stupidaspiringdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im still in grade 11 and i realized i really do want to be a doctor. I wanted to be a doctor since before but i had a C- or a good passing grade in my science during 9th grade and 10th grade. However, in the start of my 11th grade, i realized i really do want to be a doctor but i only had C+ in science. I suck at science. My average grade in the first semester was only 82 and i dont think thats a good thing for me to enter med school. And can i take accountancy for my undergrad and proceed to med school after it? I guess im pretty good with accounting but i love medicine more. i want to be a surgeon

Members don't see this ad.

1. Everyone will tell you your high school grades technically don't matter other than getting into the undergrad you want.

2. You can major in whatever you want.

3. You need to work extremely hard in undergrad. The avg GPA for accepted students I believe is 3.7, and that is expected to higher by the time you're ready to apply. If you suck at science now you will just need to work harder because the work isn't going to get any easier.

Im still in grade 11 and i realized i really do want to be a doctor. I wanted to be a doctor since before but i had a C- or a good passing grade in my science during 9th grade and 10th grade. However, in the start of my 11th grade, i realized i really do want to be a doctor but i only had C+ in science. I suck at science. My average grade in the first semester was only 82 and i dont think thats a good thing for me to enter med school. And can i take accountancy for my undergrad and proceed to med school after it? I guess im pretty good with accounting but i love medicine more. i want to be a surgeon

Don't let your current grades in high school discourage you; they don't dictate whether or not you'll become a doctor. The grades you get now are only going to determine what colleges you can get into. My advice would be to maintain your interest in medicine but also to be open to anything else that interests you. Focus on keeping your grades up and getting into an accredited, four-year university; you don't need to worry about getting into medical school just yet. Try to develop strong study habits now--it'll help you later on. Science courses in college are definitely rigorous, especially if you want to get good grades, but they are absolutely doable if you work hard and prevent yourself from being distracted. You can major in any subject as long as you complete your prerequisite courses for medical school. If you want to major in accounting, go for it; major in what you enjoy most. Relax, and enjoy the rest of your time in high school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't let your current grades in high school discourage you; they don't dictate whether or not you'll become a doctor. The grades you get now are only going to determine what colleges you can get into. My advice would be to maintain your interest in medicine but also to be open to anything else that interests you. Focus on keeping your grades up and getting into an accredited, four-year university; you don't need to worry about getting into medical school just yet. Try to develop strong study habits now -- it'll help you later on. Science courses in college are definitely rigorous, especially if you want to get good grades, but they are absolutely doable if you work hard and prevent yourself from being distracted. You can major in any subject as long as you complete your prerequisite courses for medical school. If you want to major in accounting, go for it; major in what you enjoy most. Relax, and enjoy the rest of your time in high school.

Thank you :) im just pretty scared because my average grades are usually 80-83 and maybe med schools won't accept it. but if i take accountancy after highschool i can proceed to medschool right?

Thank you :) im just pretty scared because my average grades are usually 80-83 and maybe med schools won't accept it. but if i take accountancy after highschool i can proceed to medschool right?

Medical school admissions don't look at your high school grades; they're only concerned with what grades you receive in college. Yes, you can major in accounting when you're in college and still go to medical school, but like I mentioned earlier, you will also have to complete all of your prerequisites for medical school.

hey, so does that mean a person with like a 2.0 or 73 could get to a good college? cause I only have my senior year left and I'm really scared on how colleges will look at me. any ideas???????

Like it was mentioned above, you can major in whatever you want during your university years, but you still need to take pre-med courses in order to get into medical school, and those are all science classes. Medical school is also 95% science classes for the first two years. Try and find where your weaknesses are in science courses and try different studying methods. Maybe meet with your high school advisor for help.

hey, so does that mean a person with like a 2.0 or 73 could get to a good college? cause I only have my senior year left and I'm really scared on how colleges will look at me. any ideas???????

If you have trouble getting into a university straight from high school because of your grades, try a community college for the first two years and then transfer to a university for the last two years of your undergraduate career. Try and boost your GPA as much as you can until your high school graduation and work your butt off in college to get straight As. Try to make good study habits from now because school only gets harder as you progress through the years.

I truly believe that no matter what College/University you get into, you will still get a good quality education. Organic Chemistry in Harvard is no different than Organic Chemistry in another public University. Just apply to Universities that interest you, back your application up with good extra curricular activities, recommendations, etc. Try to retake the SAT/ACT if you want.

You will get in, and do well in your undergrad.

A few bad grades won't keep you out of college. I graduated with a 2.4 and still got into a decent one. High school doesn't mean **** anyway and you won't stay in contact with 95% of the people you do now after you graduate. You have plenty of time to figure out where you're going to be 4 years from now so just focus on making good memories with the kids you're with now, don't let one bad grade get the best of you, and enjoy the HS life while it lasts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I truly believe that no matter what College/University you get into, you will still get a good quality education.
Yes to this, ...

Organic Chemistry in Harvard is no different than Organic Chemistry in another public University.
...but this, I don't know. Is there any data out there to back this up or is this just a feeling? I could see either answer being reaonable.

^ Bruh, my assumption. My reasoning being because the same Material being Taught at a Harvard Organic Chem class should be almost the same as another Public University's Organic Chem class?

Overall, what I was mainly trying to say that the quality education at an organic chemistry class at Harvard would not be diminished at another Public University.

If I am wrong though...you guys correct me.

Thank you guys for replying! 8 more months and im going to graduate in highschool. I've been applying for colleges too with Accountancy as my first choice and a BS Bio as my second choice (tho my dream says the other). I also plan on applying for NUSingapore but I guess it'll be stupid of me to go abroad and just study accountancy, bc studying something about science there with my GPA is impossible haha.

So yeah, just sharing. Thank you for replying and all. God Bless y'all