Barry U Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TimmyTurner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
calling all current Barry students - I interviewed today but because it was exam periods, I did not meet or speak with one current student. Disappointing and somewhat poor planning on their part. Can anyone who is a current student leave some feedback? Overall, are you happy with your decision? Any thing you wish you knew?

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance! Oh, and good luck on those exams

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So no Barry students have jumped on this feed to help?

BUMP

Also Timmy I interviewed at Barry and talked with quite a few students if you have specific questions

Some of the schools are poorly represented on this forum. You might consider contacting one of their admissions representatives and asking if there are any students you could speak to. I don't think that would be out of the question or unreasonable.

Reactions: 2 users
Some of the schools are poorly represented on this forum. You might consider contacting one of their admissions representatives and asking if there are any students you could speak to. I don't think that would be out of the question or unreasonable.

I had a few Barry students message me, they confirmed that they have a small presence on this site. The two students that messaged me both had nothing but positive feedback

Anybody still interested in the Barry podiatry program? I am a current Barry podiatry student, starting my second year. If you have any questions please ask, I will try to answer you!

Great program so far!

Reactions: 4 users
As a current Barry U student, I would emphatically say DO NOT GO HERE.

Especially as a first year, you will face the most insulting, condescending and rude treatment you could imagine experiencing at a self-proclaimed professional medical school.

Add to this the fact that the professors themselves admit that some residencies will not consider you just because you are a Barry student.

The only reason (and this has been confirmed by many of my peers, and a few faculty) to go to this school over the others, is the beaches. THAT'S IT. So if you want to party, pick Barry. If you want to get an education and a profession, go elsewhere.

Especially as a first year, you will face the most insulting, condescending and rude treatment you could imagine experiencing at a self-proclaimed professional medical school.

Add to this the fact that the professors themselves admit that some residencies will not consider you just because you are a Barry student.

The only reason (and this has been confirmed by many of my peers, and a few faculty) to go to this school over the others, is the beaches. THAT'S IT. So if you want to party, pick Barry. If you want to get an education and a profession, go elsewhere.

....wut...

Sounds awfully familiar to a poster bashing Barry on here a few months (years?) ago.

EDIT: maybe this?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...iversity-school-of-podiatric-medicine.980745/

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/barry-university-concerns-please-help.784488/

:troll:

Sounds like someone got bad grades at Barry... member since yesterday?..... yeah I am really going to believe you. Study harder and stop whining.

You know...as a third year heading into clinics and soon externships, I'm not taking any risks with faculty finding out I'm telling others not to attend my own school, so yes, I made a new account. And no, those other posts were not me, lol, although one of them only says "cxb"?

As for my grades, you get out what you put into pretty much any school. That's true for Barry too, and I'm very "middle of the pack", which I'm okay with. I'm above 3.0 and I'll admit I'm very happy with that even if others are much higher (and some much lower). It's pointless to say these things though, since I can't prove them and I'm sure you'll call me me a liar and insult me just because I'm voicing opinions you don't agree with. (hey, maybe you should apply to work at Barry!!)

The problem with Barry isn't grades. It's how they -will- treat you and the bad facilities. One of the favorite sayings my class has is "Barry Cares" :laugh:
You can get grades at any school if you put your mind to it. But if you really want to go somewhere where the Anatomy professor shuts down the whole lab, which was scheduled to be open lab for students to study, for the entire week before a practical (literally because one student told her that a TA taught her something different from what Dr. Singh said was correct) then by all means, apply to Barry. This wasn't an isolated incident by any means.

Having told two of my friends who attend MD schools how our classes are run they are all appalled and in disbelief. Say what you guys want about my opinion, but the way the faculty treats students is a matter of record. Apply at your own risk.

P.S. I really like your comment "stop whining". Very constructive and well thought out. I thought this was a thread for feedback? Maybe we only accept positive things and try to ignore the bad. Well I'm sorry for being such a "negative nancy" :p

A little bit of bright light: Second year here was better, but unless other schools are whipping you, I still recommend against this school.

I'm not sure why "thisisnotme2018" has such strong issues with Barry University but I have had a very positive experience at the school thus far. I agree that some of the professors in the first year are unprofessional but my podiatric education as a whole in the first two years has been very rewarding. The truth is you need to learn that no matter where you go you will find people that you like to work with and people that you don't like. However, its more important to get over yourself and do what you are in school to do and that is to get an education. I have spoken to students at other schools about the basic sciences and I know first hand students who were kicked out without even a second chance. Barry as a whole doesn't want to lose students (obviously) and makes it possible for students to get an education, get help if needed and not fail out.
The APMLE part I average for Barry was 84% (last year was 90%) compared to KUSPM which was in the 70%s so they must be doing something right to keep us at or above the national boards average. Overall, I would recommend Barry to students who humble, hard working and know how to take advantage of the opportunity that they are given.

I'm not sure why "thisisnotme2018" has such strong issues with Barry University but I have had a very positive experience at the school thus far. I agree that some of the professors in the first year are unprofessional but my podiatric education as a whole in the first two years has been very rewarding. The truth is you need to learn that no matter where you go you will find people that you like to work with and people that you don't like. However, its more important to get over yourself and do what you are in school to do and that is to get an education. I have spoken to students at other schools about the basic sciences and I know first hand students who were kicked out without even a second chance. Barry as a whole doesn't want to lose students (obviously) and makes it possible for students to get an education, get help if needed and not fail out.
The APMLE part I average for Barry was 84% (last year was 90%) compared to KUSPM which was in the 70%s so they must be doing something right to keep us at or above the national boards average. Overall, I would recommend Barry to students who humble, hard working and know how to take advantage of the opportunity that they are given.

I am just a premed so can't say too much about Barry, but my thought is the easier you can make life for yourself the better.

A simple analogy is like the Caribbean schools vs Idk, like Harvard school of medicine, it's over exaggerated, I know.

Someone, once they get into Harvard can kinda sit around and do minimal work, scrape by boards, and still get a residency, on the other hand, the Caribbean student has to put in 200 % of their best effort at all times.

So are there programs which will give it to you easier than Barry?

Couple misconceptions with this idea:

Whether you go to an "easier" program or not (if the even exist), future success is still dictated by your performance. The grading is still just as hard.

Just look at APMLE board pass rates for evidence of that.

I don't believe any of the 8 other podiatry schools have a program that will "Give it easier" to you than Barry. I also don't believe Barry grades harder or easier for that matter.

If you get into Harvard versus a Carib, chances are you'll still be working your ass off just to pass at Harvard. The quality of education and support system may be different, but it will require the same amount of effort.

I am just a premed so can't say too much about Barry, but my thought is the easier you can make life for yourself the better.

A simple analogy is like the Caribbean schools vs Idk, like Harvard school of medicine, it's over exaggerated, I know.

Someone, once they get into Harvard can kinda sit around and do minimal work, scrape by boards, and still get a residency, on the other hand, the Caribbean student has to put in 200 % of their best effort at all times.

So are there programs which will give it to you easier than Barry?

Couple misconceptions with this idea:

Whether you go to an "easier" program or not (if the even exist), future success is still dictated by your performance. The grading is still just as hard.

Just look at APMLE board pass rates for evidence of that.

I don't believe any of the 8 other podiatry schools have a program that will "Give it easier" to you than Barry. I also don't believe Barry grades harder or easier for that matter.

If you get into Harvard versus a Carib, chances are you'll still be working your ass off just to pass at Harvard. The quality of education and support system may be different, but it will require the same amount of effort.

Yeah what I was trying to refer to was your last line "The quality of education and support system may be different" , I think you interpreted what I was trying to say incorrectly because I worded it poorly. Basically if another school does more hold handing, it will be easier, not as far as exam or course load wise but more support. I know Harvard and a lot of the top schools for undergrad hand hold and do almost everything in the professor's power to get you good grades. Other schools like JHU and UC Berkeley do quite the opposite. So in the realm of things it is easier to get good grades in Harvard undergrad vs JHU (even though the course material is about the same). From what I have heard Barry is kind of like this, its all on your own effort, you sometimes may have to put the extra mile to compensate for a professor who doesn't teach well.

The only thing I meant about Harvard vs Caribbean was the score needed to get into a residency. In Harvard getting by with a 70% in ur classes and a passing USMLE score will get u A residency, but Caribbean you have to be alot better than that.

Reactions: 1 user
I want to try and keep this is as short as possible. These are obviously just my opinions, feelings and experiences limited to the first few semesters. I'm a Barry student and these are some things I hate about it.

-There are very, very limited places to study. There is no room or building designated solely for podiatry students. We are treated like the bottom of the barrel. Our first and second year classrooms are used by the nursing and undergrad students, sitting outside the classroom is difficult because the nursing students are so loud...seriously it's like a requirement to get in the damn program. The library is small, outdated and freezing. The library has power outlets on the wall, but do they work? No. Also, it only stays open until midnight during the week which can be annnoying with the amount of studying that needs to get done. There is one building which is 24 hours, it's freezing, the power outlets don't work and they leave the music on full blast. The pod building is not on the main campus, it stands alone. You can stay in the lounge but it is seriously creepy at night and feels unsafe. During the day, the pod building is taken over by the PA students. A new podiatry building is supposed to be done in a few years...so far all they've shown us is a sketch of it. They took away a parking lot which was used by us, so good luck trying to find a spot after 9am.

-Faculty. Where to start. [Gross and LEA prof] - rude, unprofessional and just unpleasant to be around. She reads from a book written by an old anatomy professor, God help you if you question anything in that book. She intimidates the first years, not sure why. She'll come in every once in awhile, call the class idiots and walk out in a huff. She has her favorites. Sits on her ass the majority of the lab or just leaves. [Physiology prof] should not be allowed to teach, period. Never have I heard anyone say they learned a single thing from him. He's pompous and unnecessarily confusing. It's actually very common for him to send out remediation letters to about a third of the class. He can't teach and he knows it, I find it incredible that the school doesn't see him as a problem. Another blunder they made was to have [redacted] teach pathology instead of hiring someone qualified to teach it. He's a nice guy but is a trained neurosurgeon, he's absolutely terrible at pathology.

- the fact that Barry doesn't fix any problem. [redacted] is delusional, he just thinks everything at Barry is absolutely the best. He fails to realize how discontent the students are with the less than sub par facilities, people who have no business teaching and how the board passing rate has actually fallen largely due to these reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
I want to try and keep this is as short as possible. These are obviously just my opinions, feelings and experiences limited to the first few semesters. I'm a Barry student and these are some things I hate about it.

-There are very, very limited places to study. There is no room or building designated solely for podiatry students. We are treated like the bottom of the barrel. Our first and second year classrooms are used by the nursing and undergrad students, sitting outside the classroom is difficult because the nursing students are so loud...seriously it's like a requirement to get in the damn program. The library is small, outdated and freezing. The library has power outlets on the wall, but do they work? No. Also, it only stays open until midnight during the week which can be annnoying with the amount of studying that needs to get done. There is one building which is 24 hours, it's freezing, the power outlets don't work and they leave the music on full blast. The pod building is not on the main campus, it stands alone. You can stay in the lounge but it is seriously creepy at night and feels unsafe. During the day, the pod building is taken over by the PA students. A new podiatry building is supposed to be done in a few years...so far all they've shown us is a sketch of it. They took away a parking lot which was used by us, so good luck trying to find a spot after 9am.

-Faculty. Where to start. (gross and LEA)- rude, unprofessional and just unpleasant to be around. She reads from a book written by an old anatomy professor, God help you if you question anything in that book. She intimidates the first years, not sure why. She'll come in every once in awhile, call the class idiots and walk out in a huff. She has her favorites. Sits on her ass the majority of the lab or just leaves. (physiology) should not be allowed to teach, period. Never have I heard anyone say they learned a single thing from him. He's pompous and unnecessarily confusing. It's actually very common for him to send out remediation letters to about a third of the class. He can't teach and he knows it, I find it incredible that the school doesn't see him as a problem. Another blunder they made was to have ... teach pathology instead of hiring someone qualified to teach it. He's a nice guy but is a trained neurosurgeon, he's absolutely terrible at pathology.

- the fact that Barry doesn't fix any problem. ... is delusional, he just thinks everything at Barry is absolutely the best. He fails to realize how discontent the students are with the less than sub par facilities, people who have no business teaching and how the board passing rate has actually fallen largely due to these reasons.

I will cosign all of these concerns, with the comment that for the few professors I have seen, just play the game they want you to and you'll be fine. Our class has been really good about not questioning the aforementioned professors. Apparently the class above us did not heed that warning and had hell to pay for it. Trivial and stupid yes, but tens of thousands of years of human evolution, and we still feel the need to touch the wall of the 'wet paint' sign- you know, just to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

This has been confirmed, however-
Most of the residencies that will not consider BUSPM students are in PA, NYC, NJ. All within a 50 mile radius of Temple or NYCPM.

Find out how many non-Barry students are at any of the Florida residency programs (Mercy, Aventura, Jackson North, Boyton, etc...). They are exclusively Barry residencies. Some go so far as to even explicitly say so on the CASPR site.

So you can also say that some residencies will not consider you just because you are a (Temple, NYCPM, etc) student.