Being off cycle by a week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pisiform

Oh Crap!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How bad is it if I be off cycle by a week in starting residency? Would the residents and program director hate me? or put me under a microscope?

The thing even though I would complete my graduation requirement by 23rd June, and can attend orientation, I won't be able to get my med school diploma by June 30th. And license takes like 3-4 days in my state

I am just afraid of repercussion from the residency! I found out these details just now myself!

thanks if you could give any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

After two weeks no one will even remember it. No issues.

But make sure your program 100% knows that you won't be there for orientation or the first week.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I was just worried about starting on the wrong foot with them

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The way to make sure you start our correctly is to make sure they are fully informed. As long as they aren't surprised by this, it won't be a big deal.

There may even be rotations involving simulation or advocacy or self study or something like that doesn't involve patient contact that would allow you to start on time without a license.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
How bad is it if I be off cycle by a week in starting residency? Would the residents and program director hate me? or put me under a microscope?

The thing even though I would complete my graduation requirement by 23rd June, and can attend orientation, I won't be able to get my med school diploma by June 30th. And license takes like 3-4 days in my state

I am just afraid of repercussion from the residency! I found out these details just now myself!

Can you not get a training license prior to graduating in your state? In many states you can submit sufficient paperwork for this prior to graduating along with a letter of good standing from your school. I know this was the case for many of our classmates.

Also did they tell you you wouldn't get it until the 30th? I'd contact the registrar and see if you could get a scan of it or something prior to that if the delay is because of actually mailing you the diploma.

In any case, I agree with the others on here that it shouldn't be a problem if you tell everyone upfront about it. Most likely they can adjust your schedule so you can do a lot of other things that don't require a license during that first week or two.

I'm really confused by this. Your status is listed as Resident...but you're asking about starting residency off-cycle in 2 weeks. WTF?!

If you just updated your status early and matched this March, your first order of bidness after you opened your envelope/email on Match day should have been to email your new PD with this question.

If you're lying about your status and this is all in anticipation for next year, prepare for everyone to doubt/ignore pretty much everything you say going forward.

That's crazy. What school is waiting that long! They know you start July 1. That sucks

I took couple of weeks off for sickness and personal reason so making them up. I will still attend orientation on June ... and would have completed all graduation requirement by then, but won't have a diploma in hand till June.... So I would maybe a week or so late at most but will see.
I will ask for a letter saying I completed my graduation requirements but will officially graduate on June ... and then apply for license

Last edited:
You need that letter ASAP. Make sure your med school has it addressed to your state medical board, dated properly, on letterhead, with the appropriate language clearly stating you've graduated and have met all requirements for your degree. Your program needs that letter like yesterday so they can send it with your application.

I hate to say this, but most BoM's won't care about that. No MD/DO = You're not a doctor = No license. Feel free to try.

At my institution, I can't hire you until you have a license. So you couldn't even attend orientation. But that will be institution specific.

Reactions: 1 users
I hate to say this, but most BoM's won't care about that. No MD/DO = You're not a doctor = No license. Feel free to try.

At my institution, I can't hire you until you have a license. So you couldn't even attend orientation. But that will be institution specific.

My program hasn't said anything so far about this thing. Our orientation is mainly ACLS BLS, sim lab, suture lab, employee health exams etc. Contract I signed with the program is from July 1

My program hasn't said anything so far about this thing. Our orientation is mainly ACLS BLS, sim lab, suture lab, employee health exams etc. Contract I signed with the program is from July 1

You need to tell your program asap. I can't believe your program hasn't asked u for your degree bc they need that for your license as stated above.

You need to tell your program asap. I can't believe your program hasn't asked u for your degree bc they need that for your license as stated above.

I have told them already few days ago when I found out for myself. Anyways looks like all is good so far. Will find out the rest when I go

I'm really confused by this. Your status is listed as Resident...but you're asking about starting residency off-cycle in 2 weeks. WTF?!

If you just updated your status early and matched this March, your first order of bidness after you opened your envelope/email on Match day should have been to email your new PD with this question.

If you're lying about your status and this is all in anticipation for next year, prepare for everyone to doubt/ignore pretty much everything you say going forward.
upload_2017-6-17_15-51-32.jpeg