Bad stats. What do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocRDLT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a GPA of 3.01, and I recently took my MCAT and got a 490. Took the TEAS and got an 86. Dont want to particularly give excuses to my grades, but I wasnt in the right situation back then.

IM 24 right now, I cant really afford to waste more time. I've been trying to get accepted to a master or even nursing school but I havent had any luck. I've applied to 4 nursing schools and to a masters degree at morehouse medical school but didnt get accepted.

What Im I to do now? My friend says to apply to medical schools anyway. 10 MD 10 DO and hope for an interview. should I?

If not what should I do? I dont want to give up on medical school. (nursing school was a means to live while in medschool but no luck there either). I've been working as a nurse tech for over a year at emory university.
This is getting really depressing.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I have a GPA of 3.01, and I recently took my MCAT and got a 490. Took the TEAS and got an 86. Dont want to particularly give excuses to my grades, but I wasnt in the right situation back then.

IM 24 right now, I cant really afford to waste more time. I've been trying to get accepted to a master or even nursing school but I havent had any luck. I've applied to 4 nursing schools and to a masters degree at morehouse medical school but didnt get accepted.

What Im I to do now? My friend says to apply to medical schools anyway. 10 MD 10 DO and hope for an interview. should I?

If not what should I do? I dont want to give up on medical school. (nursing school was a means to live while in medschool but no luck there either). I've been working as a nurse tech for over a year at emory university.
This is getting really depressing.
1) First off, relax. :) 24, that's not old! I knew people in med school in their 30s, 40s, and 50s!

2) Have you checked LizzyM?

3) I haven't kept up with pre-med stuff in years, but can you re-take the MCAT?

4) What's your science GPA?

5) Are you an URM?

6) Nursing is a good career. For example, some anesthesiologists wish they had gone to nursing school and become a CRNA instead.

I'm 24 as well and just realized I have to postpone my MCAT until January. I may be waiting until I'm 26 to matriculate, but if you want to become a Physician you will do whatever it takes. Don't beat yourself up about this process though! I know VCOM accepts lower MCAT scores, but they usually require a higher GPA. For instance, a girl made it into their program this year with a 490 MCAT, but her GPA was around a 3.6-3.7 (It may be higher). Just from the info I have read on SDN I would stay away from MD schools with your stats, but if you retake that MCAT anything can happen... But I would try and raise your MCAT to at least a 500, but this is just my advice and take it with a grain of salt. You know yourself best and at the end of the day, these decisions will be up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to retake the MCAT.

Most medical schools use this as an indicator as to whether or not you'll be able to pass boards in medical school. Theoretically, according to the AAMC, someone who scores a 500+ on the MCAT should be able to pass their boards. This is probably part of the reason you haven't landed an acceptance to an SMP. Don't aim for 500 though, score as high as you can. The average matriculant to medical school scores higher than 500. (Source: https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/factstablea16.pdf)

IMO, you need to retake the MCAT, build your ECs, and try to apply to an SMP. Once in the SMP, KILL IT. Show medical schools you are not the same student that you used to be.

After that, you may have a shot.

There are no shortcuts in this process; do not worry about your age.

Reactions: 1 users
A post-bac should be your next step. Think about the history of your grades. You are not going to magically start cranking out As in a smp. SMPs are known to be very rigorous, risky, a last attempt to prove yourself to ADCOMS, and expensive. First you need to learn how to get As in some upper level sciences at the undergraduate level. Create a solid upward trend and retake the Mcat. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user