does it sound good?

Thank you for replying me.
I already calculated my sGPA with all my retakes. It's going down to 2.5. For MCAT plan, I am going to study soon and going to take around Feb 2018 for June 2018 application cycle.

Does it sound good?
I think my biggest advice is to not under estimate the mcat. With a low gpa, a strong mcat is even more important. It looks like you may have a heavy schedule next year, so don't be afraid to postpone the mcat until later in the spring if things aren't going as well as you need. I under estimated it and ended up postponing from april to june and it was absolutely the right decision for me.

Reactions: 2 users
I think my biggest advice is to not under estimate the mcat. With a low gpa, a strong mcat is even more important. It looks like you may have a heavy schedule next year, so don't be afraid to postpone the mcat until later in the spring if things aren't going as well as you need. I under estimated it and ended up postponing from april to june and it was absolutely the right decision for me.

Thank you. Roger that

I did a combination of UC extension courses and CC courses to get my pre-reqs done. CC is fine, but you do want to make sure you do well, so that it doesn't look like you went to an easier environment and couldn't cut it. It's a dumb stigma that CC is easier, because my CC sciences courses were more difficult that some of my UC extension ones, but it persists. The only hangup that you might fall into is biochem, some CCs don't offer it and some that do offer it as an "intro to biochem" course that doesn't count for what some medical schools are looking for.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it. The thing about UC extension courses is the cost. Will I still get financial aid for it since I'm finished with my undergrad? I don't mind taking it elsewhere other than CC- it's just I feel like that is the cheapest option that provides me with the majority of the prereqs that I need- aside from Biochem like you said!

My undergraduate gpa was less than 3.0. Not even close to a 3.0. My transcript had as many red flags as there can be. I'm currently an MD student at a good US school.

I had a ton of research and experience. I had great letters but most were from MD's and not undergrad professors. I applied to 93 medical schools. I cashed in all the favors. Also- I make a good impression in person.
Good afternoon, I'm lurker who just came across your story. Mind sharing a little more?

Sent from my R1 HD using SDN mobile

Thank you so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it. The thing about UC extension courses is the cost. Will I still get financial aid for it since I'm finished with my undergrad? I don't mind taking it elsewhere other than CC- it's just I feel like that is the cheapest option that provides me with the majority of the prereqs that I need- aside from Biochem like you said!
Yea, UC extension isn't cheap, but I thought it was reasonable compared to some of the other university level options I looked into(like for example UC Berkeley extension was cheaper than SFSU open university courses on a course by course basis). You won't get financial aid for extension either way, I think the only way to get it after graduating is to do a one year formal program, but since you are a bio major you don't need the extra courses. I put off my graduation and took the minimum courses online at my university while taking the max financial aid possible, using the refund for part of my extension courses and saved by living at home. I also had savings from working when I was younger that I completely drained. This is not a cheap process no matter how you look at it. Since you have to do ochem still, I'd get started with that and then evaluate your options for taking biochem and paying for it.

Good afternoon, I'm lurker who just came across your story. Mind sharing a little more?

Sent from my R1 HD using SDN mobile

What would you like to know? I had all the bad stuff going against me and all the good stuff going for me. I have a very good CV.

What would you like to know? I had all the bad stuff going against me and all the good stuff going for me. I have a very good CV.
If you don't mind sharing, can you state what the strong points in your application were and what the weak points were?
You stated that you applied to as many as 93 schools, what surprising schools did you receive interviews from, and how many schools did you receive interviews from. Did you do a post-baccalaureate program to enhance your application?

Thank you.

Does anyone know if 515+ is still considered a strong mcat especially for those with a low gpa? Or does it more rotate with the percentile you fall into that year?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

If you don't mind sharing, can you state what the strong points in your application were and what the weak points were?
You stated that you applied to as many as 93 schools, what surprising schools did you receive interviews from, and how many schools did you receive interviews from. Did you do a post-baccalaureate program to enhance your application?

Thank you.

Weaknesses: undergraduate gpa, unbalanced MCAT (93rd percentile in one section, lower than average in others, very avg total score).

Strengths: healthcare related Volunteer work, research (very different types), strong letters of recc, a long record of interest in health sciences, lots and lots of leadership roles, publications, good communication skills and good in person impression. And good bone structure ;)

Edit: and good graduate gpa and a long record of challenging coursework that I had handled well towards the end of school. Positive improvement.
Also, I'm about 6 years older than the avg med school applicant- I actually think that helped.

Does anyone know if 515+ is still considered a strong mcat especially for those with a low gpa? Or does it more rotate with the percentile you fall into that year?

515+ would be great. Higher is obviously better, but I'd say 510+ is fine, higher than that is going to have diminishing returns, and time would be better spent getting ECs or high grades in recent coursework. I had 513 and that was ~90th percentile.

It's been 2 years since I first posted on this thread. I initially started off with a 3.0x cGPA, happy to say that I managed to get it up to 3.2x thus far. Still a year away till I start application process, but definitely keep up the good work guys!!!

Reactions: 7 users
515+ would be great. Higher is obviously better, but I'd say 510+ is fine, higher than that is going to have diminishing returns, and time would be better spent getting ECs or high grades in recent coursework. I had 513 and that was ~90th percentile.

Thanks that's helpful but to know. I am probably a year from taking the mcat. I want to get a few more retakes under my belt before I take a full length practice.

Signed up for post bac classes for fall yesterday! Super excited to be finally on my way.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
I thought I would drop in to post about my progress. I am currently taking pist bacc classes as my schedule allows and have so far been only making B's. I've taken A & P I and II, Microbiology and Astronomy. I took a break in the fall due to personal issues with family that came up and came back to taking classes tbis spring. I had previously wanted to take. o Chem I a third time (took it 6 years ago) to prepare for retaking O Chem II but that didn't work out. I think I shot myself in the foot and am now struggling with my O Chem 2 retake. I am not sure that I will get higher than a C but it depends on how he curves his grades. I am looking beginning to study for the final this weekend. I know I otherwise still have a lot of work to do and really need to be making A's. I'm working on changing up my study habits more so that that happens. If anyone has any input or advice its greatly appreciated. My plan is to keeping work hard and be persistent in making A's and in my past bacc classes.

First of all, this thread is awesome.

I need some advice....

I've been accepted to a few SMPs (LMU-DCOM, WCU-COM, Tulane, and Mercer), and trying to decide when to apply to medical school, and still which SMP to attend.

My stats are really low. I graduated in 2014 with an upward trending cGPA 2.85, sGPA 3.0, MCAT 500, so an SMP is my only ticket into school so I really need to choose wisely. Additionally, I have 300+ hours volunteering, 2.5 years as an ER scribe during undergrad, and 1.5 years of productive cardiology/pulmonology research at Vanderbilt post-grad (1 first author and 2 co-author publications, and a dozen abstracts presented at international conferences).

Should I apply early this cycle and note that I am enrolled in an SMP, then attempt to persuade schools not to autoscreen my application? Or am I going to have to wait for next year's application cycle?

As far as deciding between schools.... The LMU-DCOM program offers guaranteed interview if you have >3.0 GPA during the fall semester, but I'm afraid other medical schools will want to see an entire year of grades. Thus, pushing everything back a year. Tulane's program has a good track record of graduates gaining admission into medical school, but honestly my stats are too low for any MD school.

Ultimately I'm trying to decide between Tulane and LMU-DCOM.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Send a PM to Stagg737-did Tulane's program and can fill you in more. Then you can message Gordon Gekko-did LMU-DCOM's program.

Even with fall grades alone, I received more than enough interviews and several acceptances until I called it good. Strong fall grade performance can help a ton!

I have a whole lot of MCAT advice I'd be happy to pass along, but as a starter, eccesignum is EXACTLY correct. Take a cold MCAT to get a baseline. I improved 8 points (if i remember correctly) from my baseline to my actual score, in about 3 months, while working a career level full time job. I know I could have got at least a couple points higher if I was able to dedicate myself to the exam, but simply I couldn't, and I knew it and was okay with it. I have a whole speech about why I personally think prep classes are a good thing - and it has very little to do with content. I can't remember which thread I posted it in yesterday, but I can go find it and cross post it later.

@SkiBum8 the only reason I mentioned that was that was the advice I was given from pretty much everyone. From premed advisors, to the dean of admission at UW, to some of the adcoms on here. I did 1-2 classes for almost my entire time, and everyone I've talked to said basically "while we know you are working full time and going to school, that's simply not the same as a higher course load"....so I think I had one or two quarters with a larger load. Obviously all of this is a touch n=1 and he said/she said, but that was by far one of the most agreed upon pieces of advice I had been given

Regarding your course load with full time work (I am doing this right now, with 1 class per quarter): There were quarters when you were taking 2 science courses alongside full time work, I take it. Did the adcoms want you to take 3+ courses per quarter alongside full time work? Or did you drop the full time work for that? I know that 3 + full time work would be most convincing to adcoms, but is that what you did? What types of courses? community college or university? It seems like you're in the Seattle area... did you manage to take non-matriculant courses at UW Seattle? Seems very tough, and last-minute to set up.

Send a PM to Stagg737-did Tulane's program and can fill you in more. Then you can message Gordon Gekko-did LMU-DCOM's program.

Even with fall grades alone, I received more than enough interviews and several acceptances until I called it good. Strong fall grade performance can help a ton!

Thanks, I'll PM them. So you think even with my stats, as long as I crush the fall semester of my SMP I'll still have chance at matriculating in 2018?/ Should I apply this cycle?

Thanks, I'll PM them. So you think even with my stats, as long as I crush the fall semester of my SMP I'll still have chance at matriculating in 2018?/ Should I apply this cycle?

That is a tough call. You cgpa being below a 3.0 isn't helping, even with an upward trend you really need to get that above a 3.0. Many schools will pre-screen your application out.

That is a tough call. You cgpa being below a 3.0 isn't helping, even with an upward trend you really need to get that above a 3.0. Many schools will pre-screen your application out.

YeahI know, that really hurts my chances. The SMP is my only shot, which is why I really like the guaranteed interview at LMU.

Is it possible to email the individual schools to prevent pre-screening? Or just apply to schools that don't pre-screen?

I figured it out. I am going to stick to my post-bac plan and avoid any smps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Cheaper & less risky. Might take a bit longer, but also gives you time to participate in other experiences. I think this is often the right choice.

Hey question Do you have a list of schools that doesn't pre-screen out people or will you be attempting to email or otherwise contact the adcoms directly? Also are you targeting MD or DO? We seem to be in similar situations but I didn't even consider an SMP. There are none in my area and I financially cannot move to try an SMP when honestly I need to focus on revisiting the pre-req material.

@parslea
Thanks for keeping me grounded on the post-bac route. This is a long journey.

Hey jujak04,

No, I don't have a list but I will certainly do some research. I have a low 3.oish GPA and I really want to speed the process of getting into medical school. However, I realize that it is better to have patience and continue to build a solid app when the time comes to apply. There will certainly be more medicals schools when that time comes. Where are you at in this process?

@parslea
Thanks for keeping me grounded on the post-bac route. This is a long journey.

Hey jujak04,

No, I don't have a list but I will certainly do some research. I have a low 3.oish GPA and I really want to speed the process of getting into medical school. However, I realize that it is better to have patience and continue to build a solid app when the time comes to apply. There will certainly be more medicals schools when that time comes. Where are you at in this process?
Oh my bad I thought you said you were sub 3.0cGPA.
I started a diy post-bac this past spring. I took 1 course so far and am doing well. I haven't signed up for summer classes yet mainly cause the place I was taking them didn't have anything I needed available for evening classes. My situation is kind of because I work during the day in biotechnology so I need evening or online classes (my local uni doesn't have evening science courses). But a lot of schools don't accept online science classes. I am planning to take the MCAT next fall targeting the 2020 app cycle. I wanted to go for 2019 but I think I'll be shooting myself in the foot with that. I've been out of school for 9yrs I think I need to ease myself back into this full time so business

Easing your way back into the classroom is a smart idea. I currently work in the Operating Room department as an aide. I work 5 days a week in the day time so I am restricted just like you to only evening classes. I am trying to see if I can convince my supervisor if I can leave early to take a certain class. Transcript repair/post-bac can be a drawn out process when life/bills get in the way. I don't know what your financial situation is like but you might want to find a job that offers more flexibility so you can take more classes. I am looking for a job myself that offers that.

I did for about a year before starting. I was looking for second or 3rd shift position to take classes. Everything would have been too much of a pay cut to even consider. I live in kind of a STEM desert for there jobs. However, I did talk to my current supervisor about my future plans and that I am in the process of retaking these classes to go to med school and my supervisor is 100% on board. I'm also salaried so as long as I get my 40hrs min and don't miss experiments I'm fine. But I'm still limited just because of how labs and classes are scheduled where I live. I've looked up to an hour outside of the metro area I live in for classes and only this past spring semester did even my community college have biology at night. If it happens again I'll have to see if I can find a 3pm or 4pm class until I finish the basics that require labs. But that might be a stretch. My company is going thru a merger right now so I'm not in the position to ask for much.

I couldn't find the post but how many are you taking for your schedule? I think working full-time 3 might be my max once I'm settled back into studying.

YeahI know, that really hurts my chances. The SMP is my only shot, which is why I really like the guaranteed interview at LMU.

Is it possible to email the individual schools to prevent pre-screening? Or just apply to schools that don't pre-screen?

That is another tough call.

You'll have to contact each individual school to find out if they'll place your app on hold until your fall grades are released so you dont get an automatic rejection.

Basically what I had to do, submit my primary in the summer to all the schools I thought I had a decent chance at, received their secondaries, and then submitted the secondaries (along with my fall grades) in the winter. It was risky but it worked out. It prevented me from getting an automatic rejection because the schools now had my fall SMP grades to use to evaluate me