Average Step Score for EM in the South?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zback

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have some insight as to what the average Step scores might be for accepted applicants in EM programs in the South?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took at NRMP Charting Outcomes from the Match... you can extrapolate fairly spot on statistics in matching criteria. I doubt programs in the South deviate very far from those numbers. Good luck.

Just took at NRMP Charting Outcomes from the Match... you can extrapolate fairly spot on statistics in matching criteria. I doubt programs in the South deviate very far from those numbers. Good luck.

Precisely. What student really want is info pertaining to particular programs, which is kept pretty tight. Once you know what it takes to match, just make sure you are in the ballpark, but try to be better. Right?

I am looking forward to finding how far my own application will get me. I feel that this will tell me more about what programs are looking for because I know what's in my app.

Precisely. What student really want is info pertaining to particular programs, which is kept pretty tight. Once you know what it takes to match, just make sure you are in the ballpark, but try to be better. Right?

I am looking forward to finding how far my own application will get me. I feel that this will tell me more about what programs are looking for because I know what's in my app.
i get what you're saying but regardless of your score, the only answer that matters is DID YOU GET AN INTERVIEW? scores are only a part of the ERAS. so you're asking "how do I max my app?" make it well rounded and apply broadly to only the places that you're willing to go. from there narrow down the interviews. there are plenty of people with fantastic scores that didn't get interviews where their counterparts with lower scores had (and vice versa). seriously the scores are not a hidden secret as you think. NRMP stats are almost spot on. you can have a 268 but if you don't apply, the answer's already NO

Hello. Has it ever happened that an applicant for ER has a very high step1(say 250+), gets 20+ interviews and still does not match anywhere? Let's say I completely suck at interviews. I do know that there are about 90 positions for 100 applicants but if at each individual residency there are something like 10 applicants to a spot does it mean that the interview might be one of the more important factors in rankings?

Also. I am only starting med school. And I understand that if I do poorly on my 3rd year rotations I might not even get a lot of interviews. And if I don't interview well I might not do well on rotations... And I assume doing well on rotations is what gets u good LORs. But besides that what else could you do to become "well rounded"?

Somehow I doubt it is a good idea to go volunteer in Haiti or some other vague activity I know nothing about. My main beef with volunteering is that I do not feel I am very useful anywhere as a nonprofessional. And it's not like I will have a lot of free time in med school. I kind of plan to work out in my time off so I dont become fat. So if I cannot put on my resume anything besides my grades and my scores, does that alone make me deficient? Or what can successful applicants say during their interviews that they've accomplished during their 4yrs besides studying? What are some things that a good 4th yr student can say when asked "tell me about yourself" during his interview?

i get what you're saying but regardless of your score, the only answer that matters is DID YOU GET AN INTERVIEW? scores are only a part of the ERAS. so you're asking "how do I max my app?" make it well rounded and apply broadly to only the places that you're willing to go. from there narrow down the interviews. there are plenty of people with fantastic scores that didn't get interviews where their counterparts with lower scores had (and vice versa). seriously the scores are not a hidden secret as you think. NRMP stats are almost spot on. you can have a 268 but if you don't apply, the answer's already NO

:thumbup:

Hello. Has it ever happened that an applicant for ER has a very high step1(say 250+), gets 20+ interviews and still does not match anywhere? Let's say I completely suck at interviews. I do know that there are about 90 positions for 100 applicants but if at each individual residency there are something like 10 applicants to a spot does it mean that the interview might be one of the more important factors in rankings?

Also. I am only starting med school. And I understand that if I do poorly on my 3rd year rotations I might not even get a lot of interviews. And if I don't interview well I might not do well on rotations... And I assume doing well on rotations is what gets u good LORs. But besides that what else could you do to become "well rounded"?

Somehow I doubt it is a good idea to go volunteer in Haiti or some other vague activity I know nothing about. My main beef with volunteering is that I do not feel I am very useful anywhere as a nonprofessional. And it's not like I will have a lot of free time in med school. I kind of plan to work out in my time off so I don't become fat. So if I cannot put on my resume anything besides my grades and my scores, does that alone make me deficient? Or what can successful applicants say during their interviews that they've accomplished during their 4yrs besides studying? What are some things that a good 4th yr student can say when asked "tell me about yourself" during his interview?
I don't know about 20+ but I do know this past round some with 12+ and great scores didn't get in. so obviously it was either bad interview techniques or just didn't bring his A game on rotations. everything from ERAS to audition rotations to interview plays a role. the latter definitely weighs more. I am not going to dive too in depth. click on my posts or do a search, there's a ton of info on here. by the way there are way less positions for applicants. every year it's getting more and more competitive.

everybody tries to work out to keep down the fat in med school. that will be used in conjunction with your netters. a lot at first, then none towards the end. the whole well rounded thing is to 1. make your app stand out against others 2. show you've got something in your personality besides the standard "grades and scores". it's not that you're deficient, just won't stand out as much as the next person. there are plenty you can say, any research you've done, charity events, places you visited, hobbies you've picked up...etc. you've got time in yrs 3-4. esp 4. the best interviews I've noticed are the ones in which we talk about everything else in the world except the ERAS.

With all of the above said, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I recall reading the average score for somebody that matches EM is in the low 220's?

I don't know about 20+ but I do know this past round some with 12+ and great scores didn't get in. so obviously it was either bad interview techniques or just didn't bring his A game on rotations. everything from ERAS to audition rotations to interview plays a role. the latter definitely weighs more. I am not going to dive too in depth. click on my posts or do a search, there's a ton of info on here. by the way there are way less positions for applicants. every year it's getting more and more competitive.

everybody tries to work out to keep down the fat in med school. that will be used in conjunction with your netters. a lot at first, then none towards the end. the whole well rounded thing is to 1. make your app stand out against others 2. show you've got something in your personality besides the standard "grades and scores". it's not that you're deficient, just won't stand out as much as the next person. there are plenty you can say, any research you've done, charity events, places you visited, hobbies you've picked up...etc. you've got time in yrs 3-4. esp 4. the best interviews I've noticed are the ones in which we talk about everything else in the world except the ERAS.

Thanks! I am reading more of your posts.

Somehow I doubt it is a good idea to go volunteer in Haiti or some other vague activity I know nothing about. My main beef with volunteering is that I do not feel I am very useful anywhere as a nonprofessional. And it's not like I will have a lot of free time in med school. I kind of plan to work out in my time off so I dont become fat. So if I cannot put on my resume anything besides my grades and my scores, does that alone make me deficient? Or what can successful applicants say during their interviews that they've accomplished during their 4yrs besides studying? What are some things that a good 4th yr student can say when asked "tell me about yourself" during his interview?

Yeah, Who has time to help the folks in impoverished areas when there's working out to be done?!?

You can't solicit answers for "tell me about yourself" on a message board.

You could get 250+, do okay to great on your 3rd year rotations, do reasonably well at interviews and STILL NOT MATCH. You might anyway even with only some of those things. Look, you're looking for guarantees and reassurance that with a good score on a standardized test you will get that which you covet - a desirable residency spot. I'm here to tell you there is no reassurance to be given here. Work hard. Explore things outside of medicine. Don't be afraid to fail.

I hope when you re-read your own post you realize your impediments to matching in a great residency, at least at this point, lie not in the randomness of 3rd year clerkship performance perception or interview savvy but in a more fundamental realm.