average step 1 scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osar92

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there any way to find out the average board scores for different residency programs? i know places don't usually advertise these stats on their websites.... but how do you know if you are competitive for a certain program? is it appropriate to email / contact a program with your stats and just ask if you would be a competitive applicant?

Thanks for any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

osar92 said:
is there any way to find out the average board scores for different residency programs? i know places don't usually advertise these stats on their websites.... but how do you know if you are competitive for a certain program? is it appropriate to email / contact a program with your stats and just ask if you would be a competitive applicant?

Thanks for any responses.

apgo.org has a space for the average step scores and average GPA of current residents... but several of the programs don't fill it out. Most places have a minimum step 1 score - I saw "pass" on several, 185 on a few, 200 on rare ones. If your school is a member of the directory, they've got a password for you to access the info.
Good luck.

my school is not a member of that directory, so would it be absurd to send out a few emails with my stats to see if i am competitive at a partciular program or not?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
osar92 said:
my school is not a member of that directory, so would it be absurd to send out a few emails with my stats to see if i am competitive at a partciular program or not?

thanks

me too...i dont have access.
could someone post the california schools and their avg?

thanks.

TY06 said:
me too...i dont have access.
could someone post the california schools and their avg?

thanks.

Info. in APGO directory for California residency programs and Board scores. The Board scores reported are the " current resident average USMLE score". Not all programs have updated info. and not all programs are listed in the directory. Also some programs are in the directory but don't report Board scores. Dates below indicate the last date the info. for the program was updated. The first score is Step I/the second score is Step II

Kern (6/04) -------------------- 198/ 194
LAC/USC (8/02) ---------------- 222 / 221
ML King/Drew (7/06)------------ 210 / 215
UCLA Olive View (12/05) ------- 215 / 215
UC Irvine (11/05) ------------- 230 / 235
UC Davis (12/05) ------------- 210 / 230
UC San Diego (12/05) ---------- 226 / 235
Stanford (12/05) ------------- 220 / 220
Harbor UCLA (11/05)---------- 205 / 205

Additionally, some programs report the minimum Board score to obtain an interview. Most programs don't give this info -- but here is what is there.

MLKing/Drew-- 195-200
Kern -- 180
UCLA Olive --200
Stanford -- 200
Harbor UCLA -- 195

kauai said:
Info. in APGO directory for California residency programs and Board scores. The Board scores reported are the " current resident average USMLE score". Not all programs have updated info. and not all programs are listed in the directory. Also some programs are in the directory but don't report Board scores. Dates below indicate the last date the info. for the program was updated. The first score is Step I/the second score is Step II

Kern (6/04) -------------------- 198/ 194
LAC/USC (8/02) ---------------- 222 / 221
ML King/Drew (7/06)------------ 210 / 215
UCLA Olive View (12/05) ------- 215 / 215
UC Irvine (11/05) ------------- 230 / 235
UC Davis (12/05) ------------- 210 / 230
UC San Diego (12/05) ---------- 226 / 235
Stanford (12/05) ------------- 220 / 220
Harbor UCLA (11/05)---------- 205 / 205

Additionally, some programs report the minimum Board score to obtain an interview. Most programs don't give this info -- but here is what is there.

MLKing/Drew-- 195-200
Kern -- 180
UCLA Olive --200
Stanford -- 200
Harbor UCLA -- 195

anybody have the stats for Tejas?

Why should Irvine's scores be so high?

judd

juddson said:
Why should Irvine's scores be so high?

judd

its irvine...not too shabby a place to live ya know. furthermore, we are not talking about medical school classes here. residency programs don't have a whole lot of people, so a few residents in the program with insane board scores can drastically change the institution's average.

My school isn't a member of the directory. What are the avg. scores for the Brigham and Women's, the Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, and Northwestern?

My school isn't a member of the directory. What are the avg. scores for the Brigham and Women's, the Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, and Northwestern?

You don't need a login anymore to use the Residency search function on APGO (I wonder if you used to since this thread is years old). The link again is https://www.apgo.org/component/residencydirectory

I couldn't find Brigham and Women's in the database (weird)
Cleveland Clinic - no average or minimum step scores reported
Mayo - 220 is listed as the average step 1 and step 2 score, AND the minimum for interview - looks like someone filled the form out wrong...
Northwestern - avg 235 on Step 1, 245 on Step 2, minimum 200