AVC class of 2021?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A lot of people have been telling me that island life has its struggles, but no one tells me what they are! It's getting me a little worried lol!
1) Weather. PEI has very long, cold, snowy winters. No one warned me. Nova Scotia tends to be more freeze/thaw so it doesn't accumulate as much.
2) Unemployment. All 4 provinces struggle, but PEI more so. The rate in Feb was 9.8%, compared with 8,1% in NS.
3) Expense. Gas, food, electricity all tend to be more expensive due to shipping from the mainland.
4) Seasonality. The island essentially shuts down from October to May due to its heavy reliance on tourism.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone get off the waitlist yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any Canadians following the thread? I got an interview invite a few weeks ago, curious to see if there's anyone on here interviewing as well!

The waitlist for International students generally moves a lot from what I hear (I'm Canadian). I know some people in my class didn't find out until June.

Also, if any Canadian applicants can feel free to message me regarding the new interview style.

So I was accepted as of 3 days ago off of the waitlist. I am COMPLETELY torn between AVC and SGU (St. George's in Grenada). Is anybody currently torn between schools? If so, how are you approaching the decision?

So I was accepted as of 3 days ago off of the waitlist. I am COMPLETELY torn between AVC and SGU (St. George's in Grenada). Is anybody currently torn between schools? If so, how are you approaching the decision?
This probably won't make your decision any easier but I thought I'd mention that I know someone who graduated from SGU Class of 2015 and she spoke extremely highly of her experience there. She really encouraged me to apply. I haven't applied or really looked into it because it's just SO much more money and I'm not sure I could do it financially. I'm interviewing at AVC as an Atlantic Canadian applicant in May. If you'd be an international student at AVC as well though I guess the price difference probably isn't significant.

I don't really know much about SGU other than the grad I know said that they did a lot of community outreach type of stuff which she really enjoyed and that it was really hot all of the time. As someone who loves snow and turns into a total grumpy pants any time it's any warmer than 25 C, that'd be a point for AVC if it were me, so I guess you should also take the climate difference into consideration.

Is there an accepted students Facebook page?

I'm only on the alternate list for AVC, but I am accepted to SGU. I have no idea what I will do if I'm pulled off of the waitlist. How long did/do you have to give a decision regarding your acceptance/denial for AVC? So I'll be torn between the two schools if I end up getting off the list.

From what @jmo1012 has relayed of her experience at SGU, PEI is a MUCH MUCH more developed place to live. Island life will have its similarities, and PEI is far from perfect, but overall it will be easier to live life as you're accustomed to in PEI versus Grenada.

I got called off the waitlist on 4/19 and they told me I have a week to decide! They definitely give more time than most schools to make up your mind

I got called off the waitlist on 4/19 and they told me I have a week to decide! They definitely give more time than most schools to make up your mind

That's great to hear that they give that much time to decide or not. Did you receive an email or did they call you, if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's great to hear that they give that much time to decide or not. Did you receive an email or did they call you, if you don't mind me asking?

I received an email! I wasn't expecting it to be an acceptance at first cause the subject line said it was forwarded haha but then there was a letter with my name and stuff attached to the email

Hey everyone! Here is a link to AVC Class of 2021 Facebook page (let me know the link doesn't work): Log into Facebook | Facebook

I got my acceptance off of the waitlist last week via email. It was just a forwarded message with the letter of offer attached. Once you have been accepted, you have 7 days to put down a deposit ($500 Canadian) to secure your seat. The email says you will be sent your student login information within a few days in order to log in and pay online, however I have yet to receive that info. Hope that helps!

Guys I am so excited! I got my acceptance letter to AVC on April 18, and I've submitted my deposit. What are people doing for housing? When do you make those decisions?

Guys I am so excited! I got my acceptance letter to AVC on April 18, and I've submitted my deposit. What are people doing for housing? When do you make those decisions?

Congrats!!

Look up AVC Book Exchange on Facebook. People often post looking for roommates or houses/apartments that are available.
There will be a housing list created and added to your class Facebook page - I would think that will start soon.
I'm pretty sure I found my apartment end of June or early July. I paid a deposit and the landlord held it until August for me and used my deposit towards the first month rent.

Do you mind sharing which school you went with? I've had my deposit down at SGU for a while now, but I got called off of the PEI alternate list today.

Any Atlantic Canadian applicants here from Jack about letters? I know he said between June 10-25 at the interview. Just wondering if anyone got any other details.

Nope, and although Jack said the 10th, I'd be lying if I said I haven't been absent-mindedly checking my email several times a day for the last couple of days, just in case haha. How were previous domestic applicants notified of acceptance, can anyone weigh in? I know you get the "official" letter in the mail, but Jack did want to verify everyone's email/phone number on interview day. I kind of assumed the logic behind the wide "spread" in possible notice dates was because they notify accepted students via phone/email, and then those that weren't accepted just receive the letter via snail mail, which would account for the late June notice. I could be totally wrong, would happily be corrected. Should you be expecting a phone call/email, provided you were accepted, in the relatively near future?

Hey, Atlantic Canadian here, and I haven't heard anything yet either. The impression I got on interview day was that everybody would be receiving an email on or before the 15th and that accepted students would also be receiving a snail mail acceptance letter/welcome package type thing. I'm not sure if Jack or my student ambassador or someone else told me this or if I just inferred it (perhaps incorrectly) but that's what I understood. I definitely don't remember hearing anyone say anything about a phone call... And it seems unlikely to me that they'd do that as it would be so much more time consuming and more difficult to relay important information like deadlines for down payments and such. I'm in Tanzania right now so I really hope it's not a phone call! Good luck to all of you, I hope we all get good news soon!

I believe they will be sending letters via snail mail. Though a friend of mine got her notice two years ago via email and a letter came a few dates later. I think it really depends on when the admissions committee meets in June.
Glad to know I'm not the only one constantly checking my email and mailbox!

Two years ago was the exception for email acceptance notification for Canadian students (as far as I know). I asked Jack about this last year and he said, unless the decisions are made later than usual, everyone will receive a letter via snail mail.

Last year I received my letter a little later than others but I believe it was June 13/14.

Check your emails! I just got good news :) Fingers crossed for you all!

Me too!! Congratulations to you, ray.roo. See you in a few months :D

Congratulations to you too Looking forward to meeting you!