Avila University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterOf.Science.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just been accepted into a Masters in counseling at Avila University.

I'm having a big problem finding people that have graduated from this program and the adviser seems to be dancing around it. I asked her names of people who have graduated and she said she wasn't sure she could give out that information, but she would ask a professor for info.

I had to ask her again and it was another excuse.

Is this program a legit program? Does anyone know anything about this university?

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of it, but there are thousands of schools out there so that doesn't mean much. Is it regionally accredited by an organization that accredits colleges and universities ? Do Kansas and Missouri require CACREP accredited masters programs for licensure? Does this program meet the requirements for licensure in KS and MO? Those are the questions you need answers to. I'm surprised she can't connect you to alumni of the program. I would at least ask how many are accepted each year, how many complete the program out of the cohort accepted, and how many become licensed. If she can't provide you with that info, I would be concerned. Also, how are practicum placements obtained? Does the program have relationships with placements or does the student have to create one? Do you plan on staying in the area long term or moving out of state? Some states require 60 credit degrees and Avila is 48. Did they interview and accept you in the same day? Sounds like something seen in a "degree mill." We're there other students interviewed the same day?

Two concerns for me in looking at the programs website:
1. No student outcome data posted
2. The department handbook seems very thin and "barebones". 18 pages for a grad program isn't very detailed, imo.

Reactions: 1 user
I've never heard of it, but there are thousands of schools out there so that doesn't mean much. Is it regionally accredited by an organization that accredits colleges and universities ? Do Kansas and Missouri require CACREP accredited masters programs for licensure? Does this program meet the requirements for licensure in KS and MO? Those are the questions you need answers to. I'm surprised she can't connect you to alumni of the program. I would at least ask how many are accepted each year, how many complete the program out of the cohort accepted, and how many become licensed. If she can't provide you with that info, I would be concerned. Also, how are practicum placements obtained? Does the program have relationships with placements or does the student have to create one? Do you plan on staying in the area long term or moving out of state? Some states require 60 credit degrees and Avila is 48. Did they interview and accept you in the same day? Sounds like something seen in a "degree mill." We're there other students interviewed the same day?

Two concerns for me in looking at the programs website:
1. No student outcome data posted
2. The department handbook seems very thin and "barebones". 18 pages for a grad program isn't very detailed, imo.

I didn't have an interview. I did go in to talk to the graduate admissions girl several times though. During my last meeting, I discussed the fact that I couldn't find any admissions data on the website. She said she had only been there since December and that she was going to ask another faculty member. She agreed that the information should be made available.

I haven't found anything that says KS and MO require that the program is CACREP accredited. Avila is not. It is accredited by the HLC though- does that count?

I did get accepted fairly quickly- within 3 weeks of submitting my application. Acceptance rate is 71% which concerns me. The girl did say that the school does rely on tuition dollars since it is private. It's also a nonprofit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like these things could be signs that you may want to look at other programs. I went to a private christian college for a year and all they cared about was getting money from people who want to make at most 30,000 in the minsitry (which is actually what it costs to go to the college for a year). Plus if ya ever want to get the NCC certificate you NEED to graduate from a CACREP accredited program

I feel like these things could be signs that you may want to look at other programs. I went to a private christian college for a year and all they cared about was getting money from people who want to make at most 30,000 in the minsitry (which is actually what it costs to go to the college for a year). Plus if ya ever want to get the NCC certificate you NEED to graduate from a CACREP accredited program

I can't find anything that says it has to be CACREP accredited.
http://www.nbcc.org/ourcertifications

That's the website I'm looking at to see the requirements to become a national certified counselor. All it says if that you have to have a masters in counseling with the required coursework. Haven't seen anything about CACREP. Am I looking at the right thing?

Well to become licensed by your state you most likely have to graduate from a CACREP program. There's most likely no way to get around it depending on the state you live in. Plus CACREP has standards that will make you a good solidly trained counselor

Well to become licensed by your state you most likely have to graduate from a CACREP program. There's most likely no way to get around it depending on the state you live in. Plus CACREP has standards that will make you a good solidly trained counselor
"most likely" :p

CACREP Accreditation is the gold standard. Don't you want to have high quality education? Look at these links please

http://www.cacrep.org/value-of-accreditation/why-should-i-choose-an-accredited-program/

https://www.waldenu.edu/masters/ms-...re-the-benefits-of-cacrep-accredited-programs

It seems to me that Avila may be a diploma mill. I think you should try looking for CACREP programs, even if its a online program such as Capella. The MPCAC doesn't have the clout and recongization that CACREP has and if you want a higher probability of passing the NCE (National Counselor Examination for Licensure and Certification) the attend a CACREP program.​

CACREP Accreditation is the gold standard. Don't you want to have high quality education? Look at these links please

http://www.cacrep.org/value-of-accreditation/why-should-i-choose-an-accredited-program/

https://www.waldenu.edu/masters/ms-...re-the-benefits-of-cacrep-accredited-programs

It seems to me that Avila may be a diploma mill. I think you should try looking for CACREP programs, even if its a online program such as Capella. The MPCAC doesn't have the clout and recongization that CACREP has and if you want a higher probability of passing the NCE (National Counselor Examination for Licensure and Certification) the attend a CACREP program.​
Does CACREP acknowledge Counseling psych programs at the masters level? That's the program I want to complete.
I read that they don't want to accredit any program associated with psychology in its name.

I just looked at two local state schools: The University of Kansas - M.S in counseling psychology and UMKC - M.A in counseling and guidance.
Neither are accredited by CACREP.
This is really discouraging. I thought at least big name state schools would be.

There's one school close to here that is - midamerica nazarene. That school is in a strip mall...

Last edited:
Counseling Psychology most likely will not lead to licensure due to the fact that you will most likely not have the practicum and internship you would have (that would be in a counseling MA) to earn enough hours for your license. Also Counseling and Clincal Psych masters usually are there to train students in research methods and also conduct research to prepare for Ph.D programs. My question to you is; do you want to do therapy, conduct research or do both?

Avila's counseling program requires that I complete a 750 hour practicum during the program. Then, of course the 4,000 hours of experience working after I graduate to become licensed. It's an M.S 60 credit hour program. They also have an M.A, which is only 39 hours and they said is geared towards students wanting to pursue research.

I think therapy would suit me better, but teaching at a community college has also interested me. Ideally I would be able to do both. I'm not huge into research as a career. I like it, but I don't want it to be the main focus of what I'm doing. I'd probably be better off doing it in my spare time, keeping up with the latest counseling practices in order to benefit my clients. So, more of a hobby.

Counseling Psychology most likely will not lead to licensure due to the fact that you will most likely not have the practicum and internship you would have (that would be in a counseling MA) to earn enough hours for your license. Also Counseling and Clincal Psych masters usually are there to train students in research methods and also conduct research to prepare for Ph.D programs. My question to you is; do you want to do therapy, conduct research or do both?
You're being so helpful. Thank you so much. :p
Would you mind looking at this website? It's KU- where I just got my undergrad from. They have the same program as Avila- Masters in counseling psychology. I emailed the dean yesterday and asked about accreditation status and he said they've APPLIED for MCPAC status. Avila already has it. I just think it's weird that a top notch state school as large as KU would offer this program if it's not CACREP accredited.

https://epsy.ku.edu/academics/counseling-psychology/masters-degree/overview-benefits

This is what gets me- in the description of this program, it says "The master's program in counseling psychology prepares individuals aspiring to work as counselors or in counseling-related fields or those hoping to proceed on into doctoral training."

So they are implying that students can become counselors with this.

Well CACREP accreditation is given to counseling programs NOT counseling psych programs. Also it is slowly becoming harder to become a community college professor with a masters degree AND if you want to teach in a regular counseling program (not counseling psych) you may need a Ph.D in Counselor Education. The counseling psych program may end up being a problem for you if you decided to get the LPC license, if i had to choose I would relocate to pursue a CACREP accredited masters.

I am also assuming that you are from either Missouri or Kansas, so here is the licensure requirements for each state:

http://pr.mo.gov/boards/counselors/lpcslidesgeneralwebsite.pdf Missouri Requirements

http://www.counselor-license.com/states/kansas-counselor-license.html#context/api/listings/prefilter and http://ksbsrb.ks.gov/ for info about Kansas requirements

I think the best thing for you to do to have the highest opportunity to gain the LPC license is to go to a CACREP Counseling MA program

Please read this: http://www.counseling.org/knowledge-center/faqs-licensure-policies

Since you graduated from KU why not ask to meet with someone from the clinical psychology graduate program (which is well respected), the counsels psych program in the school of education , school of social welfare (for MSW) and ASK THE faculty what options you have. Find a CACREP program near you and do the same. You are 22(?) and have your whole life ahead of you. What if you decide to move to another state? You want a degree that is most flexible (which honestly is MSW) and provides solid training. Peoples lives are at stake in counseling. It's not something you just wake up and say "I want to be a counselor." Understand your options.

Please read this: http://www.counseling.org/knowledge-center/faqs-licensure-policies

Since you graduated from KU why not ask to meet with someone from the clinical psychology graduate program (which is well respected), the counsels psych program in the school of education , school of social welfare (for MSW) and ASK THE faculty what options you have. Find a CACREP program near you and do the same. You are 22(?) and have your whole life ahead of you. What if you decide to move to another state? You want a degree that is most flexible (which honestly is MSW) and provides solid training. Peoples lives are at stake in counseling. It's not something you just wake up and say "I want to be a counselor." Understand your options.

Avila is a good MS level program. A new PsyD in Clinical Psychology program is starting in KC in 2017 at The Kansas City School of Osteopathic Medicine with their first cohort beginning in 2017. They should be APA accredited after their first cohort graduated.

If a school can't easily point you towards recent graduates who are working in a capacity similar to what you want to see yourself in in approximately 5 years, then run the other way. Best predictor of future success is their record of past success with students. If they have a strong base of successful graduates who have good jobs doing what you want to do, then great. But if they can't even hook you up with some current or past students to chat about their experiences, that seems shady. What are they trying to hide? I have profs contacting me at least 1-2 times per year because they have prospective students who are interested in talking to graduates from my undergrad/masters/PhD programs, and I've put people in touch w/ colleagues from other programs for the same reason. If they can't even shoot a former student an email to ask "hey, would you mind talking w/ this person about your experience here," something is very wrong.

I've just been accepted into a Masters in counseling at Avila University.

I'm having a big problem finding people that have graduated from this program and the adviser seems to be dancing around it. I asked her names of people who have graduated and she said she wasn't sure she could give out that information, but she would ask a professor for info.

I had to ask her again and it was another excuse.

Is this program a legit program? Does anyone know anything about this university?

I am currently in my last semester at Avila University in the M.S. Counseling Psychology program. It's honestly been an amazing educational experience for me, but is important that you know what you want to do with your degree. Avila prepares you for becoming a Licensed Professional Counselor, and although one of my teachers said that it was the most marketable counseling degree, I really want to be a school counselor, but by the time I realized the different educational requirements, I was already in too deep into this program. Nonetheless, I truly believe this university prepares its students for the real world, and what it is truly like to work in the field. I am the student representative of the M.S. Counseling Psych program, so if you need any information, I will do what I can to provide it.

I am currently in my last semester at Avila University in the M.S. Counseling Psychology program. It's honestly been an amazing educational experience for me, but is important that you know what you want to do with your degree. Avila prepares you for becoming a Licensed Professional Counselor, and although one of my teachers said that it was the most marketable counseling degree, I really want to be a school counselor, but by the time I realized the different educational requirements, I was already in too deep into this program. Nonetheless, I truly believe this university prepares its students for the real world, and what it is truly like to work in the field. I am the student representative of the M.S. Counseling Psych program, so if you need any information, I will do what I can to provide it.
I am currently attending UCM, which is about an hour from Avila. I live in Raymore and make the hour drive to Warrensburg, although they do have some classes at their Lees Summit campus. UCM may let you transfer. They have two tracks- school counseling and mental health. Contact the program coordinator, Nancy Forth, and see what she has to say. So far this has been a good experience for me and I'm glad that I picked UCM. The thing about school counseling is that after graduation- there is no more internship! You can go be a school counselor right away. With mental health, in MO you need 3,000 hours post graduation and in KS it's 4,000 hours, of internship. That's over like 3 years, assuming you are working full time, just to get a license. :/