Average Step 1 Scores for California IM Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jibberjabber

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive are Cali programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Midwesterner here (sorry) but is one of those UCLA the university program and one the community program?

UCLA Reagan is the official University program. Harbor > Olive View, you will still get fellowship opportunities but in a relatively restricted geography.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA Reagan is the official University program. Harbor > Olive View, you will still get fellowship opportunities but in a relatively restricted geography.

Even Olive View, which is a pure community program with loose ties to THE UCLA but has UCLA in the name, essentially takes only American MD grads. It is a hospital that serves a very large indigent hispanic population.

In addition to IM (and all specialties) becoming more competitive lately, having UCLA in the name and being in LA (albeit not a good part of LA, but residents typically commute) gets a lot of interest from American MD grads.

Even Olive View, which is a pure community program with loose ties to THE UCLA but has UCLA in the name, essentially takes only American MD grads. It is a hospital that serves a very large indigent hispanic population.

In addition to IM (and all specialties) becoming more competitive lately, having UCLA in the name and being in LA (albeit not a good part of LA, but residents typically commute) gets a lot of interest from American MD grads.

If I recall correctly UCLA Olive View is actually part of the UCLA hospital system (so you get a UCLA diploma, etc.), whereas UCLA Harbor is part of the LA County hospital system. A lot of OV residents end up doing research at UCLA proper. That being said, Harbor > Olive View, generally speaking.

I interviewed at both in the 2012-13 season and personally liked Olive View better. That said, the harbor program did seem more hardcore, and the post-interview dinner at harbor was some of the most fun I had all season. Olive View did more rotations at UCLA proper if I remember right, and I liked the hospital/location more. Both seemed to have an excellent education.

Both are LAC Hospitals. Both were (?are) in the process of transitioning to EMR. And both had a ton of free food.

Why?

My understanding is that they offer decent training but are not really well-known university programs. Fellowships close by have experience with these residents and are comfortable with their level of training, but fellowships farther away (who are less familiar with these residents) generally prefer to select candidates from more competitive and more "known-quantity" university programs. Of course this is referring to e.g. Cards / GI fellowships, if you want to do Nephro / Geriatrics nobody is going to stop you.

Reactions: 1 user
anyone actually know the average range for these programs? didn't hear a real response...

USC
UC-Irvine
Loma Linda
UCLA Harbor
UCLA Olive View
Kaiser So Cal
Kaiser Nor Cal
CPMC

anyone actually know the average range for these programs? didn't hear a real response...

USC
UC-Irvine
Loma Linda
UCLA Harbor
UCLA Olive View
Kaiser So Cal
Kaiser Nor Cal
CPMC

I don't think anyone here can answer that with any more accuracy than saying: "Well, they are not ultra competitive programs so let say... 230's Step 1"
If you want an actual answer, you'll have to actually contact the programs