Banfield Student Job Program 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liz2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone had applied for the student job program this year had heard anything back. I interviewed in January and now its March and I have not heard one way or the other so I was just wondering. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone had applied for the student job program this year had heard anything back. I interviewed in January and now its March and I have not heard one way or the other so I was just wondering. Thanks!
That happened to me when I applied a few years ago. Call them ASAP.

OK I will call tomorrow then, I was giving them until the end of February because they said that's when decisions would be made but now that it's March I'm getting antsy

Members don't see this ad :)
OK I will call tomorrow then, I was giving them until the end of February because they said that's when decisions would be made but now that it's March I'm getting antsy

I called them this week because I had heard from one of the clinics I ranked on the list but not corporate. They said there still waiting on some of the practices to give them their decision information so they can send offers. Regardless, it doesn't hurt to call.

I sent them an email on Friday. This was their response:

"We are still waiting for feedback from the hospitals on our recommended students. We are hoping ot be able to provide more information this week.
Thank you for your patience!"

And yes they did spell "to" wrong. I actually just noticed it.

Reactions: 1 user
I finally got my acceptance phone call from corporate today. So don't lose hope if you haven't heard yet

I called this week and was told all decisions have been made and that offers have been/are being sent to each location's first choice by now, if not already the alternates. They hope to have all decisions (final yes or no) sent out by tomorrow. The woman I spoke with was able to tell me that I was only on the waiting list and that I wasn't one of the people that just hadn't gotten their offer call from corporate yet. However, she couldn't really tell me how far down on the list I was or if I was an alternate for my preferred locations. Offers and acceptances started three weeks ago, so I suspect that if you haven't heard a peep, you may be an alternate or not accepted. At least that is what the woman I spoke with made it sound like.

They seem really disorganized and no one really knows what's going on, so hopefully I'm wrong and we get calls for our top choices.

Edit: I expect people will start getting the 'scramble' calls within the next week or so though...when they ask if you can do the SJP in some random location. Last year a friend was offered a spot across the country.

The woman I spoke with also was able to tell me that each location I preferenced had already made offers to their selected student, 2/3 students accepted, one had yet to respond as of the day I called.

"We are still waiting for feedback from the hospitals on our recommended students. We are hoping ot be able to provide more information this week.

Do you mind sharing the email address you used? I don't plan on harassing them and I'm already assuming I won't get an alternate offer for any location I'd be willing to work at, but I'd like to keep them honest about actually telling me no this year. I think I waited until mid to end April before finally calling to find out I didn't get it

Last edited:
They seem really disorganized and no one really knows what's going on, so hopefully I'm wrong and we get calls for our top choices.

Edit: I expect people will start getting the 'scramble' calls within the next week or so though...when they ask if you can do the SJP in some random location. Last year a friend was offered a spot across the country.

The woman I spoke with also was able to tell me that each location I preferenced had already made offers to their selected student, 2/3 students accepted, one had yet to respond as of the day I called.

Do you mind sharing the email address you used? I don't plan on harassing them and I'm already assuming I won't get an alternate offer for any location I'd be willing to work at, but I'd like to keep them honest about actually telling me no this year. I think I waited until mid to end April before finally calling to find out I didn't get it

The email address is

[email protected]

They came to my college and had a dinner and presentation for us. I debated going back and forth and whether or not I wanted to do this program but after this I think I will just avoid them next year and do something different. I really want to do large animal but I wanted some small animal experience so that is why this program seemed great. Now here I am in the beginning of March as a first year trying to find something to do this summer and everyone is already booked/full for the summer for vet students. My main problem is that I am going out of the country for like 2 weeks at the end of June/beginning of July so they probably bumped me down for that.

The email address is

[email protected]

They came to my college and had a dinner and presentation for us. I debated going back and forth and whether or not I wanted to do this program but after this I think I will just avoid them next year and do something different. I really want to do large animal but I wanted some small animal experience so that is why this program seemed great. Now here I am in the beginning of March as a first year trying to find something to do this summer and everyone is already booked/full for the summer for vet students. My main problem is that I am going out of the country for like 2 weeks at the end of June/beginning of July so they probably bumped me down for that.
Don't worry, I'm in the same boat. I have an externship booked for the month of August, which makes it harder to find a paying job for just 2 months of the summer. That, and I desperately need something paid since I haven't had a single paycheck since two Christmas breaks ago. This is also my last summer break and I'm told I need to be getting research and it's just not working out for me. I can only hope I can land a temp/seasonal job somewhere.

I actually really, really did want the Banfield SJP. Besides the pay, I wanted to foster connections with a company so widespread because I figured it could only help my career. I think the fact that I mentioned I was interested in the program because I wanted to explore avenues other than zoo med put me in the 'no' pile.

Long time no see all !

I also applied and am waiting to hear back from Banfield. I called about 2 weeks ago and heard the same thing about the fact that they were waiting to hear back from the individual hospitals. However, I saw on Facebook that a girl in my class already heard back and accepted a position.

Should I be losing hope? I have no idea what else to do with my summer.

Long time no see all !

I also applied and am waiting to hear back from Banfield. I called about 2 weeks ago and heard the same thing about the fact that they were waiting to hear back from the individual hospitals. However, I saw on Facebook that a girl in my class already heard back and accepted a position.

Should I be losing hope? I have no idea what else to do with my summer.
Again, this is just what I was told, but most offers have been sent out and accepted by now. A small amount of hospitals are still in the process of making selections and calling their choices. I would definitely try to find a backup plan just in case.

If you call the recruitment center, they can check the locations you applied to and see if they have made picks or not. Like I said earlier, I was able to find out that 2/3 of the locations I preferenced had made offers that were accepted, and one had yet to hear from the student. I was told I am on the waitlist. The Banfield rep at my school did say that she didn't hear back until mid-March both times she applied, but I was definitely told decisions have been going out for 3 or so weeks now.

Edit: Also, I think I heard there were 1000+ applications for 300ish spots this year. I knew it was competitive, but I was surprised that such a high percentage of vet students apply for it.

I wish we'd get real feedback on why we weren't selected. Our campus reps have told me they seek out small animal focused students who demonstrate an interest in working for Banfield after graduation, however a classmate of mine who is very much swine focused was offered a spot at the Banfield right by our school (aka extremely competitive because all the vet students want to stay in town). So who knows really :shrug: That, and if you already did the SJP once, you have a really high chance of getting it again. I was told I knocked my interview out of the park, which is frustrating. Time to figure out plan B.

Last edited:
Again, this is just what I was told, but most offers have been sent out and accepted by now. A small amount of hospitals are still in the process of making selections and calling their choices. I would definitely try to find a backup plan just in case.

If you call the recruitment center, they can check the locations you applied to and see if they have made picks or not. Like I said earlier, I was able to find out that 2/3 of the locations I preferenced had made offers that were accepted, and one had yet to hear from the student. I was told I am on the waitlist. The Banfield rep at my school did say that she didn't hear back until mid-March both times she applied, but I was definitely told decisions have been going out for 3 or so weeks now.

Edit: Also, I think I heard there were 1000+ applications for 300ish spots this year. I knew it was competitive, but I was surprised that such a high percentage of vet students apply for it.

I wish we'd get real feedback on why we weren't selected. Our campus reps have told me they seek out small animal focused students who demonstrate an interest in working for Banfield after graduation, however a classmate of mine who is very much swine focused was offered a spot at the Banfield right by our school (aka extremely competitive because all the vet students want to stay in town). So who knows really :shrug: That, and if you already did the SJP once, you have a really high chance of getting it again. I was told I knocked my interview out of the park, which is frustrating. Time to figure out plan B.

That was helpful, thanks for letting me know.

I'll call Monday and ask about the specific hospitals I applied to.

For Plan B, all I have so far is that I applied to a couple VetCor hospitals that do a similar program (you work as a tech, but get mentor experience as well), and the recruiter I talked to was very nice and communicative. She told me to call her in a week if I didn't hear back from the individual hospitals! I was thinking like wow I talked to Banfield months ago and didn't hear anything, and this woman is expecting I hear back in a week! So fingers crossed this works out.

Members don't see this ad :)
That was helpful, thanks for letting me know.

I'll call Monday and ask about the specific hospitals I applied to.

For Plan B, all I have so far is that I applied to a couple VetCor hospitals that do a similar program (you work as a tech, but get mentor experience as well), and the recruiter I talked to was very nice and communicative. She told me to call her in a week if I didn't hear back from the individual hospitals! I was thinking like wow I talked to Banfield months ago and didn't hear anything, and this woman is expecting I hear back in a week! So fingers crossed this works out.
There are a few hospitals around me through them. I should try that as well. I've never heard of them before.

There are a few hospitals around me through them. I should try that as well. I've never heard of them before.
Haven't head of them either, but it turns out the vets I see in my hometown are part of their group! I'll see if they can offer any opportunities.

@heyyimhayley can you tell us how you heard about the program/how to apply?

Don't feel too down if you didn't get a spot. There are a lot of applicants, and I think a fair number of hospitals have former employees who apply (which is what I did). I think in most of those cases that is who the hospital is going to want, as long as they have a good relationship with that person.

Got the official rejection email today. Glad to see they're putting more effort into communication this year at least!

Got the official rejection email today. Glad to see they're putting more effort into communication this year at least!
Was it from headquarters or the local places? I still haven't got anything yet. If it was from the local place than I probably won't hear anything for a few days thanks to Blizzard2k17.

Was it from headquarters or the local places? I still haven't got anything yet. If it was from the local place than I probably won't hear anything for a few days thanks to Blizzard2k17.
Corporate. A really generic 'thanks, but no thanks' message.

I actually emailed the VetCor recruiting people and already spoke with someone on the phone today, and I was also told the hospitals in my area would get back to me within the week, so you may want to contact them.

I called Banfield today. Apparently only 1 hospital of the 3 hasn't been filled yet and the student hasn't made their decision yet. I wish they had a deadline on how long you can take to make your decision. Its a paying job ($15 an hour in NY) with veterinary medicine. If Banfield called me right now, I would take it.

I called Banfield today. Apparently only 1 hospital of the 3 hasn't been filled yet and the student hasn't made their decision yet. I wish they had a deadline on how long you can take to make your decision. Its a paying job ($15 an hour in NY) with veterinary medicine. If Banfield called me right now, I would take it.
I thought during one year they had told students to respond in a certain time frame...I hope you get it. Good luck!

Haven't head of them either, but it turns out the vets I see in my hometown are part of their group! I'll see if they can offer any opportunities.

@heyyimhayley can you tell us how you heard about the program/how to apply?

Sorry I haven't been going on SDN at all so I didn't see this!
Looks like you were able to contact them - best of luck!

But for anyone else - this is their website: Students & New Grads
The email addresses for the recruiters are at the bottom of the page, just contact the one for the area you are interested in.

I was rejected from Banfield.

But the good news is I officially was offered a position at a VetCor hospital this summer :)

To add to my last post, Banfield still hasn't rejected me yet so I'm assuming that the one hospital hasn't been filled. It's probably too late to try the Vet Cor hospital thing this summer but I'm definitely going to look into that for next year.

Sorry I haven't been going on SDN at all so I didn't see this!
Looks like you were able to contact them - best of luck!

But for anyone else - this is their website: Students & New Grads
The email addresses for the recruiters are at the bottom of the page, just contact the one for the area you are interested in.

I was rejected from Banfield.

But the good news is I officially was offered a position at a VetCor hospital this summer :)
Congrats! I was never contacted by any VetCor hospitals but luckily I was offered something elsewhere. Thank you for sharing the information.

To add to my last post, Banfield still hasn't rejected me yet so I'm assuming that the one hospital hasn't been filled. It's probably too late to try the Vet Cor hospital thing this summer but I'm definitely going to look into that for next year.
I had to bother them to get rejected, just letting you know they don't do a very good job (at least historically) of informing students who did not get a position.

I had to bother them to get rejected, just letting you know they don't do a very good job (at least historically) of informing students who did not get a position.
I just got the email today about being rejected.

What would make you stand out as a candidate ? For banfield OR VetCor? Do they basically want someone who has been a vet tech before?