Back to pain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lecithin5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how long can you be out of the pain game (ie years) before being able to go back to it? For example, if you want to do Anesthesia exclusively, but decide later to go back to pain, how easy/hard is this (assuming fellowship trained and board certified in pain)? Does it make a difference if you go back to Pain in PP vs academics vs VA etc? Anyone heard of folks doing this? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It is pretty difficult for practicing anesthesiologists to get ACGME pain fellowships from what I have seen.

It is pretty difficult for practicing anesthesiologists to get ACGME pain fellowships from what I have seen.
Thanks- what I meant to say that this person is already trained in Pain and is board certified in pain- he just happened to practice anesthesia without doing pain, but later decides to go back to practicing pain...

Members don't see this ad :)
I should think the main issue would be finding someone to give you procedural privileges, if you're an employed physician. The ideal would be to ease back into it with some cadaver courses and supervision from a colleague, I think. I don't think you need anybody's permission to start calling yourself a pain doctor again and start writing scripts.

Reactions: 1 user
You can do pretty much anything you want in your own office. I'm sure if you wanted you could get an asc to credential you. I'm pretty sure you'll have no barriers with insurance contracts as you have anesthesia basic training. If you have pain Fellowship training and it has been some time I still think they would put up no barriers.

Reactions: 1 users
How long have you not practised pain for?

Nothing has really changed in the past 5 years.

If it has been longer than that then I would personally shadow a pain physician or do an observer ship at a university for a few months to gather your bearings, get reacquainted with the new regulations and patients. You might change your mind.

Just my .02

How long have you not practised pain for?

Nothing has really changed in the past 5 years.

If it has been longer than that then I would personally shadow a pain physician or do an observer ship at a university for a few months to gather your bearings, get reacquainted with the new regulations and patients. You might change your mind.

Just my .02

Thanks everyone. Practicing about a year- I like it, but for a variety of different reasons, I may go back to 100% anesthesia. However, I don't want to 'close the door' for good on pain, just in case I decide to go back. But I fully appreciate that the longer you go without practicing (either anesthesia or pain), it just becomes that much harder to get back into it

Reactions: 1 user