BE CAREFUL of MUA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naldo75

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF THE AMERICAS IS WORTHLESS!!!!!!

I am a graduate of the school and I can speak first had. PROCEED WITH CAUTION BEFORE ATTENDING THIS SCHOOL.

THEIR PRACTICES ARE QUESTIONABLE AT BEST........Just take a look at the web site and count the number of graduates they list on the Alumni and Residency page since the first graduating class.....Now think for a minute......How is it that there are so few graduates listed on the website when average class size is about 50 students per term on a rolling admission? Hmmmm

The answer is simply this the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of students either do not make it to graduation or those that do can not pass boards and go on into residency.

They do not post this information on purpose so that they can lure you into a trap...Its all about money. The could care less about you once they have taken your money...

In my class of about 50 students only 14 made it into Residency.....Thats a shame.....If there was a US school producing such poor numbers in graduates consecutively term after term they would be shut down by the AMA.......

Since there is no regulatory governing body over these off shore med schools many students fall victim to these absolutely shameful practices.

Imagine coming out of med school not being able to get into residency and having over $100,000.00 in student loan debt to pay and MUA and its staff act like they dont even know you.

TRUST ME I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCED THIS.....I WISH THE REST WOULD POST AND POTENTIALLY SAVE YET ANOTHER VICTIM.

BE FOREWARNED

mind you there are some really good professors down there who are great but the school overall is a joke. They basically set people up to fail...Its a business in the end and they could care less if you and your family who probably have spent thousands of dollars to send you there are now emotionally, and financially devastated. MUA...Beware of Dr. Collins (not an MD)and Dr. Necage (unliscenced with no residency training) who play with you like toys and Dr. Fredricks the brain behind the operation. I recommend sitting out and trying a US school or going to St Georges which is the only Caribbean school worth anything as they operate as a US school and do not treat there students like bastard children.

Caribbean OFF SHORE med schools are money making machines. True caribbean Med schools like UWI or those in Cuba are legit and are getting bad reps due to the horrible practices of places like MUA and the sister school SABA.......

BE CAREFUL.........Again, Just count the alumni listed on the Alumni/Residency page (which should be "Alumni" and "Residency" not just "Residency" which is all that you find listed) Talk about false advertising huh...........and ask MUA to explain why there are so few graduates if average class size is 50 students on a rolling admission. They will aviod answering that question. I WISH 20/20 would run an investigative story on them. Tell the world about what they do to innocent students.

How can they live with themselves knowing that this is what they are doing to people. Its a SCAM disguised as a great thing.........One of the best scams in madern history. Caribbean Medschools.....Most aren't even owned by Doctors....Most are owned by business men who know nothing about medicine....Case in point Dr. Fredricks!!!!!! Opportunist who said to himself if Ross University can make money hand over fist "hey what the hell so can I"......and SABA University was born.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I appreciate your post. Thanks for letting other people know what they should not do. What do you think of SABA university since I am planning to go there in January. You have any feedback from your friends there.
Anything would be great.

If you went to a caribbean school with the notion that getting into a med school = becoming a doctor some day, then you are foolish. If you didn't work hard, or you just didn't have what it takes, you're not going to make it. The names you see on the residency/alumni list are the students who worked hard, beat the odds and made it!

If you were ready to shell out >$100,000 to this school, then YOU are the sucker. You should have done your homework. Caribbean schools are all about money? Really?!?! SHOCKING!:rolleyes:

I seriously doubt you're an attending. I'm going to guess that you are one of those graduates who had some trouble with the boards and securing a residency and you are now blaming the school for your failures.

I'm an MS4 at MUA. I'm entering the 2009 match. If I don't match, I'm not going to blame anyone but myself. By letting you in, Caribbean schools give you another chance to becoming an M.D. You have work hard to make it out successfully.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like somebody wasn’t ready for med school.
The big problem with most Caribbean schools is that they let too many people in that have no business being there. Yes it IS all about the money, but you should have a good idea whether or not you have the ability to make it out before you spend that much money and time. The schools’ give you the opportunity, there’s no guarantee that you’ll be successful. My class started with a little over fifty students and by fifth semester was down to just over thirty. Of those thirty+ that finished basic science with, most had a residency within three years and others have matched/scrambled since. 2004 (resident list) was the first/charter class of MUA and was quite small; the numbers have increased exponentially since.
Schools like MUA have there problems but you shouldn’t be there if you were able to get into a US school. Bottom line is if you work hard you can be successful, but just because it’s easy to get in doesn’t mean they dumb down the curriculum.
It’s time for students to take some responsibility, the schools are happy to take your money; you need to figure out if you’re capable of completing the program before allowing them to. Throughout your life people will try to take money from you, as the consumer you need to educate yourself. Know your limitations and be ready to admit it when you’re in over your head.
Don’t shift the blame because you weren’t successful, no school (MGH, JHU, SGU, etc) guarantees a residency it’s up to the individual.
Thanks MUA, you gave me the opportunity.
PGY3

You sound bitter becuase you were kicked out. Don't worry, there's like 20 other caribs school you can easily transfer to.

Reactions: 1 user
WOW! There is so much negativity here regarding Caribbean medical schools. I work with Caribbean med grads who are practicing in anesthesiology,internal medicine etc., They are hard workers and know their stuff. If you work hard then Caribbean medical schools can get you where you need to be. Yes they are more than a few which are just simply diploma mills, but we can't say the same about all the Caribbean schools and have to be very careful in searching for the right school not just a scam.

It's true with the BIG 4 and also schools like MUA-Nevis etc., can get you where you need to be.

Good family friend of ours got his first job after finishing residency training at a University residency program. He is on his way to start a fellowship. Getting married soon and have a very blessed life, because he worked hard and stayed positive and believed in his dreams.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to offend anyone, but I feel like I must speak the truth. I know Caribbean school didn't work out some, but we can't just say that all Caribbean medical schools are a complete waste especially the BIG 4 and MUA-Nevis type schools.

As far as University of West Indies goes, it's a great school but it's curriculum is not based on USMLE patterns.

Thanks very much.

MDPWR.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what your real opinion is, no offense, but your grammar is awful. I hope you didn't make the conclusion that the two people doing those residencies were not the best in the world because they are from a Caribbean school. US schools are filled with dopes. Caribbean schools are filled with dopes and the both of them have wonderful students as well. If you really consider the criteria used to become accepted to US schools, you can easily see it doesn't really mean anything. Seriously, people say the MCAT is an accurate tool that can determine ones ability to perform in medical school. That's ridiculous. The MCAT tests material that really have nothing to do with medicine. In fact, it tests so many areas of knowledge that anyone who can do well on this test is most likely to do well in ANY academical setting. Obviously there are many, many people who could study and do very well on the MCAT yet never make a good physician. It's like thinking someone who is 7ft tall would make a great basketball player. Not necessarily. Do you think an introverted and genius pedophile would do well as a pediatrician? So many important characteristics necessary in being a good physician are ignored from the beginning. All this hype over scores undermines some wonderful candidates out there. This is why a student with good test taking skills can slip through the system and become a physician even when he/she has zero social skills, no integrity, and an overall disinterest in people. I knew a radiologist who could barely speak english, rude and would absolutely refuse to speak to any patients or family members regarding any findings he reported. But hey, he did well on exams..so who cares? I know there has to be some way to evaluate candidates, I just don't think the current method is appropriate. So please don't think US schools are superior to all Caribbean schools. If this is not what you meant to say, I apologize. But again, your grammar made it difficult to decipher your intentions, but what the hell, I'm sure you nailed the USMLE exams.

First of all...no one is bitter.......no one got kicked out.....no one didnt make it into residency......Some of you clearly misunderstood the meaning of the post. Carribean schools are great schools...(some of them at least) Yes they have great professors.....Yes they allow those who could not enter a US or Canadian school to get it.......all great things.....But what are they not telling you?

It is true that being informed is part of the entire process but where you get your information is the biggest part. If your looking for MUA to provide you with true statistical information regarding residency and boards your fooling yourself. I can only speak to MUA since I graduated from there and can speak first hand. If some of you read the email you would see that it is a warning and nothing more. Something to at least take a look at and question. So that you can make an informed descision prior to investing huge amounts of money into a medical education that may never materialize.

Are there people who have graduated and are in residency? Yes many are. I was one of them and am now practicing in Alabama but the overwhelming majority have not (not only MUA mind you) and thats what I think is a shame. Not because they were not smart enough because in my class most worked hard and studied there butts off. But I think the problem is was that MUA accepted many students into the program that they knew would not succeed in order to make money and thats my problem with the school. Setting someone up to fail is wrong period point blank (Ross university was famous for this and from what I am told has since stopped this practice). How do you do that to someone....Yes there is injustice everywhere but we are physicians and operate under a higher moral code. ( i would at the very least like to think so) And it would be nice if the school (MUA) that is training future physicians operated the same way "ethically". UNFORTUNATELY THATS NOT THE CASE.....So in response to the MS4 who swears to be the authority on who is a hard worker and who is not, you have a lot to learn. Once you start residency you will quickly learn and see the difference between you and the US grad. Then come back and tell me that you were adequately prepared......You have no clue. You sooon will though....LOL.... you soon will. Being at the top of the class in Nevis doesn't make you the top of the class in residency. Remember I told you so......This is not to keep anyone from going to a caribbean school its simply to inform you..... as you would a patient prior to obtaining consent. Then you allow them to make there own descisions with proper information at hand. The website does not say alumni residencies for hard working students it say's alumni and residency...so List all your Alumni. Tell the TRUTH. then let people make an informed descision about your school once they see how many never made it. US schools do that hell even St. Georges does that. Why wont MUA? hmmmm I wonder why? The MS4 that replied said "The names you see on the residency/alumni list are the students who worked hard, beat the odds and made it!" well why not give future students those odd's in true form and fashion then maybe they can evaluate if MUA is the best option for them.....Thats all I think they should do. But of course the dont and won't.

Like I said before, There are many brilliant people who attend these school and some have attended MUA and are brilliant physicians now dont get me wrong. Take it for what its worth, just something to think about before you invest your money...... I've seen to many MUA and other caribbean students end up stuck, depressed, disillusioned, to not try to keep someone else from making the same mistake. Many of these people were my friends. Evaluate the school and most of all yourself before doing it. Ask the right questions and don't accept the answer's they want you to hear.....ask around. be informed. If you think im making it up just ask other schools and other MUA students......I wont be the only one saying this.... so as the saying goes dont hate the player hate the game. Do as you will. Its up to you......Yes there are no garruntees but I've heard it over and over again that had people been informed they may have made different choices regarding their education.

Last edited:
Very good post. One mention though, why do you feel a Caribbean student would be less prepared than a US grad? Basic sciences are basic sciences, clinical training is all done in the US, and the ultimate determination of continuation, with most Caribbean schools, is the USMLE exams. So I ask you, an American who attends a good Caribbean school, completes 100% of clinical rotations in the US and scores 240+ on Step 1and 2 is 'less prepared' than a US grad? I think you are minimizing the importance of the individual. An older Caribbean graduate with 12 years of nursing in an ICU who aces the USMLE exams will run circles around a 24 year old US grad. You are exactly right regarding the unethical practices of some Caribbean schools. As far as Ross 'setting people up to fail' at the same time there were people passing, in fact the majority. It's a common philosophy that US schools are tough to get into, but easy to remain in. Caribbean schools, the good ones, aren't so difficult to get into, but are difficult to remain in. US schools have private tutoring, re-take on exams, summer school, etc.. Caribbean schools don't care. You fail, there are plenty of students waiting to take your place. Being that Carib. schools tend to have lesser requirements to get in, is it not pertinent that the student will have to prove him/herself beyond question? Now don't go getting angry with me, I'm just making a point here. I certainly agree with you on proceeding with caution as to what a school can provide for you. I too know people who did well on the USMLE exams, but because the school they were affiliated with was lacking in US connections, they had very little options for residency. I've heard some stories like you stated regarding MUA, St. James, St. Eustatius, and AUA. Thoroughly investigate any Caribbean school before you jump in. Just please consider that people who come from Caribbean schools are not inferior to US grads by default. It is a matter of character, integrity, compassion and desire that makes a good physician, and those qualities come from within regardless of where the diploma came from.

Starting MUA in September, have no idea what OP is talking about. Sounds like a case of sour grapes. Know at least 4 grads and 5 more currently attending. It's hard but they overall liked it, and felt the school did as much for them as they would've received from any other Carib

I would be very cautious about attending ANY Caribbean school that does not publish the match results and USMLE pass rate for the students. This includes basically all the schools down there except one or two of them...they are hiding things for a REASON...hint hint.

I would be very cautious about attending ANY Caribbean school that does not publish the match results and USMLE pass rate for the students. This includes basically all the schools down there except one or two of them...they are hiding things for a REASON...hint hint.

MUA Nevis is the same crowd as SABA, just newer (10 years old) They have a very impressive match list FWIW. I see they are NY approved same as AUA.

I am a graduate of the school and I can speak first had.

I seriously doubt you are a) an attending b) a graduate. No-one shoots their school down in flames like you do. I have a buddy that attends there and he is quite happy with how it is working out for him.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work with a resident Doc who attend MUA (he is even listed on their website) and he is one of the best, most thorough, and kindness people I have meet. Motivation and self confidence makes up for the schools reputation.

Motivation and self confidence are nice but let's not forget what really makes up for what ... Your scores! That's all that matters and when going up against a U.S. grad it may still not be enough. Regardless of what school you go to you're still an IMG, your training will be questioned and all you have are your scores to back you up.

Once you are in your internship/residency, does anyone care where you went to med school? Definitely, being a foreign/international medical grad is counted against you while matching to residencies, whether justly or not, but afterwards, you are just another resident, yes? Or is there yet another hurdle that I haven't heard of?

Once you are in your internship/residency, does anyone care where you went to med school? Definitely, being a foreign/international medical grad is counted against you while matching to residencies, whether justly or not, but afterwards, you are just another resident, yes? Or is there yet another hurdle that I haven't heard of?

The only one I've heard of is on an individual basis. Mostly of the older generation of doctors and nurses. More so with nurses than doctors.

If you went to a caribbean school with the notion that getting into a med school = becoming a doctor some day, then you are foolish. If you didn't work hard, or you just didn't have what it takes, you're not going to make it. The names you see on the residency/alumni list are the students who worked hard, beat the odds and made it!

If you were ready to shell out >$100,000 to this school, then YOU are the sucker. You should have done your homework. Caribbean schools are all about money? Really?!?! SHOCKING!:rolleyes:

I seriously doubt you're an attending. I'm going to guess that you are one of those graduates who had some trouble with the boards and securing a residency and you are now blaming the school for your failures.

I'm an MS4 at MUA. I'm entering the 2009 match. If I don't match, I'm not going to blame anyone but myself. By letting you in, Caribbean schools give you another chance to becoming an M.D. You have work hard to make it out successfully.

I know its late in the day but I just came across this post so just for the record did you match in 2009 and if so where and in what
Thank you. Your answer will be most helpful and inspiring to many who are trying to decide on schools.

You have resurrected a year old thread. Doubt anyone is following it anymore.

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm going to comment anyway, for the record.

I am a pgy-1 in psychiatry, left the Island in Aug 2008, graduated in 2010 and matched easily. The quality of MUA students I see coming to OKC for rotations is amazing. They are every bit as qualified, able to deal with pimping, hard work, scutwork, passing tests, impressing nurse, staff, and attendings, that the above original post has no merit.

I do not consider myself academically talented. I had to work really hard, am a 2nd career person, in late 40's at that time, with a family, and family dynamics to live with also. This was good in many ways. But I needed emotional and tactical support there and I recieved it. I was never alone.

THIS IS OBVIOUSLY ONE MISERABLE PERSON'S EXPERIENCE. I know there other miserable people who matriculated there. Not everyone is going to get to the sifting point, which is the comprehensive shelf exam after 20 months of classes, and be able to pass it. Some never could, had to swtich to other schools to do clinicals, and are now doing well. It's become a lot tougher. And the years of 2007-2008 saw a lot of toughening at MUA.

Regarding the school abandoning you after the Island, or at any point is a bunch of hogwash. I was helped, supplied info, and promptly responded to at every point of the match, and also the really confusing stuff of getting all your papers together for state licensing, for residency.

So, go to ValueMD, read there. Of course, each person has the right to be unhappy, but this is a gross mis-representation of the character and nature of MUA and it's procesess.

Dude's a f*****g ******. MUA is one of the best, fasting growing schools in the caribbean. they are sister schools of Saba. in no time they will be cali approved. they also have very high first time step pass rates. tuition is like 1/3rd the tuition of the top4 too.

MUA is still tons better than the even lower tier of medical schools down there, like Xavier in Aruba, Windsor and Spartan. I have heard so many bad things about the last 3. More and more of my friends are going to these small, new schools and they pretty much won't listen to me on how risky they are!

Well Yes. Anyone, anyone who goes to MUA and passes their boards will get a residency. Maybe not in Derm or Neurosurgery, but in just about anything else.

:)I intend to resume to mua in january!I am a B.sc physiology degree holder who wants to further into studying medicine.can anyone please convince me!why I should come all the way to a carribean medical school.most especially MUA.
Nb*not based on what dey have on the site plesase.cause have gone over that so many times without reaching an optimum conclusion.

:)I intend to resume to mua in january!I am a B.sc physiology degree holder who wants to further into studying medicine.can anyone please convince me!why I should come all the way to a carribean medical school.most especially MUA.
Nb*not based on what dey have on the site plesase.cause have gone over that so many times without reaching an optimum conclusion.

i'm an MUA alumni. i don't have any gripes with the school. in fact, i'm very grateful for finishing my education. residency is now over and i start my first job as an attending in 2 weeks.

medical school wherever you go is about you. if you work hard, get good scores, network and perform well in clinicals, then you'll do well. that's the short answer.

good luck!

The answer is simply this the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of students either do not make it to graduation or those that do can not pass boards and go on into residency.
This speaks to the quality of the students, not the quality of the school.

If the students can't pass the boards, how is it the school's fault? With resources like First Aid, Goljan, Kaplan, etc. blaming the school isn't really a valid excuse.

I'm a recent MUA graduate (basic sciences) and transferred to a US School (NEOMED) during 3rd year for clinicals.

And I gotta say...MUA gave me a fantastic education (MAINLY 2/2 the fantastic professors) and was undoubtedly the best two years of my life.

It's true that compared to US grads/med-students - the clinical training is Sub-par (even compared to Ross kids). I remember walking into the hospital for the first time feeling completely lost. But you pick that stuff up pretty fast once you get into it.

My basic science knowledge is much much better than a lot of these US people, because that's what Caribbean schools focus on (getting higher USMLE I pass rates)..

I have friends above me that have scored amazing residencies (a friend of mine is doing EM @ Case Western) and I was able to transfer to a US school. So...totally possible to do well from this school.

Plus the island is Amazing!! It was voted in the Top 10 Most Romantic Getaways in the world.. Great students, Great professors, Fantastic weather, No distractions (not even a movie theater).

I'm a recent MUA graduate (basic sciences) and transferred to a US School (NEOMED) during 3rd year for clinicals.

And I gotta say...MUA gave me a fantastic education (MAINLY 2/2 the fantastic professors) and was undoubtedly the best two years of my life.

It's true that compared to US grads/med-students - the clinical training is Sub-par (even compared to Ross kids). I remember walking into the hospital for the first time feeling completely lost. But you pick that stuff up pretty fast once you get into it.

My basic science knowledge is much much better than a lot of these US people, because that's what Caribbean schools focus on (getting higher USMLE I pass rates)..

I have friends above me that have scored amazing residencies (a friend of mine is doing EM @ Case Western) and I was able to transfer to a US school. So...totally possible to do well from this school.

Plus the island is Amazing!! It was voted in the Top 10 Most Romantic Getaways in the world.. Great students, Great professors, Fantastic weather, No distractions (not even a movie theater).

congrats on getting into a US school and good luck! i echo your sentiment. i graduated from mua in 2008 and definitely appreciated my education on nevis and during clinicals.

I totally agree with a lot of the posts on here, but even some advanced students may be a bit ignorant. The bottom line is if a school is a cash cow, you can't trust that even the students that deserve to finish actually finish the MD down there, and I'm not even getting to the residency step, which is a whole different ball game.

It is my belief that getting into a legitimate medical school increases the chance for graduation for even people that would fail at the Caribbean. Some reasoning behind this is I know a guy with a 2.5 gpa passing school at a prestigious institution in Ireland. However, a friend of mine here at my school has a family member passing the Caribbean with a 2.4 from undergrad, but I hear of way way more fail-outs of GPAs over 3.0, or even 3.5 failing from the Caribbean (this is mainly Ross though). When I talk to those from Ireland, they say nobody fails, when I talk to those from Caribbean, they are scared out of their mind.

If you go to the Caribbean, I would hope you are a high achieving, genuinely smart person that got a low gpa for partying, immaturity, or something like that. If there is some issues with your intellect, no matter your gpa, I recommend you try to get into a school with a higher pass rate, that is not-for-profit.

What happens if you fail out of the Caribbean? Contrary to popular belief, if you fail stuff in the Caribbean, you path to becoming a doctor is not over. I've seen countless profiles of people that attended 2 or 3 schools and matches into IM or FP. When you see transferring to a lower school on these profiles, it's clear there were some expectations of the institution not met, meaning academic deficiencies in one or more area.

Last edited:
congrats on getting into a US school and good luck! i echo your sentiment. i graduated from mua in 2008 and definitely appreciated my education on nevis and during clinicals.

Wow you are a medical pimp, that is the most impressive thing I've heard, MUA to US MD, work it man.

Is MUA a good school? Now that it even got US federal loan...

Can you please tell me the reasons why you think its a bad school.

Your chances of successfully completing the school, making above average scores on the Step exams, and securing a residency spot from MUA are small. If you must go Caribbean, the Big 4 are the way to go. A better choice is making your application better and applying to US MD/DO schools. Caribbean schools, including the Big 4, are only going to be a tougher and tougher route to a practicing physician as the years progress.

But then, many people have told you this in other responses. You seem to be fishing for answers, hoping that someone will tell you that MUA is the place to be.

This post by@Del Caribe can help explain about the different groups of schools. Of course, anything from @Skip Intro is good stuff too. But I do notice he's answered this question for you before as well...

Yeah true. But the only reason I have been fishing for answers is that many people told me mua is not place to go. But no one has given me good reasons what makes mua a bad school. And what would be major differences between mua and top 4. The only difference I see it that mua is not approved in California. Other than that I wanna know whats different between top 4 and mua.

Yeah true. But the only reason I have been fishing for answers is that many people told me mua is not place to go. But no one has given me good reasons what makes mua a bad school. And what would be major differences between mua and top 4. The only difference I see it that mua is not approved in California. Other than that I wanna know whats different between top 4 and mua.

The only reason you should care about, is that attending MUA does not maximize your chances of obtaining a residency. They unequivocally --do not-- place as many students as the Big 4 schools. Why is that? I have no idea. Probably a combination of state licensing, poor name recognition, being a small school, it's much newer, etc. The point is, if a program director is looking at your application versus as SGU or Ross student, even if you got a better Step score than they did, you're probably not going to get picked. These other schools are large enough to have good clerkship placements in hospitals, and have consistent records of getting students placed into residencies. MUA does not have the same track record.

What's your strong interest in this school? Rather than have us give you reasons not to attend, can you give me your top 3 reasons why you want to attend MUA?

3 reasons I want to attend mua:

1) small class size ~ 70 more student to faculty interaction
2) lower tuition than top 4
3) not high failing rate like Ross (50%)
4) not enough Mcat to apply to sgu

Also haven't heard many bad things like aua

If your mcat is too low to get into SGU, you are not operating at an intellectual/education level that predicts success. Medicine is full of standardized testing hurdles, all of which must be cleared to get a license...and coming from a non-big4 carribean school, barely clearing them doesn't help....you must do very well.

If you can't even get into an SGU/Ross you aren't meant to be a doctor, there are a lot of very fulfilling fields within medicine that you can survive the training to enter

Do any of these have any bearing on getting a residency? I know I'm sounding like a broken record here, but that should be your goal. It doesn't matter a damn thing if you excel while on the islands, do spectacularly well in all of your classes, manage your finances responsibly, do well on the Step, and then still don't get a residency!. Over half of the students from Nevis that pass the Step 1 do not get a residency! This should be terrifying to you! That means you can do everything right and statistically you are still unlikely to ever be an attending physician in the US!

If your MCAT isn't good enough to get into a Big 4 school, you should really really be stepping back and evaluating the likelihood of doing well on the Step, which is like an 8 hour MCAT on steroids. The volume, pacing, and complexity of information only increases as you move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

There will be a myriad of reasons posted explaining you why NOT to attend a caribbean school other than ROSS, SGU and AUC all amalgamate to the conclusion - "You will most likely NEVER become a practicing physician."

Me personally knowing the substandards of AUA and similar schools like MUA etc can explain you why it is - Cali approval, Title IV, approval for licence in all States (If not all atleast a decent proportion) - these are just the obvious reasons.

What most don't appreciate about Ross, SGU and AUC in the caribbean are their education standards - being miles higher than AUA, MUA and the rest of the boat load of caribbean schools. You will quite often witness infringement of academic integrity on part of both students and faculty in these lower tiered schools - often times leading to severed ties with Clinical sites in the States and also deep mistrust on part of administrative bodies (i.e. NBME, States that allot residencies, medical boards etc).

Also haven't heard many bad things like aua

Please get back to us in 4+ years and let us know how it turned out. Will be very curious to hear.

-Skip

Thanks for your help everyone. I really appreciate your opinions/facts.

I have a question: For example if i go to school which is not California approved. But if the school gets approved while i am in school like my 3rd year or 4th year. Would i still be able to practice and do rotations in cali?

I have a question: For example if i go to school which is not California approved. But if the school gets approved while i am in school like my 3rd year or 4th year. Would i still be able to practice and do rotations in cali?

legal and able are very different things.....you would be legal, but that is not relevant to able, able is what determines if you just threw $200k and 4 yrs away. Don't go below the big 4

legal and able are very different things.....you would be legal, but that is not relevant to able, able is what determines if you just threw $200k and 4 yrs away. Don't go below the big 4

I might have asked this before and apologize, but besides top 4 which ones are good. i heard AUA is tier 2 and MUA is tier 3. Assuming the student is smart but just made big mistakes in undergrad, and cant get into top 4.

I might have asked this before and apologize, but besides top 4 which ones are good. i heard AUA is tier 2 and MUA is tier 3. Assuming the student is smart but just made big mistakes in undergrad, and cant get into top 4.

if you can't fix your app enough to get into the top 4, you have no reason to think you can do well in medical school.....what's your gpa and mcat