baystate medical center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastosprintini

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everybody, i would like to know if someone has recent information about their painfellowship, last thing i heard their PD was let go due to a scandal(alcoholism?) and things changed around quite a bit...? is the quality of the program still considered poor or have new people moved in and changed things...?
fasto

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also curious about the status of Baystate's pain fellowship. Anyone heard anything?

I would stay away from Baystate. The program leadership is corrupt. Financial issues plague the institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
cant say anything in particular about the program, but the 2 docs i know who trained there are worthless. it MAY get you an ACGME fellowship, but the training appears to be crappy

I am not surprised by the crappy training at Baystate. I know several horror stories at the program. Residents have lost licences to practice medicine at the program because of illicit drug use and sexual aggression. Same applies to attendings. Teaching is practically non-existent.

Hi vg2014.
You posted the same thing on the Int med forum, the Emerg med forum and the Pain med forum...
Do all 3 dept's have the same problem?
Let us know what's going on there.

Interviewed here for pain this year. They have a new young PD who seems to be very enthusiastic and all about trying new stuff. They were one of the few progs I saw that do cannabanoid trials if ur into thAt. I think they just don't have a ton of volume and therefore u end up doing some acute pain as well, but the program overall seems to be improving. Fellows were happy and landing jobs. I still ranked it, and I wouldn't say avoid it altogether esp if ur from the area

I honestly do not know anything about the pain program other than the anesthesiologist who fabricated trial data for medications and served in jail ( which by the way tells you a lot).

Investigation: Massachusetts medical board omits, removes thousands of embarrassing records from physician database

I spend enough time at the institution and collected data on the institution and the leadership there because I grew suspicious after my first six months and I can tell you these issues exist there:

1. The institution is losing affiliations medical schools rapidly and trying to cover it up- they were affiliated with Tufts and now have changed affiliations to Umass because they were getting into trouble

2. The leadership tries to portray themselves as something they are not and tries to cover up issues the do not want to discuss

3. The operational issues at this institution border on CMS fraud. I was told by my one of my supervisors that he was changing time-stamps on his notes which were delinquent to cover his tracks because he had already billed for them. He told me he could get away with it simply because he was well established in medicine

4. Springfield is not the best city in the great state of Massachusetts as anyone who has been there would agree and unfortunately the leadership at this institution reflects the same questionable behavior

5. This institution was under probation by the department of public health in Massachusetts for breaking dialysis protocols. They were deliberately dialyzing patients with unclean equipment to make money.

I would recommend staying away from this institution if you care about your medical career and your license unless you are desperate. Whatever information comes your way from this institution should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Again, this is my recommendation based on my experience, you are free to use your own judgement based on what others tell you and your own situation. I grew sick of this institution and the leadership during my time there.

I am not surprised by the crappy training at Baystate. I know several horror stories at the program. Residents have lost licences to practice medicine at the program because of illicit drug use and sexual aggression. Same applies to attendings. Teaching is practically non-existent.

Yup. Past residents. I think you're failing to demonstrate how this answers the question. Guilt by association is, of course, a logical fallacy.

I mean it would depend on what you are looking for in a training program really. If you are looking to serve in a high-crime neighborhood in a medically under-served area where colleagues come drunk to work several times a year, Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, MA is the right choice for you. Also the IM program director spend like 10 years during his formative years being a " handyman" in New York city. Guess he is raising his residents to become handymen.
I personally, would stay away from BMC and their training programs. I have spent a fair amount of time at much better institutions than Baystate and I can say that I stand by every word I have written about BMC. BMC is made of the most petty, provincial and vindictive set of people I have seen during my time. Literally the " bottom of the food chain in medicine". If that describes you, I suppose BMC is the right choice for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol tell us how you really feel
I feel that BMC recruits the bottom feeders in medicine- both as residents and as faculty! DOs, IMGs with low scores and residents who have been kicked out from other residency programs due to issues with alcoholism / substance abuse. It might be an institution where you might fit in well.

VG2014, I'm sorry for your negative experiences on the residency side of things. I can't speak to the ethics of the institution.

I can only speak as a resident who has rotated with the pain department at some point in the last three years and still do regularly keep in contact with some of the pain attendings and fellows. Was not a resident there.

Yes, in the late 2000s, early 2010s, there was an anesthesiologist who fabricated a whole bunch of data and no one is proud of him. He was dismissed, served jail time and certainly won't practice again at Baystate. Questionable as to whether or not he will practice medicine again... The anesthesia and pain programs will talk about him and certainly don't try to cover him up. However, he certainly is not reflective of the other pain faculty at the program, nor their ethics.

There are about 10 pain faculty who rotate through the clinic with three fellows per year. All of them are thoroughly invested in fellow education and none are malignant. Some are more effective teachers than other. Fellows get a pretty great volume of bread and butter procedures, and each logged around 1000-1200 interventions (pre-covid). No pump program. A couple of kyphos per fellow, 10 ish stims including of SCS and DRG combined. They're looking to implant a PNS program according to one of the fellows who is there now. Introduced vertiflex but not sure of the numbers there. When I was on the interview trail, these numbers seemed about average for middle of the road programs. Obviously, the heavy hitters will do quite a bit more implantable work, but lets face it, not everyone is a candidate for those programs.

Implant and OR experience a bit weak according to graduated fellows, but those who have graduated have gone into their first jobs stating this, and were able to pick up the skills on the job if they wanted to do their own implants. Facilities are a little dated. Not a ton of research support here as a result of the research fabrication in the past. Fewer academic appointments from past grads.

Clinic is more in line with a private practice experience. 40 min new evals 20 min followups. Takes some time initially, but fellows were able to develop efficiency to get through the day. Eightish exam rooms, one c-arm room. ROtate with pain psych, neurosurgery, rheum, etc. One resident rotates through at a time, so you'll get some help from them too.

Springfield itself isn't the nicest place, but 10 minutes south is Longmeadow which is a comfy middle class neighborhood which is completely safe, 20 minutes north is Northampton which is a fun little college town, and thirty minutes south is West Hartford which is quite a bit more upscale. Hospital campus is safe, and never really felt unsafe walking around there.

Program has a preference for anesthesia MD/DO. Occasionally PMR will get an interview if someone they know can vouch for you, and they have had two PMR fellows in the past five years. No EM/Psych/other residents. Usually take one resident internally.

Call was one in three weekends only during the day. No fellows responsible for overnight call. Usually 2-3 new consults to see. Yes there is APS management, but normally only involves 1-2 epidurals plus nerve block followup from the previous day. Round just at Baystate Medical Center.

Overall, fellows seemed happy, have been able to get jobs in places they want (Bay area CA, Orlando, NJ, several have stayed on as faculty too). Certainly not a big name with huge exposure, but a reasonable enough middle of the line option.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel that BMC recruits the bottom feeders in medicine- both as residents and as faculty! DOs, IMGs with low scores and residents who have been kicked out from other residency programs due to issues with alcoholism / substance abuse. It might be an institution where you might fit in well.

Damnnnnn vg2014 your words cut me like hot knife through butter.

Where are you in ur pain career? Attending, fellow or resident?

None of your business perhaps. I am sitting in a major metro making fun of BMC. Not sure why you care so much.

VG2014, I'm sorry for your negative experiences on the residency side of things. I can't speak to the ethics of the institution.

I can only speak as a resident who has rotated with the pain department at some point in the last three years and still do regularly keep in contact with some of the pain attendings and fellows. Was not a resident there.

Yes, in the late 2000s, early 2010s, there was an anesthesiologist who fabricated a whole bunch of data and no one is proud of him. He was dismissed, served jail time and certainly won't practice again at Baystate. Questionable as to whether or not he will practice medicine again... The anesthesia and pain programs will talk about him and certainly don't try to cover him up. However, he certainly is not reflective of the other pain faculty at the program, nor their ethics.

There are about 10 pain faculty who rotate through the clinic with three fellows per year. All of them are thoroughly invested in fellow education and none are malignant. Some are more effective teachers than other. Fellows get a pretty great volume of bread and butter procedures, and each logged around 1000-1200 interventions (pre-covid). No pump program. A couple of kyphos per fellow, 10 ish stims including of SCS and DRG combined. They're looking to implant a PNS program according to one of the fellows who is there now. Introduced vertiflex but not sure of the numbers there. When I was on the interview trail, these numbers seemed about average for middle of the road programs. Obviously, the heavy hitters will do quite a bit more implantable work, but lets face it, not everyone is a candidate for those programs.

Implant and OR experience a bit weak according to graduated fellows, but those who have graduated have gone into their first jobs stating this, and were able to pick up the skills on the job if they wanted to do their own implants. Facilities are a little dated. Not a ton of research support here as a result of the research fabrication in the past. Fewer academic appointments from past grads.

Clinic is more in line with a private practice experience. 40 min new evals 20 min followups. Takes some time initially, but fellows were able to develop efficiency to get through the day. Eightish exam rooms, one c-arm room. ROtate with pain psych, neurosurgery, rheum, etc. One resident rotates through at a time, so you'll get some help from them too.

Springfield itself isn't the nicest place, but 10 minutes south is Longmeadow which is a comfy middle class neighborhood which is completely safe, 20 minutes north is Northampton which is a fun little college town, and thirty minutes south is West Hartford which is quite a bit more upscale. Hospital campus is safe, and never really felt unsafe walking around there.

Program has a preference for anesthesia MD/DO. Occasionally PMR will get an interview if someone they know can vouch for you, and they have had two PMR fellows in the past five years. No EM/Psych/other residents. Usually take one resident internally.

Call was one in three weekends only during the day. No fellows responsible for overnight call. Usually 2-3 new consults to see. Yes there is APS management, but normally only involves 1-2 epidurals plus nerve block followup from the previous day. Round just at Baystate Medical Center.

Overall, fellows seemed happy, have been able to get jobs in places they want (Bay area CA, Orlando, NJ, several have stayed on as faculty too). Certainly not a big name with huge exposure, but a reasonable enough middle of the line option.
I would say a low tier program in an bad location. That's not saying much anyway.

Not like a hot knife through butter. I would imagine the analogy of an octopus being prepared for sushi, having its head cut off while the tentacles are still wiggling...
Are you sure you are not one of the BMC grads who failed the boards several times and never got Board certified?
That would explain your passionate defense of BMC.

Not like a hot knife through butter. I would imagine the analogy of an octopus being prepared for sushi, having its head cut off while the tentacles are still wiggling...
Are you sure you are not one of the BMC grads who failed the boards several times and never got Board certified?
That would explain you passionate defense of BMC.

Lol. BMC trained pain docs are doing pretty from what I can see tho.

BLM my man. (Baystate Lives Matter)
You must be a program director at Baystate. Just for the record, I do not mind going on record and comment on the poor quality of education, patient care and potentially fraudulent practice at Baystate.
Although, Baystate lives matter, that is not an excuse for low quality education, care and fraud. If you located in a poor part of the state and have problems recruiting residents, faculty and staff, if you have had to resort to fraud to meet your budget cuts, just be honest about it. Consider starting a program of "Poverty development in Springfield, Mass"

You must be a program director at Baystate. Just for the record, I do not mind going on record and comment on the poor quality of education, patient care and potentially fraudulent practice at Baystate.

Personally, I hope this thread continues for another page or two at least...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
lol not even close. The only cord you'll ever strike is the spinal cord from your poorly executed procedural technique.
I hope then, for the sake of your patient's, it's your spinal cord.

lol not even close. The only cord you'll ever strike is the spinal cord from your poorly executed procedural technique.

BOOYAH!

Reactions: 1 user
Try a little " Poverty Simulation" dance during an ESI procedure an you will have even better results...

What is a poverty simulation dance?
That’s what Chudat et al do at Baystate to celebrate life in poverty. Ask him for details. Or maybe look at the Baystate Medical Center website as to what happens during poverty simulation.

How does one become this vindictive about a Pain Fellowship without having actually trained there?

Is this really that big of a deal to you?

I'm remembering that one chick who attended that one in Florida who is now worth something like $37,293,173.58 for whistleblowing.

Reactions: 1 user
How does one become this vindictive about a Pain Fellowship without having actually trained there?

I'm remembering that one chick who attended that one in Florida who is now worth something like $37,293,173.58 for whistleblowing.

she has also been banned. she PM'd me and asked that i delete some of the advice i offered her. there are some weirdos out there. one poster even has some naked person chained to an old tree as his avatar

she has also been banned. she PM'd me and asked that i delete some of the advice i offered her. there are some weirdos out there. one poster even has some naked person chained to an old tree as his avatar

Conan on the Tree of Woe!

I know nothing of this poverty simulation, but teaching healthcare providers about treating impoverished patients isn't a bad thing.

No clue how it's rolled out and delivered but that is a unique patient population that has it's own unique issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Conan on the Tree of Woe!

I know nothing of this poverty simulation, but teaching healthcare providers about treating impoverished patients isn't a bad thing.

No clue how it's rolled out and delivered but that is a unique patient population that has it's own unique issues.

conan. of course. how could i have missed it?

Y'all keep arguin...

Wait wait wait.. is there a link to this whistleblower story?

Also, OP, wtf is poverty simulation? Is it an actual rotation at Baystate LMAOOO?