BCOM Foundations in Biomedical Science Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avdentes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any specific info on this program? They have a guaranteed acceptance if you graduate with a B+ overall average and no individual course grade of <B. Thoughts???

*Note that this is not a degree granting program, thus students are not eligible for federal financial aid funding.

Members don't see this ad.

I will tmrw, have a phone interview for a spot in this program

Members don't see this ad :)
Also if you score >500 on MCAT with no section lower than 124.

I think there are exceptions to the 124 rule. I think this is really a personalized, big picture attributes kind of thing. will post back tmrw

yes. The class size is going to be 30-40. The goal of the program is to matriculate into their DO program. If you don have MCAT scores they offer a course, but she said one grade under 124 wont kill you (they look at the big picture). She also said that she doubts everyone in the program will get guaranteed accpetance because you absolutely must meet all requirements posted... but everyone will interview. Post Bacc students will take 75% of their courses alongside the 1st year medical students... the 25% excluded is anatomy, and will be replaced with medical ethics. It seems like a really good program with a small class and a chance to get to know proffesors. I think if you try hard you can matriculate even with bad scores coming in

Reactions: 1 users
Did they give you any stats on how many ppl have been accepted so far or what the average GPA/MCAT of those who are accepted are?

Nope and Nope my stats are around 3.1 and a 501 6 years working various technologist positions in a level 1 hospital

Last edited:
yes. The class size is going to be 30-40. The goal of the program is to matriculate into their DO program. If you don have MCAT scores they offer a course, but she said one grade under 124 wont kill you (they look at the big picture). She also said that she doubts everyone in the program will get guaranteed accpetance because you absolutely must meet all requirements posted... but everyone will interview. Post Bacc students will take 75% of their courses alongside the 1st year medical students... the 25% excluded is anatomy, and will be replaced with medical ethics. It seems like a really good program with a small class and a chance to get to know proffesors. I think if you try hard you can matriculate even with bad scores coming in

Nice, I hope you get accepted! When you say "absolutely must meet all requirements posted", does that only mean letter grades or both MCAT and letter grades? I remember seeing on their website that there is both Anatomy (Structure of the Human Body) and Physiology (Functions of Human Systems). Did that change?

Nope and Nope my stats are around 3.1 and a 498+ 6 years working various technologist positions in a level 1 hospital

Good luck!!!

Nice, I hope you get accepted! When you say "absolutely must meet all requirements posted", does that only mean letter grades or both MCAT and letter grades? I remember seeing on their website that there is both Anatomy (Structure of the Human Body) and Physiology (Functions of Human Systems). Did that change?

Since this is the first year the program is starting, I don't think anything has changed yet from the stuff they posted

Members don't see this ad :)
she said both

Reactions: 1 user
She said that everyone who gets above a 70% avg for the fall term is guaranteed an interview regardless of Mcat. If you are close like in my case.... Made a 122 on cars because the proctor took me out.... she forgot to check my pockets... Doiii ...then exceptions may be made

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

ACEEPPPPTTTTEDDDDD

Reactions: 5 users
Isn't this program like 50k?

It's 29K actually and if anyone is still wondering the class size is limited to 38 students.

It's 29K actually and if anyone is still wondering the class size is limited to 38 students.

Congrats!! Would you mind sharing how the phone interview was, hard, easy etc.? Were you asked things mostly related to your extracurriculars? And approx how long was the phone interview?

Anyone able to get in touch with the program director? Seems like she has been MIA...

There is no fin aid(fafsa) though..so im guessing private loans?

Anyone able to get in touch with the program director? Seems like she has been MIA...
Yes spoke with her yesterday..really nice lady. You should just keep calling

Yes spoke with her yesterday..really nice lady. You should just keep calling
Okay Thanks!!! I think everything is private loans even for the DO kids.

Okay Thanks!!! I think everything is private loans even for the DO kids.
Yes thats what she said..i just wanted to make sure lol..kinda sucks but its a new school so i understand. As far as accreditation its not until the 1st class of DO students graduate in 2020.

Is anyone looking for housing in Las Cruces? I've a 2 bd 2 ba apartment at Sonoma Palms and plans with roommate fell through so opening it up to last minute DO accepted students and post bac students. Ill be in the inaugural med student DO class and will be moving with a 60 lb dog. Pm for details if interested

I would love to switch your 2 bedroom for a 1 bedroom at Sonoma Palms. We are on the waiting list for a 2 bedroom! HA

What's the minimum gpa to apply for this program? I couldn't find this on their website.

I don't think it exists. You could always call and ask!
Do you know if I can apply without MCAT score? I took mine last week, and I would love to apply for the program! And I noticed the deadline is on July 6th. How long did it take to hear back??

Hi everyone I didn't know there was a thread for FBS students. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you in the program this coming August!

Do you know if I can apply without MCAT score? I took mine last week, and I would love to apply for the program! And I noticed the deadline is on July 6th. How long did it take to hear back??

I haven't heard back yet regarding my application, but maybe they don't like me. (Applied Mid May)
I don't think an MCAT is required because under the MCAT section in the program description, they talk about MCAT preparation being available for those who never taken it (https://bcomnm.org/foundations-in-biomedical-science/)

I would really email or give them a call and verify everything before you apply though since you wouldn't want to waste your money.

No MCAT needed,I know someone who got in and has not taken it yet.

I haven't heard back yet regarding my application, but maybe they don't like me. (Applied Mid May)
I don't think an MCAT is required because under the MCAT section in the program description, they talk about MCAT preparation being available for those who never taken it (https://bcomnm.org/foundations-in-biomedical-science/)

I would really email or give them a call and verify everything before you apply though since you wouldn't want to waste your money.
No MCAT needed,I know someone who got in and has not taken it yet.

I emailed them and was told to apply as soon as possible. And because I took MCAT recently and my score will be out next month, they will review my application once my MCAT score arrives for this fall term!

I hope I get in so I can start BCOM next year!

I emailed them and was told to apply as soon as possible. And because I took MCAT recently and my score will be out next month, they will review my application once my MCAT score arrives for this fall term!

I hope I get in so I can start BCOM next year!
An idea on the timeline for hearing back, at least so far for me: I submitted my application on June 13th, and had all my other materials in (transcripts, etc.) on June 21st, and was interviewed last Friday, the 24th. I haven't heard back yet post-interview but was told I should hear back sometime this week. If you have any questions please feel free to message me. Good luck!! :)

An idea on the timeline for hearing back, at least so far for me: I submitted my application on June 13th, and had all my other materials in (transcripts, etc.) on June 21st, and was interviewed last Friday, the 24th. I haven't heard back yet post-interview but was told I should hear back sometime this week. If you have any questions please feel free to message me. Good luck!! :)

I submitted mine yesterday along with my transcripts. I have to turn in my letters of recommendations right now. I will send you a pm!

I got in!!! :soexcited:Looking forward to meeting my soon-to-be classmates :)

I have an interview tomorrow! I know it's super late, but any suggestions?

I have an interview tomorrow! I know it's super late, but any suggestions?

know your application and typical interview questions, ask any questions about the program you're curious about, especially if you are to be accepted... school starts soon and they require all students to be present starting next Monday. They are very honest and prepared and will provide you with all the information they have at hand.

know your application and typical interview questions, ask any questions about the program you're curious about, especially if you are to be accepted... school starts soon and they require all students to be present starting next Monday. They are very honest and prepared and will provide you with all the information they have at hand.

yeah I realized that too... If I were to get accepted, I need to find a place asap and get everything I need. Are you guys all driving there? I couldn't find nearby airport. But, I'm from Cali so I guess I can drive there.

yeah I realized that too... If I were to get accepted, I need to find a place asap and get everything I need. Are you guys all driving there? I couldn't find nearby airport. But, I'm from Cali so I guess I can drive there.

The nearest airport is actually in El Paso, Texas and then you would need to drive north for 45 minutes. I wouldn't worry too much about a place right now, most matriculating students are very friendly and are willing to let last minute students crash their couch. Message me if you want specific information