Being called "nurse" ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I spent some time in this one and the thing they don't actually do is show apples/apples comparison. I'm interested in seeing....what do pediatricians @ "x" school with the same years and publishing, and hours worked, and leadership, and continuity of career make? Find me a hospital paying women hospitalists less than men. Find surgical groups paying less rvus to female surgeons.

All this study shows is women overall make less. Which we all know is true in the physician universe. This doesn't prove less pay for the same work. In that study, the men were more likely to have a leadership title, more publications, more likely to be surgical, more likely to be in a higher paying specialty, work more hours per week. And all of this before the study mentions that men make salary a higher job selection priority, negotiate harder for raises, and are more likely to move for jobs.

If there is so much discrimination. Enough women getting paid less for the same work to account for even a 10% difference in pay for the same work......it should be child's play to produce a hundred examples of institutions/employers acting wrong.

I can't access the full article for the other study.

Reactions: 1 users
Try from a regular computer (non-phone). It's a free JAMA article and I was able to read it using my computer but not my phone. Not sure why that is, but hope it helps.
I'm not setting up an account with them to get full access....

Reactions: 1 user
I have no reason to lie. I click the link and see an abstract preview, i click full text and get told I need to register

Sorry man. Not sure why it isn't working for you. Maybe try a different browser or something. Says the same thing to me when I try to read on my phone but I can download the article from my computer. It says free article on it. If you want to PM me your email I will send it to you if you want.

Sorry man. Not sure why it isn't working for you. Maybe try a different browser or something. Says the same thing to me when I try to read on my phone but I can download the article from my computer. It says free article on it. If you want to PM me your email I will send it to you if you want.
Why don't we start by discussing the other study I commented on since we can both see it

Why don't we start by discussing the other study I commented on since we can both see it

I don't really have too much to add to this discussion IMHO because I think it is a complex and multi-variated issue and also it just doesn't interest me that much (even though I'm a woman in an academic environment). I think the response rate of the study is very good for a survey study. I also think the way they broke down responses by category of specialty was a good call to keep the power decent; breaking it down by individual specialty isn't reasonable for a study of this type and you can draw some decent conclusions from the way they broke it down. Given they are only looking at academic physicians with NIH grants, the population is specific enough otherwise to also draw some conclusions. That being said I also believe that one of the reasons for the discrepancy also has to do with the way women negotiate for salaries and the other factors you note. So while I believe there is room for improvement in pay discrepancy, it can't all be answered with "pay women more." Things like paid and guaranteed maternity leave are also going to be important to the discussion.

Reactions: 1 user