Baylor vs. Dell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marblecarrotcake

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Baylor
Pros
  • Established and prestigious
  • In the TX Medical Center, lots of great world-class hospitals
  • More opportunities for basic science research (not really what I'm interested in, but could be cool?)
  • Known STEP and Match history
  • Also more international opportunities
  • Diverse population
  • Pre-existing ties with the school and area

Cons
  • Traditional, academic
  • Reputation of gunners
  • In Houston (I live here now and it's alright, some things drive my crazy tho)
  • Administration seems more distant
  • Competition with other students in med center

Dell
Pros
  • New, cutting edge focus on innovation and value based care
  • 1 yr basic science curriculum, opportunity to get dual degree in 3rd year
  • Very excited and engaged staff
  • Students seem really happy/hyped for school
  • Austin is a cool city to live in

Cons
  • New, so we would be the guinea pigs still in the 2nd year
  • Less hospitals to rotate, focus on community based care
  • No reputation, esp outside of TX
  • No known STEP or Match results
  • Less pre-existing opportunities for research, clubs or service - you would need to build your own (which could be cool founding stuff)
  • No vacation (not a serious con, but there's barely any breaks)

Summary:
I like the vibe and mission of Dell, I'm just not sure if I'd be willing to give up the prestige and security of Baylor. Seems like a high risk, high reward situation though, so I might be willing to take that gamble. I'd really like to get into a residency out of this state tho, and it concerns me that nobody even knows what Dell is.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah... Dell seems nice, and it really looks like you're maybe trying to find some justification to go there. However, beyond the high risk/reward you mention (which, in reality, what "reward" are we actually talking about here, if any?) there doesn't seem to be one reason beyond "Austin" to choose Dell over Baylor. The latter is an incredible institution and, without a doubt, will give you a leg up in almost anything in your journey to becoming a physician. I think choosing Dell over Baylor would be very unwise, in this X vs. Y scenario.

Edit: but hey, if you're really sold on Dell, that's your prerogative! The above is only my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
Baylor unless you need to be in Austin for family reasons, etc, or there is a significant financial difference.

A strong recommendation to ignore any feelings you have about "curriculum" or "mission" between these two institutions.