Australia registration- gaps in clinical practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radio Trainee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm an IMG Radiologist,
Want to work in Australia and get registration liscence to practice.
Can you please guide regarding,
1) recency of practice guidelines for Radiologists
2) I've gap of about 3 yrs after residency training and obtaining post graduate qualification in my home country, however have worked afterwards for a year .

Will this gap pose difficulty of any sort for registration with APHRA or RANZCR??
3) what additional paperwork is required by these authorities/college for this gap??
4) is this gap negative for any reason on my cv or registration?
5) how are such gaps in clinical practice taken in Australia??
6)any other guidance regarding this matter would be appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

image.gif

Welp. For one, I'm way too junior in my training to give much of a response to that level. And I have no idea about what the colleges or AHPRA thinks in terms of licensing for IMGs (who are fully qualified in their home countries) with gaps in practice. I would suggest phoning and asking them directly, or looking at the website more closely. Very generally, you'll need to have taken the AMC exams to get registration - I can't tell if you've done this yet.

Jobswise, radiology is really competitive for training or jobs afterwards. There's no shortage in people applying, so no one's going to be in a hurry to hire IMGs, particularly ones with gaps in clinical practice. It goes without saying that in the current job market (unless you're looking to be a rural family doctor), you'd have to have a bloody good reason for having a gap in practice (like research etc.).

For general questions about the IMG registration or licensing process in Australia - try this thread. US doctor moving to Australia

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user