Being psychiatrist and gad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mert

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have generlized anxiety disorder for a couple of year. I can handle with it and i am a hardworking person. I am medical student and i have interest in psychiatry. But as a person with his own mental issues, is it a good idea to be a psychiatrist? I am a patient person, i like listening people and trying to find solutions. I also like neuroscience. However i have anxiety generally people think that i am relaxed because i dont show my symptoms to outside.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
I have generlized anxiety disorder for a couple of year. I can handle with it and i am a hardworking person. I am medical student and i have interest in psychiatry. But as a person with his own mental issues, is it a good idea to be a psychiatrist? I am a patient person, i like listening people and trying to find solutions. I also like neuroscience. However i have anxiety generally people think that i am relaxed because i dont show my symptoms to outside.

First off, hope you are getting a little SSRI for your anxiety... it really helps. Trust me, GAD is probably the least worrying mental health issue a psychiatry resident could have. I have met residents with SCPT, Bipolar, Borderline, OCD, etc... You will fine. I have a friend with panic disorder and GAD.... She takes Paxil and is super chill. She is probably the best psychiatrist I know. I myself have my own mental health issues, we all have stuff to find if we dig deep enough... So yes, probably a good fit since you are already thinking psychologically about yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
General Anxiety wont keep you from being a good psychiatrist. It might make it uncomfortable for you at times, have you feeling overwhelemed, might worry more about patients later in the week than you should, worry about what the attendings think of you more than you should. You should get evaluated by someone, in med school it is cheap or free. In residency, it should be almost free, but don't wait, get evaluated.

This really needs to be between you and your treatment providers and your trusted mentors. While I agree that a great number of people function well overall or with limited/no impairment in certain settings, the marker of all psychiatric diagnoses is distress/impairment in functioning. GAD is no exception, and it certainly can be quite limiting.

Reactions: 1 user
A large number of people suffer from some sort of mental illness (be it depression or GAD) and I think with the proper self care (medication, a way to relieve stress, therapy etc.) you will be fine. In my personal opinion/experience some of the best psychiatrists/psychologists are those who have suffered/currently dx themselves. They tend to view their patients as humans rather than their disorders. You will be great!