AZCOM vs DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deep_Thought

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN Community! I've been lurking around the forums for quite some time now and it has really helped me with my journey towards becoming a doctor. So thank you all! I had the fortune of being accepted to four medical schools (AZCOM, DMU, TUN, and LECOM Bradenton) and I have narrowed it down to AZCOM vs DMU. I read some comparison posts from last year. I know that both schools have a strong program. I am having a hard time telling which is better in specific areas (Curriculum, Rotations, and Residencies). I am interested in competitive specialties (Radiology, Cardiology, and Orthopedics). I know I can't really go wrong with either choice. I would like some help with realistically comparing the programs in terms of preparation for the COMLEX and USLME.

AZCOM (Midwestern University)

Pros
+Beautiful campus with outdoor areas
+Easier relocation from California
+Glendale has a lot of amenities close by

Cons
-Very high tuition
-Summers are very hot

DMU (Des Moines University)

Pros
+Low housing cost
+Ultrasound integrated in cirriculum
+Very established school

Cons
-Relocating from California
-Freezing cold winters

Summary: I really like AZCOM but the almost 70k tuition and some things I have read about rotation quality are making me lean towards DMU. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, accidentally posted in the Pre-MD section instead of the Pre-DO section.
EDIT: I realized that both sections go to the same place so I'm interested in everyone's opinion.

Last edited:
DMU. That tuition is not something to sneeze at with AZCOM, and I think that they will both give you about the same opportunities.