AVC class of 2021?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ts524

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
Thought I would start a 2021 thread I applied to PEI because of an awesome gal who is graduating this year from PEI. She was doing her externship at my clinic. Has anyone heard anything yet about interviews? I just found out I have an interview for Glasgow. Would love to hear if anyone has any feedback from PEI yet?

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

On 10/21 I was notified that I was invited to an interview at PEI!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you an international student by chance? Do you know when they are supposed to hear back for interviews?

Yes I'm considered an international student (US), and I would assume you would hear from them soon if you have not already. Their interview date is 11/19. I personally had to confirm my spot by 10/25.

Yes I'm considered an international student (US), and I would assume you would hear from them soon if you have not already. Their interview date is 11/19. I personally had to confirm my spot by 10/25.
Congrats on your interview by the way! Thanks for getting back to me. Did they send your interview invite through email or did you get a letter? I haven't heard anything back from them yet so I'm not sure what's happening with that.

Congrats on your interview by the way! Thanks for getting back to me. Did they send your interview invite through email or did you get a letter? I haven't heard anything back from them yet so I'm not sure what's happening with that.

Thank you! I received my interview request via e-mail on 10/19. I'm sure if you sent Sharon Gotell an e-mail she would gladly discuss it with you. She's been very helpful and patient with all of my questions. Good luck, hope you get some news soon!

Thank you! I received my interview request via e-mail on 10/19. I'm sure if you sent Sharon Gotell an e-mail she would gladly discuss it with you. She's been very helpful and patient with all of my questions. Good luck, hope you get some news soon!
Sounds good. Thank you!! and good luck at your interview:)

Good luck at your interview @DaDappette and let me know if you have any questions about being a US student there :)

Thanks so much, @that redhead! I can't wait for next month to see the school and area, but honestly the two biggest questions I have don't necessarily deal with be a student itself.

(1) Is it difficulty finding housing (preferably furnished) in the surrounding area? (2) How easy/hard is it to find a job? I have a significant other who will be moving with me to wherever I decide to go if I get accepted anywhere, and he's concerned about not having an income.

Thanks so much, @that redhead! I can't wait for next month to see the school and area, but honestly the two biggest questions I have don't necessarily deal with be a student itself.

(1) Is it difficulty finding housing (preferably furnished) in the surrounding area? (2) How easy/hard is it to find a job? I have a significant other who will be moving with me to wherever I decide to go if I get accepted anywhere, and he's concerned about not having an income.

1. Quite easy! When you're accepted you'll get plugged into the new student FB group and tons of housing posts will be waiting for you to browse! I found a nice place that I lived for the first three years, fully furnished. Even if you don't find a fully furnished place, it's pretty easy to pick up cheap furniture from graduating students.

2. Nearly impossible, unfortunately :\ I'd ask your point of contact at the school to get you in touch with someone who's more familiar with the process, but as I understand through a classmate who tried to bring her boyfriend over: you need a visa to work, but you need a job to get a visa. Sadly, islanders prefer to hire islanders/not Americans and the jobs are quite limited, especially so outside of basic labor (think working at the fish plant).

Does anyone have any Idea about the format for the interview. They ask questions based on work experiences? I'm assumming this is a traditional interview format and not a MMI format...

It's 2 on 1 (at least that is what my email says) and they will ask you to expand on your experiences from your VMCAS and how they've shaped your understanding of the profession.

It also looks like they ask very similar questions year to year https://schools.studentdoctor.net/s...c-veterinary-college?reload=1&r=1479143399848

Good luck to anyone else who interviewed this weekend, hope you all get good news!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any Idea about the format for the interview. They ask questions based on work experiences? I'm assumming this is a traditional interview format and not a MMI format...

Definitely check out the interview questions posted in the link above - I used those questions to prep for my interview and all but one or two questions were on there.

Definitely check out the interview questions posted in the link above - I used those questions to prep for my interview and all but one or two questions were on there.

I used them as well, but I think I got two questions from there at most. Unfortunately, international applicants only had 15 minute interviews. Personally, I got through only a few questions, with most of mine be follow up questions to the main question.

Hey, does anyone know if the students that took us through the interview/tour have an impact on your admissions?

Hey, does anyone know if the students that took us through the interview/tour have an impact on your admissions?

I'm pretty sure they have no impact on the admissions decision. Normally the students (at any school, really) are just there to show us around and answer any questions we may have/tell us about the school and program.

I'm pretty sure they have no impact on the admissions decision. Normally the students (at any school, really) are just there to show us around and answer any questions we may have/tell us about the school and program.
I wouldn't assume that about all schools! Some do take student input (Penn comes to mind). But I wouldn't stress about it anyway - just be pleasant and don't give them a reason to say something negative about you.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't assume that about all schools! Some do take student input (Penn comes to mind). But I wouldn't stress about it anyway - just be pleasant and don't give them a reason to say something negative about you.

Hmm, never would have thought. Thanks.

I did those tours for 3 years. At no point did anyone ask me for my opinion of the interviewees. (Which was great, because I generally didn't remember them...)

Does anyone know if we will be receiving admissions updates (acceptance/wait-list/denial) via email or snail mail? Last year's class got letters via snail mail based off of their thread, but I think Sharon told me they would send out an email for us "early January/after the New Year" followed by a packet of information via snail mail if you are accepted. Didn't know if anyone can second this or heard differently?

Does anyone know if we will be receiving admissions updates (acceptance/wait-list/denial) via email or snail mail? Last year's class got letters via snail mail based off of their thread, but I think Sharon told me they would send out an email for us "early January/after the New Year" followed by a packet of information via snail mail if you are accepted. Didn't know if anyone can second this or heard differently?

I thought I remember Sharon saying there would be an email followed by the informational packet.

I'm starting to stress, January is approaching fast

I thought I remember Sharon saying there would be an email followed by the informational packet.

I'm starting to stress, January is approaching fast
I have mid February in my head. I hope I'm wrong and we find out sooner though!

I have mid February in my head. I hope I'm wrong and we find out sooner though!

That's very possible, I probably have it jumbled in my head xD. Whoops. Well then, I'll anticipate February but if I hear sooner (either way), then great!

That's very possible, I probably have it jumbled in my head xD. Whoops. Well then, I'll anticipate February but if I hear sooner (either way), then great!
It is definitely early January, that I am sure of!

From Sharon:

"My goal is to have communications sent this week or early next week. I will be emailing applicants with a decision, and in the event there is an offer... it will be attached to email, as well as mailed to the applicant."

Hope that helps! Good luck to everyone.

From Sharon:

"My goal is to have communications sent this week or early next week. I will be emailing applicants with a decision, and in the event there is an offer... it will be attached to email, as well as mailed to the applicant."

Hope that helps! Good luck to everyone.

Ahh, I can't wait- so nervous. Pretty much my last shot... :/

Has anyone heard anything yet?

I haven't gotten anything yet... :/

Edit: I've been placed on the alternate list

Last edited:
Hi everybody, long time AVC forum thread lurker, first-time poster! I was wondering if anybody had access to the number of applicants accepted from each Atlantic province, and where that information would be available? Thank you!

Hi everybody, long time AVC forum thread lurker, first-time poster! I was wondering if anybody had access to the number of applicants accepted from each Atlantic province, and where that information would be available? Thank you!

Hello, and welcome!!
While I have not neen able to find anything on the AVC website pertaining to how many applicants they accept from each area, I did find some information from the AAVMC (http://aavmc.org/pei.aspx). There is a section that states:

Residency implications: Atlantic Veterinary College contracts with New Brunswick (13), Newfoundland (3), Nova Scotia (16), and the home province P.E.I. (10). International students are admitted on a noncontract basis (21).

However, that was as of March 2016, and they have since added a few more seats (63 to 68), and I want to say the additional seats were added to the international pool; however I am not 100% certain of that. Although that should give you a rough idea unless someone else has the current info?

Hello, and welcome!!
While I have not neen able to find anything on the AVC website pertaining to how many applicants they accept from each area, I did find some information from the AAVMC (http://aavmc.org/pei.aspx). There is a section that states:

Residency implications: Atlantic Veterinary College contracts with New Brunswick (13), Newfoundland (3), Nova Scotia (16), and the home province P.E.I. (10). International students are admitted on a noncontract basis (21).

However, that was as of March 2016, and they have since added a few more seats (63 to 68), and I want to say the additional seats were added to the international pool; however I am not 100% certain of that. Although that should give you a rough idea unless someone else has the current info?

Thank you for your help! I've been reading all the AVC threads for the last 5 years, and I finally finish my undergrad this year so I figured it was time to get my application process started!

I'm debating on which of the provinces to move to, Nova Scotia works best for me (I have a job already), but I'm assuming there are more applicants from NS as well due to the higher population? Anybody have any idea which province would render the greatest probability of acceptance, solely based on seats per applicant?

Thanks again :)

Thank you for your help! I've been reading all the AVC threads for the last 5 years, and I finally finish my undergrad this year so I figured it was time to get my application process started!

I'm debating on which of the provinces to move to, Nova Scotia works best for me (I have a job already), but I'm assuming there are more applicants from NS as well due to the higher population? Anybody have any idea which province would render the greatest probability of acceptance, solely based on seats per applicant?

Thanks again :)

Where are you living currently? Vet schools in Canada are very regionalized, so for that reason alone your best course of action is to apply to whatever school is local to you from your province of permanent residence. In order to establish residency in another province, you need to live there for 12 consecutive months without attending a post-secondary institution before you can be considered a resident - so you would have to delay your application for the duration. Not to mention the hassle and cost associated with getting a new driver's license and provincial health card (both of which you need to provide to AVC during the application process to satisfy residency requirements).

Having said that, if you were still determined to follow through with moving, I've heard from the admissions coordinator that NL and NS are the two toughest provinces to apply from, because the ratio of applicants to seats is consistently higher than for NB/PEI/International.

Reactions: 1 users
Where are you living currently? Vet schools in Canada are very regionalized, so for that reason alone your best course of action is to apply to whatever school is local to you from your province of permanent residence. In order to establish residency in another province, you need to live there for 12 consecutive months without attending a post-secondary institution before you can be considered a resident - so you would have to delay your application for the duration. Not to mention the hassle and cost associated with getting a new driver's license and provincial health card (both of which you need to provide to AVC during the application process to satisfy residency requirements).

Having said that, if you were still determined to follow through with moving, I've heard from the admissions coordinator that NL and NS are the two toughest provinces to apply from, because the ratio of applicants to seats is consistently higher than for NB/PEI/International.

Thanks for your reply :) I'm from Quebec but University of Montreal is out of the picture (language), so moving is my best bet! AVC is the most feasible option I have in the country (and due to finances international isn't an option), but I have yet to decide which province to move to...

Ahh ok, that's unfortunate. I remember reading an article that interviewed a couple students in your position a few months back. NB or PEI are probably your best bets, but of course dependent on where you can secure work. If I were you, I would opt for NB - I am from NL, and I love it more than I can describe, but life on an island (even one that's bridge-accessible to the mainland, like PEI) presents a number of its own challenges that may catch you off guard if you're not prepared for them. Plus travel is a lot easier/less costly from NB to anywhere else when compared to PEI. When I was living in NS, I could fly home for around $300 round-trip - pricing it out from Charlottetown, it's looking more in the realm of $600, plus a stopover in HFX.

Ahh ok, that's unfortunate. I remember reading an article that interviewed a couple students in your position a few months back. NB or PEI are probably your best bets, but of course dependent on where you can secure work. If I were you, I would opt for NB - I am from NL, and I love it more than I can describe, but life on an island (even one that's bridge-accessible to the mainland, like PEI) presents a number of its own challenges that may catch you off guard if you're not prepared for them. Plus travel is a lot easier/less costly from NB to anywhere else when compared to PEI. When I was living in NS, I could fly home for around $300 round-trip - pricing it out from Charlottetown, it's looking more in the realm of $600, plus a stopover in HFX.

Thanks for your input @boncloddy ! I'm currently looking for jobs, so we'll see where that leads me! But from your advice, Fredericton/Charlottetown will be the cities I'll aim for! A lot of people have been telling me that island life has its struggles, but no one tells me what they are! It's getting me a little worried lol!

Also wanted to thank you all for making these threads and keeping them going, they've really helped me guide myself these last few years in regards to Vet school :) Congrats to those who got in, and to those who have yet to get an answer, good luck!

Does anyone have an idea about when to start looking for housing? I looked at usedpei and kijiji but everything is available now or soon. I need something available july/ august. I know I'm looking early, I just don't want to be without housing!! TIA

Does anybody have the list of courses that will be taken in the DVM program? I can't seem to find it!

Does anyone have an idea about when to start looking for housing? I looked at usedpei and kijiji but everything is available now or soon. I need something available july/ august. I know I'm looking early, I just don't want to be without housing!! TIA

Try not to stress, apartments/houses will become available for july/august. Just keep checking back to kijiji. Most students have leases that will expire around then so postings should go up around May/June. Though, if there is something you like, feel free to contact the landlord/company. The manager of my apartment building held my apartment for two months for free so I didn't start paying until I got here in August.
Also there will be a Facebook group and a housing document created that will be updated regularly. Keep an eye out :)

The seat numbers posted above are correct. The extra seats were given to international students.

As a Newfoundlander, I considered moving to a different Atlantic province to try to increase my chances of getting in. From what I can tell, most people move to PEI to try to increase their chances as the number of applicants from the province are usually low. There are several people I know who have been from Quebec that have moved to PEI and gotten in as a PEI resident. The biggest problem (from what I hear!) is that finding a job can be difficult.

Try not to stress, apartments/houses will become available for july/august. Just keep checking back to kijiji. Most students have leases that will expire around then so postings should go up around May/June. Though, if there is something you like, feel free to contact the landlord/company. The manager of my apartment building held my apartment for two months for free so I didn't start paying until I got here in August.
Also there will be a Facebook group and a housing document created that will be updated regularly. Keep an eye out :)
Echo the above. Coming from Halifax I was used to looking for housing months in advance. In Charlottetown its more like weeks. Very stress inducing if you're like me and need to have things sorted out well ahead of time. Many places go by word of mouth too, so watch the AVC Facebook pages.