Average step 1 score for EM/IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlmostAnMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did some searching, couldn't find anything (on this forum or on google in general).

Anyone have any idea how much higher (or same) step 1 scores are for EM/IM applicants vs just EM alone? I can see from last year's match data that 100 people applied for 27 spots, which is a scary % of rejections. Still can't find any step info though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Step 1 score for EMIM applicants should probably be comparable to what the program takes for it's EM applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1 came back today, 239. Borderline? Doable? Seems okay-ish for EM from what I've read.

Kinda pissed I couldn't get one more point to break 240, but I guess I'm just glad I'm 235+!

Currently on my EM rotation, lovin' it.

Step 1 came back today, 239. Borderline? Doable? Seems okay-ish for EM from what I've read.

Kinda pissed I couldn't get one more point to break 240, but I guess I'm just glad I'm 235+!

Currently on my EM rotation, lovin' it.

That will get you a solid look at at a good amount of the programs (if not all) if you have a good story for your interest, strong LOR, and you have strong clinical grades particularly in Medicine, Surgery and EM rotations.

Thanks for the feedback. For personal/family reasons I'd prefer to go back to Ohio State for EM/IM if I go this route, which I understand just started their EM/IM program 2 years ago (I've heard "new" programs aren't as competitive--works in my favor since I just want to go back to OSU). Everything is going really well so far--the only murky detail is what kind of step 1 score closes doors! Charting the Outcomes is killing me by not updating since 2011, which sucks because the average scores seem to be rising... (though I've heard one may come out this year).

Getting great feedback on EM so far. Will see how medicine/surgery goes and post an update later. Thanks!

Finished 5 year dual program, step 1 score was a 239. Getting boarded in both was a challenge for me. Keeping membership in ABEM & ABIM is expensive. Still did fellowship in Pulmonary Critical Care. I feel the training helps me in complex cases.

^congrats!

So, still interested in EM/IM. 4th year is coming up fast, VSAS just opened up.

Quick Q for the 1 or 2 people that can actually answer this question (EM/IM is not too popular it seems!):

The institution I want to match at offers EM, IM, and an EM/IM elective. Any thoughts of which one to do?? It's an EM-driven program I've heard so I'm mostly between EM and EM/IM.

If I go for the EM elective I have more dedicated time with an attending (I assume), maybe get a letter out of it?

But if they offer the EM/IM elective, wouldn't it make sense to go for that? It's two weeks EM and two weeks IM. But my concern is it might be harder to get a LOR when my time with each attending is cut in half. Or do I try to get two letters @_@ ?

Thoughts? Hopefully I'll get a response before match day, this board is slow :p

You wont find too many EM/IM residents on these boards, especially since there are not that many nationwide to begin with. To answer your question, I would shoot for the EM/IM rotation personally. Holler if you have more questions, Im a bit slow checking SDN lately, but will try and respond as soon as I can.

^congrats!

So, still interested in EM/IM. 4th year is coming up fast, VSAS just opened up.

Quick Q for the 1 or 2 people that can actually answer this question (EM/IM is not too popular it seems!):

The institution I want to match at offers EM, IM, and an EM/IM elective. Any thoughts of which one to do?? It's an EM-driven program I've heard so I'm mostly between EM and EM/IM.

If I go for the EM elective I have more dedicated time with an attending (I assume), maybe get a letter out of it?

But if they offer the EM/IM elective, wouldn't it make sense to go for that? It's two weeks EM and two weeks IM. But my concern is it might be harder to get a LOR when my time with each attending is cut in half. Or do I try to get two letters @_@ ?

Thoughts? Hopefully I'll get a response before match day, this board is slow :p

You might as well just have said the name of 'the institution'. Haha. First there are only 12 EM/IM programs total and second there are only 2 EM/IM elective rotations right now that I am aware of.

From the way you worded your description of the rotation it sounds like you are referring to the Maryland EM/IM rotation. That rotation is brand new. Dr. Winters said he was planning on getting an EM/IM rotation set up for the next application season when I was there for an interview.

Although I can't comment on the rotation at Maryland specifically I can comment on the EM/IM rotation at Christiana because I did it last year.

Long story short, it was a great experience. The highlights being: (1) I got to know the leadership of the EM/IM program really well (2) I got to know the EM/IM residents really well (3) Helped to reaffirmed my decision in choosing to apply EM/IM (4) Showed programs I had seriously thought about and was committed to the idea of pursuing EM/IM training.

At least for the EM/IM rotation at Christiana getting a letter was not an issue at all. The letter would most likely come from the EM/IM leadership (PD or assistant PD) not specially from a certain attending on the EM or IM side although I'm sure that could be a possibility.

You may want to think about what type of letter you want to get (EM vs IM, SLOE vs individual letter) and where you intend to send it. For example, if you are applying EM/IM and EM then are you going to send this letter to both the EM/IM programs and the EM programs or just to the EM/IM programs?

It is expected that you send EM SLOEs to the EM/IM programs but I am not sure how a SLOE after a EM/IM rotation would look to just a straight EM program. I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad idea I just don't know how programs without an EM/IM residency would look at it.

In my case, the EM/IM rotation I did was just supplemental to my year. Meaning I already had all my letters by the time I did it. Just some things to think about.

Nope, not Maryland or Christiana! Apparently you missed a third :p But I was actually thinking about doing an EM/IM at Christiana, they at least actually list their EM/IM elective. Only gonna do one EM/IM elective so I'm still deciding which it'll be. Glad you had a good experience at christiana though. May also look into that! thanks

Nope, not Maryland or Christiana! Apparently you missed a third :p But I was actually thinking about doing an EM/IM at Christiana, they at least actually list their EM/IM elective. Only gonna do one EM/IM elective so I'm still deciding which it'll be. Glad you had a good experience at christiana though. May also look into that! thanks

AHHH! I did miss one! Well what I said above probably still holds true for the school 'which will not be named'. Haha. Good luck with your choice. I think any of those rotations will work out just fine. Let me know if you have any other questions. It's a small pool of applicants/residents. Everyone seems to know everyone. I ran into at least 2 of your forth year classmates while interviewing. They're probably your best source of information if you haven't already talked to them.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I've spoken to one of them, just always trying to get more views. Good luck in the match!