Baylor MSTP vs Cornell MSTP (Tri-I) vs UCSF (MD-only) Neuroscience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baylor MSTP vs Tri-I vs UCSF (MD-Only) (Vote for 2 different choices)

• Baylor MSTP

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tri-I

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • UCSF MD only

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SoCalThinkBLUE

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am fortunate to be in the position to choose between these great programs. I would like some advice in picking between these programs/institutions. I am originally from SoCal, so staying in state is preferable, but not a deal breaker and I am willing to go anywhere in the US for my training.

I've spoken to UCSF about their internal MSTP admissions, but it seems very unlikely that I would be able to get an interview based on email conversations with the program manager. I am interested in neuroscience. I do not have a partner or SO.

BCM MSTP

This is my top choice right now. I think that the environment of the TMC is an ideal place. I spent a summer there doing research, and I really enjoyed my time. I met good mentors there, and it really seems like a place where I can thrive as a student throughout my training

Pros:

- TMC, there seems to be at least one of everything going on here. Has excellent clinical opportunities available to students at either Ben Taub County, DeBakey VA, or CHI St. Lukes
- Multiple possible neuroscience mentors here. However, same could be said at other institutions.
- Program leadership seems to be very nurturing
- Cost of Living is really good compared to my other options
- Seems like a great place to eventually settle down. 8 years is a long time and its hard to say if I might meet someone in that period of time.

Cons:
- BCM might have less med school/research prestige than other options (could this affect residency applications?)
- Weather, A summer in the Houston humidity can be very miserable without A/C
- Didn't have the best rapport with potential classmates at second look (might be due to the circumstances of people being unsure; or just meeting people for the 1st time)
-Maybe expensive to maintain a car. (However, am used to this since I am from SoCal)

Tri-I MSTP

This would be my second choice right now.

Pros:
- Excellent Reserach Opportunities
- Excellent Program Leadership
- Slightly more Prestigious medical school/
- Subsidized Housing
- NY/Presbyterian Hospital has excellent clinical opportunities

Cons:
- The appeal of living in NYC doesn't seem to interest me.
- Cost of Living ($$$)
-Again, poor rapport with other students at accepted student weekend. (again may be the case where people are unsure and meeting them for the first time)
-Weather, I have never had to live in a place where it snowed or had a "real" winter before

UCSF MD-Only
An MD only position. Conversations with the program manager of the MSTP seemed to suggest that I would not be able to be accepted into the MSTP if I applied internally as an MS1

Pros:
- Likely, the most prestigious school of my options (how important is this?)
- In state school. Would be closer to family/friends
- Excellent research opportunities
- Seemed to get along well with current students (was during interviews though/did not have chance to attend second look)
-Weather is beautiful.

Cons:
- Cost of Living in SF is a serious issue ($$$$$)
- Since not an MSTP offer, I would likely have to take out loans to finance education
- Difficult Housing situation (based on conversations with the multiple students in the program that I met during interviews)

Thank you for all your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! This is a great situation to be in. If I were in your shoes, I would likely also be choosing between Tri-I and BCM. I lived in H-town for many years and I know what its about. TMC is great. If I were in your shoes, I would pick Tri-I and not think twice about it lol. But I've been to NYC and NYC >>>>>>>>> Houston. That doesnt seem to appeal to you. If you're thinking about settling down in Texas, and especially in Houston long term then the med school name wont matter because Baylor is arguably the biggest name in Texas and you'll have all the opportunities to network and stay in Texas coming out of Baylor.

That being said, it's a difficult decision. Just my 2c.

Reactions: 1 users
After looking at the poll results, I think they may be biased since you're asking in the MD/PhD forum e.g. for MD only, UCSF would probably get more votes than the other two on the pre-allopathic forum. Also, I interviewed for UCSF's TICR program Training in Clinical Research Home ~2 years ago and wrote my personal statement on the ways that it would allow me to circumvent an MD/PhD; if your research interests are more translational like mine, then it would be worth considering.

Last edited: