Away Rotation Snafu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyberMaxx

Doing math in pen
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I had an away rotation scheduled in a month, but recently found out that if I do it I won't be able to do my next rotation at my home program due to a schedule overlap (my away and the subsequent rotation overlap by a week or so). I can keep the away rotation, but I will have to use the time my school allots for interviews (and therefore will have less time for actual interviews) and will have to overload my Spring semester with difficult rotations.

Due to these conflicts, I would prefer not to do the away rotation and just keep my schedule as is. I don't really want to do an away anyway, and am only doing it because I am worried not doing one will make me less competitive. Do you guys think it is reasonable for me at this point to just drop the away rotation, or should I go through with it and just try to deal with the reduced interview time because an away is really just that important?

(if it matters I have average stats and research experiences for optho and already have all of my LoRs)

Members don't see this ad.

I think it entirely depends on how much you like the program where you scheduled the away at. If you have any desire to maybe go there, keep the away. Otherwise, you can cancel it. I dont think a month ahead of time is that bad. I will say regarding a backloaded schedule, I had my emergency, subI, and neurology rotations all in the last half of fourth year due to doing a couple of aways. I still had enough time to travel abroad for a month and a half, and I matched at one of the programs I did an away at. It definitely opened doors for me. Just my two cents. Good luck!

Hi all, I had an away rotation scheduled in a month, but recently found out that if I do it I won't be able to do my next rotation at my home program due to a schedule overlap (my away and the subsequent rotation overlap by a week or so). I can keep the away rotation, but I will have to use the time my school allots for interviews (and therefore will have less time for actual interviews) and will have to overload my Spring semester with difficult rotations.

Due to these conflicts, I would prefer not to do the away rotation and just keep my schedule as is. I don't really want to do an away anyway, and am only doing it because I am worried not doing one will make me less competitive. Do you guys think it is reasonable for me at this point to just drop the away rotation, or should I go through with it and just try to deal with the reduced interview time because an away is really just that important?

(if it matters I have average stats and research experiences for optho and already have all of my LoRs)

I knew someone who decided not to do an away at a program and he still ended up getting an interview there. I think it doesn't really matter as long as you are competitive and have the required letters and things without it. Of course it may cost you that interview, but it is just one out of many programs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much @kiwi-doc and @DrZeke for your advice! I think at this point, after your input, I'm just not going to rock the boat with my fourth year schedule and not do the away rotation. I appreciate all of your help!

that's incredibly shortsighted if that's your reason