Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If your sibling really want to be a doctor, your sibling should get on SDN and start pursing its vast body of GPA repair literature; which is a much easier hill for D.O. There is a ton of good advice archived here but they have to put in the work.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Including but not limited to:

-Retaking at Community College
- DIY post-bac
- SMP

Anything else besides these? I've lurked quite a lot. Saw the post and decided to ask. No harm done.

Members don't see this ad.

Including but not limited to:

-Retaking at Community College
- DIY post-bac
- SMP

Anything else besides these? I've lurked quite a lot. Saw the post and decided to ask. No harm done.

1. What passes for consensus is do not do retakes at a community college for GPA repair, especially if the original GPA, particularly in prerequisite courses, was earned at a four year university.
2. DIY post bacc is fine
3. SMP is a gamble and may not be necessary if going D.O. with a strong performance in prerequisites and upper division science courses
4. None of the above matters if that MCAT score doesn't improve significantly
5. Ummm harm no foul but the question becomes, why are you lurking and not your sibling? You can't do the work for them. But if you are going to lurk then you should really check out post from Dr.Midlife. Their post will give you an idea of what your sibling is trying to attempt and an a idea of all that it will take to get there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
http://www-forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?posts/11962964/

Check the responses from Dr.Midlife in this thread.

I 100% agree with what Dr.Midlife said in that post! I graduated college with a 3.0c/2.95s GPA, and did an SMP. Let me tell you - NOT the place to figure out how to get As in science courses.

So walking away from that program with an even worse GPA than when I started, I got a job in an entirely non-healthcare related field (still science). It was through five years of working and building a true career, that I figured out the pieces of how to succeed, and by association, get As in science courses. I've since retaken Orgo II and UL Genetics as well as BioChem for the first time and made all As.

I'm sure this mark of academic improvement was essential to my application, but to Dr.Midlife's point, the courses came AFTER I figured out the pieces I needed to succeed.

Trust me, I know from experience, that an SMP is not the place to try your hand at getting straight As for the first time...

Reactions: 6 users
Bumping this thread for old times sake

My Genetics class is almost over. Current grade avg is an 89.67 lol. I'm going to take my B and kill next semester.

Bumping this thread for old times sake

My Genetics class is almost over. Current grade avg is an 89.67 lol. I'm going to take my B and kill next semester.

There is a chance you might pull out an A- or even an A depending of your school's scale. Assuming you do well on the final and/or there is a curve and you're riding above it.

@WGSgrad

Thanks for giving me a little hope. The prof hasn't entered the grades for the lab report and lab practical exam so my grade might be a little lower than that. An 80-89.9 is a B. 90-100 is an A. Working full-time while taking only two science classes is hard enough for me. I don't know how you guys do work and school while pulling A's. You guys deserve a lot of praise.

@WGSgrad

Thanks for giving me a little hope. The prof hasn't entered the grades for the lab report and lab practical exam so my grade might be a little lower than that. An 80-89.9 is a B. 90-100 is an A. Working full-time while taking only two science classes is hard enough for me. I don't know how you guys do work and school while pulling A's. You guys deserve a lot of praise.

We're in the same boat. I also work full time in a hospital (pulling 12 hr shifts at a time) while taking two science classes this semester. I'm currently breaking from studying for my Biochemistry final. It's definitely challenging!

Reactions: 1 user
Edited: I'm keeping my or job. I am seeing a ton of good stuff.

Last edited:
Oh man I love these threads. Graduated about a year ago in electrical engineering (cGPA: 3.0 sGPA: 3.4). My school is well known for grade deflation, but my grades are mostly my fault. Had a pretty demeaning job in electronics manufacturing before getting laid off. Chose what I thought was the easier path to success, but graduated in some pretty shaky economic times with a sub-par GPA. Now I begin my redemption story. I'll be starting some post-bacc coursework in the spring; thankfully I've done quite well in non-engineering BCPM courses, so after a few semesters my sGPA should be upwards of 3.6-3.7. I hope to add my success to the low GPA success thread in the coming couple years. Keep plugging away, my friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an A in genetics!!! Very tough class.

Reactions: 11 users
I just got accepted to medical school! I started this process with a 2.37 cGPA and ended with an AACOMAS cGPA of 2.98. I'll update this more later but just wanted to share the news with you guys!

Edit: I just posted more details in another thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I just got accepted to medical school! I started this process with a 2.37 cGPA and ended with an AACOMAS cGPA of 2.98. I'll update this more later but just wanted to share the news with you guys!

I am planning on graduating next semester and I'm currently sitting at a 2.65 GPA and I'm looking at post-bacc programs. Really curious to see where you got accepted! Congrats!

I am planning on graduating next semester and I'm currently sitting at a 2.65 GPA and I'm looking at post-bacc programs. Really curious to see where you got accepted! Congrats!

I got into AZCOM!

Reactions: 4 users
just finished my first semester at an smp connected with a medical school. it was extremely challenging, but at the same time very rewarding. I earned above a 3.5 gpa. So now I've updated aacomas and am hoping some schools show me some love with interviews. I don't know what else to do at this point.

I learned a lot, but also importantly learned how to study more efficiently with such huge volume.

The smp has instilled a lot of confidence in me, and I know I now can handle medical school, but I know at the same time it will be more challenging.

Reactions: 5 users
@MajorUnderDog

I am so happy to hear from you and your success so far in your SMP! Hey man, you definitely need to write a lengthy post about all the adversities you had to overcome once have an acceptance to medical school. Keep up the good work!

@MajorUnderDog

I am so happy to hear from you and your success so far in your SMP! Hey man, you definitely need to write a lengthy post about all the adversities you had to overcome once have an acceptance to medical school. Keep up the good work!

thank you!

For sure I will. Once I earn that acceptance I will write up a post that I hope will help and inspire others.

Reactions: 2 users
Figuring out my class schedule for next quarter, let me know what you guys think...

Biological Approaches to Medical Anthropology (4 units)
Early Evolution of Hominids (4 units)
Intro to Archaeology (5 units)
Human Embryology (4 units)
Calculus I (4 units)

I guess you could consider this to be my first 'serious quarter' since transferring to a UC (anthropology major). Too many units? Should I take out the Human Embryology? (Not a major requirement)..
Is 21 units doable?

It's a very doable schedule. Calculus is all about conceptualizing and solving problems. Embryology is all about the process. Be prepared to read, visualize, and draw, because it will be very annoying without it. Chances are you'll be using Larman's or Gilbert's. (Got A in S-178 at a school in Boston).

Need some advice. Which is better to do if I want to try for MD?
1. Should I keep retaking my C's
2. Should I take only upper-level science classes to show adcoms I can get A's in new/challenging courses

Last edited:
2. Should I take only upper-level science classes to show adcoms I can get A's in new/challenging courses

You should contact one of the admins that post on the forums in a PM. They are all pretty generous with their time and you might get a response that it more specific to your situation. Just keep it brief and direct.

I'll second the advice to contact adcoms, but in my opinion, it would be a lot more valuable for your to take upper-level science classes and do well. For MD, both methods will count the same towards improving your GPA and retaking Cs only shows them that you can get a better grade in a course that you already passed, vs learning new information and showing that you have developed those study skills.

I second that - unless you are going to also apply DO because of grade replacement. I would use one of the available calculators, figure out your GPA's, and make an informed decision on MD/+DO, and then chose from there depending on the route you are going to go. Don't be too quick to discount DO, and ask yourself, do a couple of initials matter more than being a doctor (yes there are some drawbacks to DO vs MD but they are much smaller than the perceived stigma), and be honest in how you assess your chances at MD. Given that you are posting in this thread, I would say applying MD only would be a poor decision - and thus changes the retake or upper level class question.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Geesh, just heard about the AACOMAS decision to remove grade replacement. Any thoughts? Stay strong guys!

Yeah, it really sucks. My amcas GPA is now a little higher than my AACOMAS GPA since grade replacement is gone now

Now that there is no DO grade replacement option, I have no idea where to go from here. None whatsoever. Just came from another thread where people are saying "the only people who will really be affected are those with really low gpas" Well yes. I am one of those people. I am very deep in the GPA hole and was grateful to have an option that would allow me to achieve my dream. Another # of years at my age to get to a 3.0 and hopefully get into med school? I can't think clearly right now. I am so upset.

Now that there is no DO grade replacement option, I have no idea where to go from here. None whatsoever. Just came from another thread where people are saying "the only people who will really be affected are those with really low gpas" Well yes. I am one of those people. I am very deep in the GPA hole and was grateful to have an option that would allow me to achieve my dream. Another # of years at my age to get to a 3.0 and hopefully get into med school? I can't think clearly right now. I am so upset.

First thing, Take some deep breaths and find some calm. Everything is going to work out just fine.

Next thing is to work the problem. Ok so AACOMAS is getting rid of grade replacement. Its horrible but it is what it is and Will have to move forward. So how do we work the problem? Ok so it will be imperative to get as many As as possible to get your undergrad gpa as high as possible. Once you meet the minimum gpa requirement then there are plenty of SMPs and Post-Bach programs the that you can apply to. These will give you a new separate gpa and will allow you to prove yourself.

There are plenty of SMPs that are connected to a med school and as long as you meet their requirements once in the program, then you will be good to go.

The next thing will be scoring as well as you can on the MCAT. Respect the MCAT and take plenty of time to study for it. A high MCAT score can make up for a lot.

I really think with a solid performance in a post-bach/SMP program along with a strong mcat score will land you many interviews and acceptances. The fight isn't over until you say it is. I promise you that all is not lost.

Reactions: 3 users
The next thing will be scoring as well as you can on the MCAT. Respect the MCAT and take plenty of time to study for it. A high MCAT score can make up for a lot.

I really think with a solid performance in a post-bach/SMP program along with a strong mcat score will land you many interviews and acceptances. The fight isn't over until you say it is. I promise you that all is not lost.

I cannot agree with this statement enough. I haven't talked about it much on here, in part because I am ashamed of it, but I applied with a 3.0 cGPA, and a ~1.5 gGPA.... yes that starts with a one. I enrolled in an SMP right out of college and had NO IDEA what I was doing.

So I did terribly.

Five years later, after working a FT job, and volunteering in healthcare, I decided I wanted this. Since my MCAT was the biggest unknown variable in this whole process (I'd never taken it before), I put my ALL into getting a score that I felt demonstrated my abilities.

So I studied my butt off and scored a 518 (97th%) on the MCAT and have since gotten multiple interviews, and an acceptance to an Allopathic school. ALL with a ~1.5 gGPA (yikes!).

My point in telling you this is you DO NOT need grade replacement to get in. As long as you clear the GPA cutoffs, to @MajorUnderDog's point, a solid MCAT will make up for a lot. A LOT. Like 1.5gGPA lot.

I applied and was accepted with an AACOMAS cGPA of ~2.7. Grade Replacement be damned.

So don't lose hope. There is still a path to acceptance for us low-GPA folks, it just travels through the MCAT now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
I cannot agree with this statement enough. I haven't talked about it much on here, in part because I am ashamed of it, but I applied with a 3.0 cGPA, and a ~1.5 gGPA.... yes that starts with a one. I enrolled in an SMP right out of college and had NO IDEA what I was doing.

So I did terribly.

Five years later, after working a FT job, and volunteering in healthcare, I decided I wanted this. Since my MCAT was the biggest unknown variable in this whole process (I'd never taken it before), I put my ALL into getting a score that I felt demonstrated my abilities.

So I studied my butt off and scored a 518 (97th%) on the MCAT and have since gotten multiple interviews, and an acceptance to an Allopathic school. ALL with a ~1.5 gGPA (yikes!).

My point in telling you this, is you DO NOT need grade replacement to get in. As long as you clear the GPA cutoffs, to @MajorUnderDog's point, a solid MCAT will make up for a lot. I applied, and was accepted, with an AACOMAS cGPA of ~2.7, Grade Replacement be damned.

So don't lose hope. There is still a path to acceptance for us low-GPA folks, it just travels through the MCAT now.

So awesome! Thank you so much for sharing.

The only issue I have with this is the announcement of it 5 months before the cycle starts. People have been planning around the current policy and spending thousands of dollars with it in mind. They should have at least phased it in over 2 years, over even 1 - people would still be pissed but that's better than nothing.

So I did terribly.

My point in telling you this, is you DO NOT need grade replacement to get in. As long as you clear the GPA cutoffs, to @MajorUnderDog's point, a solid MCAT will make up for a lot. I applied, and was accepted, with an AACOMAS cGPA of ~2.7, Grade Replacement be damned.

Thank man and congratulations on your accomplishments!!! I wish I could like your post 1000x.

The only issue I have with this is the announcement of it 5 months before the cycle starts. People have been planning around the current policy and spending thousands of dollars with it in mind. They should have at least phased it in over 2 years, over even 1 - people would still be pissed but that's better than nothing.

I agree completely.

Thank you for this message Major
It wasn't a good day but words of reason helped. It's a confusing time because on one hand, I know I'm willing to continue putting in the work but there are threads popping up with opinions telling people like me we need to give up and do something else. It's not like I was advertising my plans anyway but it sucks to come on here and see it.

Such is life. Time to get back to work.

First thing, Take some deep breaths and find some calm. Everything is going to work out just fine.

Next thing is to work the problem. Ok so AACOMAS is getting rid of grade replacement. Its horrible but it is what it is and Will have to move forward. So how do we work the problem? Ok so it will be imperative to get as many As as possible to get your undergrad gpa as high as possible. Once you meet the minimum gpa requirement then there are plenty of SMPs and Post-Bach programs the that you can apply to. These will give you a new separate gpa and will allow you to prove yourself.

There are plenty of SMPs that are connected to a med school and as long as you meet their requirements once in the program, then you will be good to go.

Thank you for this message Major
It wasn't a good day but words of reason helped. It's a confusing time because on one hand, I know I'm willing to continue putting in the work but there are threads popping up with opinions telling people like me we need to give up and do something else. It's not like I was advertising my plans anyway but it sucks to come on here and see it.

Such is life. Time to get back to work.

SDN is sometimes an awful place full of gunners - especially in the allo forum. Numerous people from advisors, to adcoms, to consults/tutors I know all recommend taking almost everything on here with a huge grain of salt or staying off it completely (multiple people refer to it as "that website that shall not be named". Think of what the average SDNer is in those forums is; 18-22 years old, over competitive, type A (why they are on here), gunner. People love shooting down others dreams and making themselves feel better.

With that said, as long as you are realistic with your goals and base it on factual information (not n=1, I heard, my cousin, etc), there is almost no one that is completely irredeemable and doesn't have a shot. Barring legal issues, almost all academic issues can be overcame - it's just a matter of how much/hard you have to prove yourself. This thread is a testament to that.

Some of you know me from this thread and others -- I came back from a 2.7 and a senior-year dropout fifteen years ago and am now an MD MS1 largely thanks to SDN guidance, so this forum (and threads like this) are near and dear to me.

I couldn't do DO grade replacement due to my failed classes mostly being highly specialized; they didn't exist at the university where I eventually went back and re-did an entire bachelor's from ground up. But I had always appreciated the grade replacement path and felt it was terrific that people had that chance, even if I couldn't use it myself. My heart goes out to people now finding themselves in such a rough spot, especially those who've spent time and money retaking courses.

It's not impossible to get to medical school without grade replacement, I'm living proof of that. Obviously there are going to be different factors at play for everyone. One person's positive outcome isn't solely based on one thing they did, and isn't a guarantee that a given path will work for everyone. I can't just say Oh, just work hard and it'll all be fine! to everyone, as that would be dishonest. But know I support everyone in here and please believe me when I say that for many it can still be done.

While GPA and MCAT are certainly important and are their own hurdle to clear, from experience I firmly believe that the writing you do in your application is a vastly underrated piece of the admissions process -- especially for people like us. Your numbers can only tell a part of the story; remember adcoms are looking for more than people who can handle the coursework, they're looking for people who will make good doctors, and there's definitely a Venn diagram there. Being able to present a coherent story of yourself and your passion on paper is so important.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop this line of support in here, and if I can lend a hand anywhere to anyone just let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
So fellas is academic probation considered an IA? I assume many people here may have been placed on it at some point. Other than academic probation I've had no IAs but I have 4 or 5 semester on academic probation.

Yes it is, and you have to report it (is my understanding and what I followed)

I haven't posted in a while but wanted to drop in to update where I am at with class retakes. I started doing post-bach work during the fall of 2015. Here is how it's going far:

Fall 2015: A&P I, 4 credits B

Spring 2016: A&P II, 4 credits B

Summer 2016: Medical Ethics, 3 credits A, Microbiology, 5 credits B

So far, it's mostly been B's. I know I need to start making more A's. I took a break this past fall to work more hours and save more and get more volunteer and shadowing hours in. This spring, I'm looking at retaking O Chem II. It's been five years since I last took O Chem I and I've been reviewing the material slowly. It's been coming back pretty well so I'm feeling hopeful for this year.

@Violagirl

Are you retaking C's? If so, DO schools/AACOMAS has phased out the grade replacement policy (to start on May 1st, 2017). I would take more upper-level science courses and get A's.

@Shotapp

Up to this point in time, I have been. That is otherwise good to know. I will look at taking more upper-level science courses then starting in the summer now that I am aware of this change.

It's unfortunate how aacomas announced this policy change because I was affected as well. I am registered this semester for Immunology (new for me) and biochemistry (retake and it's important for the mcat).

It is very unfortunate and I wish that they would have given it more time if they were going to change this policy. If they had made it so that the grade replacement policy was in effect for another two years before phasing it out, I would have been set but I'm going to need to expand the time that I spend taking classes to get my GPA up more now.

@Violagirl

Us underdawgs can't ever give up or surrender just because of this bump in the road. I might apply in 2018 or 2019. What year do you think you will be able to apply?

DrBelle is correct, the students who will be most affected by this change are students who had/have very, very low GPAs (<2.5). If the highly skewed population that post on SDN can be used as a representative sample of anything, I would suggest that most people with very low GPAs, low GPAs, and GPAs that are only low in context of medical school admissions (ala 3.5), generally just do post-bacc course work and apply MD or apply to both DO and MD programs. Thus, from a recruiting perspective, it doesn't seem like much really changes much for most D.O. schools except the additional diversity that students with these types of backgrounds often add (life experience, perspective, age, etc.).

I think what concerns me, is that for a lot of reasons, many of the students who happen to have low GPAs may also be vulnerable to offshore programs that may be more expensive and not necessarily contribute the same number of resources to ensuring their students success. This is not to say that students can't be successful as IMGs, but it seems like that path has a lot of challenges, challenges that are made even more complex by many students non-traditional status (partners, children, stage in life, finances, etc.).

I retook a few classes bc I needed to get a better foundation in math. Also, I wanted to retake it, not just for the grade replacement, but to overcome my previous failure. Because I am just starting my UG, I am not in the position to be taking upper level science courses just yet. I'm not sure if my post is actually valid for this thread. I just felt like putting some input. :)

Hey guys.

I wanted to post here quick to see if I can obtain some advice and perhaps maybe some confidence. I am planning to apply to medical schools in the beginning of June, and today I decided that I should probably get on calculating my cGPA and sGPA AAMC-style for the first time. I knew that I would have to submit transcripts from all colleges attended, but little did I know that back in 2005 - 2007, when I was fresh out of high school and attending a community college for forensic investigations/criminal justice, I never WITHDREW from a couple of semesters, resulting in multiple F's. I have spent the entirety of my night shaking and calculating GPAs, and it turns out that I have an allotherGPA of 2.43, a sGPA of 3.54, and a cGPA of 3.09. I have one semester left of my Bachelor's degree in Neuroscience. Here are my stats currently:

I have a 3.90 GPA from my current college (I've been here for 2 academic years: 2015-16 and 2016-17). I have two interviews for a position as an AmeriCorps VISTA member for my gap year (2017-2018), which hopefully I will be chosen for at least one. I will be taking the MCAT in May, which I hope/expect to get an above-average score on (thinking in terms of current academic ability/grades). Last 6 years or so of relevant coursework (2010-2016):

Basic Math Skills - A
Intro General Psychology - A
Essentials Chemistry 1 - A
Essentials Chemistry 2 - B
Anatomy & Physiology 1 - A
Elementary Statistics - A
Medical Terminology - A
General Biology 1 - A
Anatomy & Physiology 2 - A
Intermediate Mathematics - A
Practicum in Human Dissection - A
History of Civilization 1 - B
History of Civilization 2 - D
Microbiology - C
College Algebra & Trigonometry - C

Most Recent (2014-2016):
General Biology 2 - B
Precalculus - A
General Chemistry 1 - B
General Physics 1 - B
Abnormal Psychology - A
General Chemistry 2 - A
Introd Standard Biochemical Research/Biomedical Research Laboratory Research - A
Effective Speech - A
General Physics 2 - A
Research Methods 1 - A
Genetics - A
Histology - A
Organic Chemistry 1 - A
Cell Biology - A-
Practicum in Biology/Biomedical Research Laboratory Research - A
Organic Chemistry 2 - A
Calculus 1 - B
Select Topics: Autism - A
Research Methods 2 - A
Neuroscience - A
Endocrinology - A
Biochemistry 1 - A
Virology - A

I am hoping/expecting to receive an A in my upcoming and final courses this semester (Molecular Biology, Biochemistry 2, Basic Psychobiology, Senior Seminar: Stem Cells, and Senior Research). I thought I was in a good position going into the medical school admissions process, but as previously mentioned with my cGPA and sGPA just calculated today, I am not. My cGPA being lower than expected (and maybe even sGPA) are mostly due to this:

Fall 2005:

Intro Criminal Justice - C-
Criminal Substantive Law - B
English 1: College Writing - B
Freshman Seminar - A
Intro to Microsoft Word - C+
Intro Psychology - C-

Spring 2006:
Criminal Procedure Law - F
English 2: Intro to Literature - B
Elementary Algebra - F (which did NOT help my sGPA at all.... [repeated with an A])
Constitutional Law - F

Spring 2007:
Intro Private Security - F
Intro Sociology - B-

I'm sorry for being excessive; I just want to give the overall scope of my situation in detail. I am a returning student (29 years old). I am a recovering alcoholic approaching my 5 year (woohoo!!) anniversary of choosing sobriety. I checked myself into an inpatient rehabilitation facility on March 18th, 2012 (precisely because I knew that I would not be able to uphold the grades necessary to get into medical school). I have done a few semesters worth of molecular genetics research at biomedical research laboratory in my area. I was accepted twice into the same lab's Summer Fellowship program, where I again did molecular genetics research in the area of cardiac electrophysiology. I have presented posters and given presentations/talks at conferences/meetings. I have received multiple scholarships towards my tuition at my current college and have been on both the Dean's High Honor List and Dean's List for all of my semesters there. I am currently starting independent research on the disease known as interstitial cystitis, in a collaboration with a local urologist. I have volunteered as a Patient Advocate at a local hospital, I was previously employed as a Phlebotomist/Laboratory Assistant at the same hospital, and as previously mentioned, I will hopefully be an AmeriCorps VISTA member for the next year. My LORs should be great as well (I am assuming, yes, but I really do work hard in all of my courses).

So my question is to all of you (and also adcoms): What do you think here??? I am now overwhelmed with fear. I have been working so hard for the past 6 years (as I'm sure many of you can understand and resonate with). I had no idea that all of those F's from 10 years ago even existed, let alone counted against me. My premedical advisor is currently on sabbatical, but I know I have other professors that I can talk to about this once the spring semester commences. But honestly - I'm not even sure now if I can apply. Are there GPA cutoffs? I don't know how to proceed from here.. Any advice that you have would be welcomed and greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading all of this, and again I apologize for getting into the gory details. I'm just really scared at this point, and I don't know what to think of all of this. I'm so, SO worried about that cGPA.

Thanks guys. :unsure:

Last edited:
Hey guys.

I wanted to post here quick to see if I can obtain some advice and perhaps maybe some confidence. I am planning to apply to medical schools in the beginning of June, and today I decided that I should probably get on calculating my cGPA and sGPA AAMC-style for the first time. I knew that I would have to submit transcripts from all colleges attended, but little did I know that back in 2005 - 2007, when I was fresh out of high school and attending a community college for forensic investigations/criminal justice, I never WITHDREW from a couple of semesters, resulting in multiple F's. I have spent the entirety of my night shaking and calculating GPAs, and it turns out that I have an allotherGPA of 2.43, a sGPA of 3.54, and a cGPA of 3.09. I have one semester left of my Bachelor's degree in Neuroscience. Here are my stats currently:

I have a 3.90 GPA from my current college (I've been here for 2 academic years: 2015-16 and 2016-17). I have two interviews for a position as an AmeriCorps VISTA member for my gap year (2017-2018), which hopefully I will be chosen for at least one. I will be taking the MCAT in May, which I hope/expect to get an above-average score on (thinking in terms of current academic ability/grades). Last 6 years or so of relevant coursework (2010-2016):

Basic Math Skills - A
Intro General Psychology - A
Essentials Chemistry 1 - A
Essentials Chemistry 2 - B
Anatomy & Physiology 1 - A
Elementary Statistics - A
Medical Terminology - A
General Biology 1 - A
Anatomy & Physiology 2 - A
Intermediate Mathematics - A
Practicum in Human Dissection - A
History of Civilization 1 - B
History of Civilization 2 - D
Microbiology - C
College Algebra & Trigonometry - C

Most Recent (2014-2016):
General Biology 2 - B
Precalculus - A
General Chemistry 1 - B
General Physics 1 - B
Abnormal Psychology - A
General Chemistry 2 - A
Introd Standard Biochemical Research/Biomedical Research Laboratory Research - A
Effective Speech - A
General Physics 2 - A
Research Methods 1 - A
Genetics - A
Histology - A
Organic Chemistry 1 - A
Cell Biology - A-
Practicum in Biology/Biomedical Research Laboratory Research - A
Organic Chemistry 2 - A
Calculus 1 - B
Select Topics: Autism - A
Research Methods 2 - A
Neuroscience - A
Endocrinology - A
Biochemistry 1 - A
Virology - A

I am hoping/expecting to receive an A in my upcoming and final courses this semester (Molecular Biology, Biochemistry 2, Basic Psychobiology, Senior Seminar: Stem Cells, and Senior Research). I thought I was in a good position going into the medical school admissions process, but as previously mentioned with my cGPA and sGPA just calculated today, I am not. My cGPA being lower than expected (and maybe even sGPA) are mostly due to this:

Fall 2005:

Intro Criminal Justice - C-
Criminal Substantive Law - B
English 1: College Writing - B
Freshman Seminar - A
Intro to Microsoft Word - C+
Intro Psychology - C-

Spring 2006:
English 2: Intro to Literature - B
Elementary Algebra - F (which did NOT help my sGPA at all.... [repeated with an A])
Constitutional Law - F

Spring 2007:
Intro Sociology - B-

I'm sorry for being excessive; I just want to give the overall scope of my situation in detail. I am a returning student (29 years old). I am a recovering alcoholic approaching my 5 year (woohoo!!) anniversary of choosing sobriety. I checked myself into an inpatient rehabilitation facility on March 18th, 2012 (precisely because I knew that I would not be able to uphold the grades necessary to get into medical school). I have done a few semesters worth of molecular genetics research at biomedical research laboratory in my area. I was accepted twice into the same lab's Summer Fellowship program, where I again did molecular genetics research in the area of cardiac electrophysiology. I have presented posters and given presentations/talks at conferences/meetings. I have received multiple scholarships towards my tuition at my current college and have been on both the Dean's High Honor List and Dean's List for all of my semesters there. I am currently starting independent research on the disease known as interstitial cystitis, in a collaboration with a local urologist. I have volunteered as a Patient Advocate at a local hospital, I was previously employed as a Phlebotomist/Laboratory Assistant at the same hospital, and as previously mentioned, I will hopefully be an AmeriCorps VISTA member for the next year. My LORs should be great as well (I am assuming, yes, but I really do work hard in all of my courses).

So my question is to all of you (and also adcoms): What do you think here??? I am now overwhelmed with fear. I have been working so hard for the past 6 years (as I'm sure many of you can understand and resonate with). I had no idea that all of those F's from 10 years ago even existed, let alone counted against me. My premedical advisor is currently on sabbatical, but I know I have other professors that I can talk to about this once the spring semester commences. But honestly - I'm not even sure now if I can apply. Are there GPA cutoffs? I don't know how to proceed from here.. Any advice that you have would be welcomed and greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading all of this, and again I apologize for getting into the gory details. I'm just really scared at this point, and I don't know what to think of all of this. I'm so, SO worried about that cGPA.

Thanks guys. :unsure:

First and foremost, congratulations on your sobriety, my friend. Best to you.

You have something going for you that not all low-GPA comebacks do, and that's time. That there's ten years between you-then and you-now, with massive improvement in between, will greatly help you. Adcoms do understand that paths change, believe me, and what they will be looking for is that the you-now can handle the rigor of medical school without crumbling. I had a similar situation in which I basically failed half of junior and most of senior year back in 2001-2002. After an associate's degree and ten years in the workforce (I was also in Americorps VISTA for a year in '05 and after that was a registered nurse) when I made the decision to look into medical school, I remember the night that I calculated my GPA as well (I was literally sitting there with shaking hands, so I know exactly what you mean). Seeing what looked hopeless, I marched back to university in 2012 and did another bachelor's degree with a 3.9, same as you. My overall cumulative ended up a 3.2, sGPA of 3.85. but when I finally got to medical school interviews few people cared at all. At my very first interview I even started to explain my failures all that time ago and my interviewer stopped me and said, "That was fourteen years ago. We don't even need to talk about that."

So point being, with such a significant amount of time since a poor performance and such a stellar, sustained recent effort, a few doors here and there will close but there are places willing to give a reinventor a chance (both DO and MD). Some schools like Wayne State even have policies to only look at the past 25 or so hours of sGPA, precisely because people do change. My suggestion would be to look at those kind of schools that place significant emphasis on factors other than sheer numbers -- Wayne State as mentioned, Tulane, Miami, Boston, almost all DO schools to name a few (I can PM you a more complete list if you like). When you do write your application, your handling of your story and how you present yourself as a matured adult is going to be absolutely critical.

Generally, GPA "cutoff" is 3.0, which is considered the minimum to escape auto-screening. Assuming your calculations are correct you've at very least broken that, and it sounds like you have this semester's classes left to go which is good. It's also good (I mean not good but you know what I mean) that your failed courses from the Stone Age weren't science courses, so you have an sGPA that's alive on its own and fairly competitive -- last year's MD matriculants had a mean sGPA of 3.64. The C's in micro and algebra and that D in History aren't helping but they shouldn't kill you (nothing you can do about them, of course). There's no way to absolutely guarantee that your cycle would be successful, given that 60% of applicants including even perfect golden children do not get in each year, but from what I see I do believe you'd have a shot if you apply broadly and wisely.

You say you're taking the MCAT this May, but then say you're looking at joining AC VISTA for 2017-2018. Are you trying to apply to medical school this year or applying in '18? VISTA is rewarding but can be very hard on the finances, I can tell you as an alum. I'm sure you already know that, but you're not going to be saving any money during a VISTA year, and just advance warning an application cycle can be very expensive. Do you have any other significant volunteering (which you do need to have for an application)? If so, I would throw out there that it might be of benefit to consider continuing to take courses instead, particularly upper-level biology courses like immunology. You want to keep on putting as much academic distance between old you and new you, and with those more recent Cs and that D it might be to your benefit to keep mitigating those on paper as much as possible. Continuing to take classes will continue to buff your sGPA and give you something to update schools with when you receive new grades in the winter. As a graduated student they'll count as 'post-bacc' grades, which is fine. While taking those courses I would continue working, continue your research, and focus on establishing some sustained volunteering with a local organization (preferably volunteering that puts you face to face with other humans)

Also, have you shadowed doctors? This is another thing they'll be looking for in an application, and you need to have it. Multiple specialties, recommended 50-100 hours among them. If you're planning on applying DO (which I definitely would be if I were you) you must also have a LOR from a DO.