Behavioral neurology and general psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MysteryDiagnosis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know behavioral neurologists typically treat or manage psychiatric issues associated with organic, neurological disorders such as psychosis from alzheimers for instance. But can a behavioral neurologist manage psychiatric symptoms of disorders of unknown etiology? Or those without a visible neurological basis such as PTSD or schizophrenia?

Members don't see this ad.

Those are psychiatric disorders. You are looking for neuropsychiatry, not behavioral neurology which deals overwhelmingly with dementia.

Reactions: 1 user
Those are psychiatric disorders. You are looking for neuropsychiatry, not behavioral neurology which deals overwhelmingly with dementia.

Right, I know they are psychiatric disorders, but that is what I am asking. Since there is so much overlap between behavioral neurology and neuropsychiatry, can a behavioral neurologist technically or legally treat a psychiatric disorder that is not organic in nature? (ie. Like not because of dementia or whatever)

Members don't see this ad :)
no, you will not have the training/access to these pts as a neurologist. for people torn between neurology and psych, i advise you to consider how much you enjoy internal medicine. If you LOVE internal medicine, then choose neurology (neurology used to be simply another branch of medicine and in some countries is a fellowship after medicine). If you don't like it, then choose psych (the training, lifestyle, are much easier and better).

Right, I know they are psychiatric disorders, but that is what I am asking. Since there is so much overlap between behavioral neurology and neuropsychiatry, can a behavioral neurologist technically or legally treat a psychiatric disorder that is not organic in nature? (ie. Like not because of dementia or whatever)
If you want to treat psychiatric disorders, you should get psychiatric training. I don't know if behavioral neurologists can "technically or legally" treat psychiatric disorders, but it sure sounds unethical and bad medical practice.

If you want to treat psychiatric disorders, you should get psychiatric training. I don't know if behavioral neurologists can "technically or legally" treat psychiatric disorders, but it sure sounds unethical and bad medical practice.

So what can they treat?

Hmm, I read and it said they can study and treat mood and anxiety disorders.

Mood and anxiety disorders are commonly comorbid with primary neurologic disorders, like Alzheimer's. That's a very different thing from treating primary psychotic disorders.

They can treat anxiety too? So like would a gynecologist have to get a "behavioral gynecology" fellowship?

Anyone who has graduated medical school can throw an SSRI at an anxious or depressed person. That's not what a fellowship is for.

Frankly it seems like you are trying to find excuses for why you should be able to treat the diseases you want to treat (primary psychiatric disorders) while not facing the antiquated stigma of psychiatry. Besides telling you that this is stupid, there's not much that any of us can do to help you.

Reactions: 2 users
Behavioral neurology was established, historically, as a way to collect patients for research in the areas of behavioral and cognitive neuroscience. It was not focused on treatment. This has changed - some - over the years. But that is the foundation of the discipline.

They can treat anxiety too? So like would a gynecologist have to get a "behavioral gynecology" fellowship?

What? ObGyn prescribe anti anxiety meds all of the time. Post pardon depression is a real thing and they are the ones who usually manage the meds.

Reactions: 1 user